Honeymoon on Freedom of the Seas - Sept 11

Joe,

First, congrats on your upcoming marriage. With all the planning you're trying to do, sounds like your fiancee is a very lucky lady indeed.

First, you may want to join your Meet&Mingle. This is where there are others on your sailing as well. We always find it's part of the excitement getting to know others you'll be sailing with. We've made good friends this way and makes i just that much more fun. Here's the link for that. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188977

Next, if you search there are a number of reviews of peoples recent FOS Western sailings, including mine. I've pasted a couple here for your convenience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1397500

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411117

And mine...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399276

Gator's suggestion for the couples massage in Labadee is a must (at least for hubby and I). One suggestion, make your appt for it when you board on the 11th. Those spots book up quickly.

Since this was our second trip to Cozumel, we did the Tulum tour. On our first trip we did the Royal Swim with the Dolphins. That was THE HIGHLIGHT of our trip. We did not book through the ship as they were already sold out. Turns out we had more time in the water and interacted more with the dolphins than the groups through the ship.

Well, I could probably keep posting suggestions, but I'll leave room for others.

Erika

Joe,

First, congrats on your upcoming marriage. With all the planning you're trying to do, sounds like your fiancee is a very lucky lady indeed.

First, you may want to join your Meet&Mingle. This is where there are others on your sailing as well. We always find it's part of the excitement getting to know others you'll be sailing with. We've made good friends this way and makes i just that much more fun. Here's the link for that. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188977

Next, if you search there are a number of reviews of peoples recent FOS Western sailings, including mine. I've pasted a couple here for your convenience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1397500

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1411117

And mine...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399276

Gator's suggestion for the couples massage in Labadee is a must (at least for hubby and I). One suggestion, make your appt for it when you board on the 11th. Those spots book up quickly.

Since this was our second trip to Cozumel, we did the Tulum tour. On our first trip we did the Royal Swim with the Dolphins. That was THE HIGHLIGHT of our trip. We did not book through the ship as they were already sold out. Turns out we had more time in the water and interacted more with the dolphins than the groups through the ship.

Well, I could probably keep posting suggestions, but I'll leave room for others.

Erika

birdylady - you post is much appreciated and i would love you to keep posting. Also - thanks for your kind words also. Yea we are mad to do couples massage - tell me can we do Jet Ski in Labadee. Do you think we should book swim with dolphins with RC.

Really Really Really exitited about the whole honeymoon

Hi all

Logged onto RC website this eve to make reservations for Chops but the following in red comes up

"There are currently no Specialty Restaurants and Dining Experiences options for your sailing"

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?:confused::confused:

Hi all

Logged onto RC website this eve to make reservations for Chops but the following in red comes up

"There are currently no Specialty Restaurants and Dining Experiences options for your sailing"

I can help. You can't book chops until I think 60 days before sail date. Maybe less. Keep checking back.

birdylady - you post is much appreciated and i would love you to keep posting. Also - thanks for your kind words also. Yea we are mad to do couples massage - tell me can we do Jet Ski in Labadee. Do you think we should book swim with dolphins with RC.

Really Really Really exitited about the whole honeymoon

Hi all

I know you can do jet ski at Labadee. I watched a group go out at one point. It looked like they went out as a group and came back as a group. I don't know if you can book to go out on your own or only as a group.

I wouldn't worry about making reservations for Chops on-line. We were able to book when we boarded, no problem on date and time. And we were even able to change from 2 to 4 people the next day when some folks wanted to join us.

Now, the couples massage on the beach, I couldn't find ANY available times available for booking on-line when I looked. But when we boarded we were able to book that (first thing for us, didn't want to risk missing it).

And for swim with the dolphins, I would recommend you don't book through the ship. When we did it a couple years ago, we couldn't and booked through ShoreTrips. But you can also book directly through Chakaanab. Our group was in the water and interacted more with the dolphins than did the ship group. Chakanaab is easy enough to get there by cab. And whether you book through the ship or otherwise, you can spend the rest of the day there if you wish. They have nice beaches, a restaurant and bar and I believe also waiters that will get you drinks. But for more detail, you probably should check the destinations section of CC.

Erika

We were considering this cruise for our Honeymoon, but in the end, we didn't because of a large group of English arriving just before the wedding, and staying until well after. That said, definitely book at least 1 night at Chops, personally, I tend not to do formal nights in specialty restaurants, as that is when they have some of the best selections of food in the MDR normally. If they have one, and you don't mind the usual cheesy acting by the dance crew, check out the Murder Mystery dinner. Its a ton of fun, really over the top acting, and a good time; it is a group setting dinner however.

Normally, I don't book any spa appointments until I'm on board, when we were on the Radiance of the Seas last year, they had a nice couples package available only on the first day, that included a couples massage, an hour in the Rasul room (which is an experience in its own to say the least), and 2 minor things out of a list (facials, pedicures, etc).

Definitely research your ports of call, and I hope you have fun!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, my daughter did back to back cruises last Nov for her honeymoon. We are of Irish Decent. County Kerry and Cork, Mahoney's, Stewarts, Dwyers.

Anyway to answer your question, we did my time dining on a cruise, it was ok since we traveled with another couple, but I prefer to have a dining time at a table to meet new people. Since you are on your honeymoon you may appreciate the alone time together with each other. Good luck, we are going on the Freedom on Sept 11th!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, my daughter did back to back cruises last Nov for her honeymoon. We are of Irish Decent. County Kerry and Cork, Mahoney's, Stewarts, Dwyers.

Anyway to answer your question, we did my time dining on a cruise, it was ok since we traveled with another couple, but I prefer to have a dining time at a table to meet new people. Since you are on your honeymoon you may appreciate the alone time together with each other. Good luck, we are going on the Freedom on Sept 11th!

Thanks for the kind words - thats my thinking - because its our honeymoon we will want to spend our dining time more than likely alone most of time unless she gets feed up with me - LOL! On MTD can you sit on a group table aswell or do you have to sit alone all of the time. Also how long generally do you have to wait to be seated once arriving at the MDR. Thanks:)

my TA has us down for MTD, What are peoples view of it and how does it work?

Is there more pros than cons with it?

Thanks

MTD is great and has more pros than con's IMO. You still need to give them and approx. time or you may have to wait for a table 10-15 min. You also have a very good chance of getting a table for 2 by the window. You also don't feel hurried to get from the port to get ready for dinner.

The down side is that you won't meet any other couples that way, and you don't always get the same waiters.

my TA has us down for MTD, What are peoples view of it and how does it work?

Is there more pros than cons with it?

Thanks

Personally, I like regular early seating. I like getting to know the servers. They get to know you and how you like to dine. Also you get to know those at your table, and sometimes others around you.

Usually, I am with a group, so it is nice having everyone getting together for dinner, so you know you will see everyone at least once a day, discuss what you did for the day, what plans for tomorrow, etc.

And if you find one night's time inconvenient, just skip it, do the WJ, room service, JRs, etc.

MTD is great and has more pros than con's IMO. You still need to give them and approx. time or you may have to wait for a table 10-15 min. You also have a very good chance of getting a table for 2 by the window. You also don't feel hurried to get from the port to get ready for dinner.

The down side is that you won't meet any other couples that way, and you don't always get the same waiters.

How and when do you give them an approx time. Also if we don;t have the same waiters how does pre paid gratitudes work = i hope this isn't a silly question:confused::confused:

Personally, I like regular early seating. I like getting to know the servers. They get to know you and how you like to dine. Also you get to know those at your table, and sometimes others around you.

Usually, I am with a group, so it is nice having everyone getting together for dinner, so you know you will see everyone at least once a day, discuss what you did for the day, what plans for tomorrow, etc.

And if you find one night's time inconvenient, just skip it, do the WJ, room service, JRs, etc.

Pardon the ignorance - what are you referring to when you talk about "JRs":confused:

JR= Johnny Rockets, the burger restaurant that carries and extra charge for dining.

About the massage- if you book, make sure they record that it is a couple's massage. We tried to do this on Labadee a few cruises ago. We went first thing, got the time we wanted, etc. so I was thrilled. My receipt said "couples" but they only booked us with 1 therapist on Labadee. Found out in the morning when we arrived, when both of us showed up at the spa (we were to go over in an early tender, accompanied by our therapists).

In the end, it worked out well. It was a very humid day on Labadee and I think I would have been too hot to have it done outside. They made it up to us by rebooking a couples massage onboard, which was lovely, and added a free Rasul treatment- you might want to consider this as well. Very affordable and very "romantic." You have an hour in a private steam/shower room and provided with muds and lotions to rub all over each other.:cool:

The nice thing about MTD is that you can get a table for 2 but if you meet a couple that you would like to dine with, you could always get a table for 4 one night (if they are on MTD too). The gratuities get shared around equally with all the waiters in MTD, so don't worry. You can also ask to be seated with the same waiters each night if you find one that is really good.

In terms of the wine, the cheapest glasses are about $6 but most are $8-10. My husband doesn't drink wine, so either get wine by the glass or a small package (ie 3 bottle for 7 nights). If you don't finish the bottle, they will bring it out the next night or send it to the specialty restaurant. I know that the wine packages save about 25% off the regular bottle price if you choose the more expensive wines. Someone on CC has created a chart of savings for the wine packages but I haven't seen it for a while.

Make sure that you have your honeymoon listed in the special occassions part of your reservation, so that you will get an invite to the party. If you booked through a TA, get them to do it.

Have a great honeymoon! We honeymooned in Ireland and Donegal and Killkenny were two of our favourite areas. We went back to Donegal for our fifth anniversary and had a great time hiking.

Cheers,

JR= Johnny Rockets, the burger restaurant that carries and extra charge for dining.

About the massage- if you book, make sure they record that it is a couple's massage. We tried to do this on Labadee a few cruises ago. We went first thing, got the time we wanted, etc. so I was thrilled. My receipt said "couples" but they only booked us with 1 therapist on Labadee. Found out in the morning when we arrived, when both of us showed up at the spa (we were to go over in an early tender, accompanied by our therapists).

In the end, it worked out well. It was a very humid day on Labadee and I think I would have been too hot to have it done outside. They made it up to us by rebooking a couples massage onboard, which was lovely, and added a free Rasul treatment- you might want to consider this as well. Very affordable and very "romantic." You have an hour in a private steam/shower room and provided with muds and lotions to rub all over each other.:cool:

The nice thing about MTD is that you can get a table for 2 but if you meet a couple that you would like to dine with, you could always get a table for 4 one night (if they are on MTD too). The gratuities get shared around equally with all the waiters in MTD, so don't worry. You can also ask to be seated with the same waiters each night if you find one that is really good.

In terms of the wine, the cheapest glasses are about $6 but most are $8-10. My husband doesn't drink wine, so either get wine by the glass or a small package (ie 3 bottle for 7 nights). If you don't finish the bottle, they will bring it out the next night or send it to the specialty restaurant. I know that the wine packages save about 25% off the regular bottle price if you choose the more expensive wines. Someone on CC has created a chart of savings for the wine packages but I haven't seen it for a while.

Make sure that you have your honeymoon listed in the special occassions part of your reservation, so that you will get an invite to the party. If you booked through a TA, get them to do it.

Have a great honeymoon! We honeymooned in Ireland and Donegal and Killkenny were two of our favourite areas. We went back to Donegal for our fifth anniversary and had a great time hiking.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for your detailed input = its much appreciated. I will get TA to say we are on Honeymoon. Can you buy wine package once on ship or does it have to pre purchased.

I must say there is no place like home - but Kilkenny is a Superb place with great people - I'm here 7 years and still love the place

I was looking through threads today and have a new question to pose to you fine people.

- I was wondering is there anytime of the year that FOS has a quiet season. Which leads onto will our sailing departing on 4th Sept be full or nearly or whats the view. Might seem like daft question - but struggle to find the answer.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS - REALLY ENJOY AND APPRECIATE THE EFFORT PEOPLE GO TOO!:D

Nachi Cocum is a private beach, all inclusive, in Cozumel. It costs 49.00 pp. They only allow 100 people per day. You have all of your drinks and three course lunch included as well as a palapas (not sure if that the right spelling) which you can sit under for shade, plus loungers. They have a swim up bar and pool as well. You can book it through a private company (just google nachi cocum) and they charge your credit card 12.00 with you paying the remaining balance in cash when you arrive. If your ship is diverted due to hurricanes you will get a refund. There are videos on u tube showing the place to see if it would appeal to you. You must take your confirmation with you as the taxi will only take you if he sees you have a reservation. Cost is about 15.00 for the taxi. You could do this for the first half of the day and then shop. I've heard, but not experienced it, that the Malfini Beach excursion on labadee is great, private, and would be romantic. Read about it under shore excursions in Labadee. Also the ever popular U tube has a couple of videos of Malfini. As for the couples massage, remember September is very HOT so u may want to do that in a spa. Hope this is helpful!

Nachi Cocum is a private beach, all inclusive, in Cozumel. It costs 49.00 pp. They only allow 100 people per day. You have all of your drinks and three course lunch included as well as a palapas (not sure if that the right spelling) which you can sit under for shade, plus loungers. They have a swim up bar and pool as well. You can book it through a private company (just google nachi cocum) and they charge your credit card 12.00 with you paying the remaining balance in cash when you arrive. If your ship is diverted due to hurricanes you will get a refund. There are videos on u tube showing the place to see if it would appeal to you. You must take your confirmation with you as the taxi will only take you if he sees you have a reservation. Cost is about 15.00 for the taxi. You could do this for the first half of the day and then shop. I've heard, but not experienced it, that the Malfini Beach excursion on labadee is great, private, and would be romantic. Read about it under shore excursions in Labadee. Also the ever popular U tube has a couple of videos of Malfini. As for the couples massage, remember September is very HOT so u may want to do that in a spa. Hope this is helpful!

All of this sounds really excellent - by the way when you say VERY HOT - what temperature are you talking about - bearing in mind we are MILK BOTTLE Irish:eek::eek::eek:

You will probably have a quiet sailing because this will be right at the beginning of the new school year, so very few kids:)

I was kinda thinking this might be the case. Will the ship be generally quiet or will it be sold out

High temps about 86-89, extremely humid, of course there is usually a breeze which cools things off considerably. Also one or two cloudbursts with hard tropical rain once or twice a day. I'm Irish, too. Mothers name was Bonnie Murphy, so red hair and freckles, but have lived in south Florida for 40 years. Bring plenty of sun screen, spray on is the best, in 50 or higher. Try a few types out and see which one works best. Happy sailing and marriage!

Joe, my daughter Eimear and I were fried on Grand Cayman, worst sunburn I've had in 10 years. We made a really stupid mistake. We put on the Factor 20 that morning, but after swimming with the stingrays, we forgot to reapply it. BIG mistake.

Re - the numbers, the ship will be as near as no matter to full, but the crowd may be slightly older than a summer cruise would be.

We had MTD for our last cruise and ended up with the same wait staff every night, but we were on a smaller ship. We had late seating on Freedom, which worked fine. With the gratuities, MTD is only available if they are prepaid, so presumably they have a pooling system on board.

Johnny Rockets is very good if you're a burger fan (Think Eddie Rockets and you won't go too far wrong.)

The roll call for your cruise is always a good idea, I see an earlier poster linked to it.

Here's a link to my Facebook album from the cruise, if your a member, send me a friend request.

Donal.

Looked into the Romance Packages - great idea - will take up one of those for sure. Ive booked the balcony cabin 6274 I think so hopefully thats a good location. I am defiantly going to book chops - just wondering would it be a good idea to have it booked on our formal night and can we sit as couple or will be on a group table. Also love the idea of a couples massage - any recommendations when to book this?:)

Cruising "Secret" -- Royal Caribbean plans their best meals in the Main Dining Room for at-sea nights, so book your specialty restaurant while in port. Formal night is usually "at-sea," when everyone has no choice but to dine on the ship. Have a blast, whatever you decide!

Firstly, congratulations on your marriage!! :D

Myself and Patrick had our own honeymoon on Freedom of the seas in 2007, and loved every minute of it! I did a 'live from' review charting our trip back then, which can be read here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659358 if you're interested.

Also, I'm not up to date on the brochures, or whether Ireland gets the same brochures as in England, but when we booked, we received a complimentary romance package because it was our honeymoon. Just had to provide proof of our intention to marry (we faxed a copy of our wedding certificate over, as we wed 2 weeks before the cruise). It got us hors d'eurves, chocolate-strawberries, champagne etc; but best of all was the photo frame an picture, which is still on our mantleplace. :)

Archived