Tipping on excursions in Alaska

infoprof56

I have prebooked a few private excursions for our July Alaska cruise tour. I am unsure of the protocol for tipping on these types of excursions. Does anyone have an idea of the normal tip situation? Do we tip? If so what would the average percentage be? I tend to be an over-tipper so I would like to get an idea of the norm? The three excursions are:

Mt. McKinley flight seeing out of Talkeetna,

A private wheal watch watching trip out of Hoonah where the captain is the owner of the company, and

A Rail/Van tour to Emerald Lake out of Skagway.

You should find this thread helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1331077

We do tip if service was great and we were provided with a wonderful experience. However, we found that in Alaska, many do not tip. I think they feel for what they paid for an excursion, it is enough. On one excursion we went on, I had money in my pocket ready to tip, but no one was there to accept the money as we left. I did not go out of my way to find the tour provider.

I don't generally tip owners as they have already built their profit margin into the excursion price and have the ability to make those decisions. I also only tip for service above and beyond and not just for giving me a standard tour. That's what I'm suppose to get for my money regardless. I think it has become way too "customary" for people to just expect tips because you're a tourist and they are a tour guide. JMHO.

It's a tough call as to what might be considered the "norm."

We did a tour where we were in a tour van for 4~5 hours. The driver was very entertaining and knowledgeable. At the photo stops he milled around and would take pictures of the guests in front of a sign or waterfall with their cameras. It was my wife and I, and I had just no idea what to tip, but I wanted to leave something. Ended up giving him 15 bucks each. He kept the money folded and didn't look at it, and gave us a very gracious thank you.

One of the tour boats we took had a tip container, and the captain gently and politely reminded us that his helpers on the boat depend on tips. Left something there. Another one made no mention, and had no container, and the crew wasn't standing around hoping to be given tips. No one to tip there.

Funny, I tend to tip best if they say nothing, and least if they put pressure on.

Thanks so much for the "tips" on tipping - no pun intended! Now for a question I don't see here - we are going salmon fishing in Ketchikan on a chartered boat. I think that they normally take up to five people, but offered us the whole charter for a price that was too good to pass up. We jumped at the chance to have the charter to ourselves - not being anti-social, it's just a dream of my husband's do the salmon fishing and to have the captain's undivided attention and help is worth the extra that we are paying.

So, the question is - how do we tip? Has anyone done this before where you chartered the whole boat? Do we tip? If he normally receives tips from families or individuals, he obviously won't be getting the norm. We don't want to slight him...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sue

Thanks so much for the "tips" on tipping - no pun intended! Now for a question I don't see here - we are going salmon fishing in Ketchikan on a chartered boat. I think that they normally take up to five people, but offered us the whole charter for a price that was too good to pass up. We jumped at the chance to have the charter to ourselves - not being anti-social, it's just a dream of my husband's do the salmon fishing and to have the captain's undivided attention and help is worth the extra that we are paying.

So, the question is - how do we tip? Has anyone done this before where you chartered the whole boat? Do we tip? If he normally receives tips from families or individuals, he obviously won't be getting the norm. We don't want to slight him...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sue

I certainly would be tipping.

Thanks,

Sue

I think once the tour is over, you will have an idea of what you feel the tip should be. Anything over and above the rate that was quoted to you will be appreciated. As mentioned before, not everyone tips for tours. They feel the cost more than covers their tour. Just let your experience guide you.

AS STATED IN MY CRUISE DOCUMENTS I JUST DOWNLOADED FOR MY JUNE ALASKA CRUISE. I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL

"Gratuities

Many guests have requested a tipping guideline for the

cruisetours. We suggest US$3.50 per person/per day for

your Tour Director and US$2.50 per person/per day for your

motorcoach driver. It is traditional to extend gratuities to

this team at the end of the tour. Onboard the Wilderness

Express a US$1.00 per person/per rail transfer gratuity is

suggested for your rail host. It is traditional to extend this

gratuity upon conclusion of each rail transfer. A standard 15%

gratuity, based on consumption, is typical for the server and

bartender"

AS STATED IN MY CRUISE DOCUMENTS I JUST DOWNLOADED FOR MY JUNE ALASKA CRUISE. I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL

"Gratuities

Many guests have requested a tipping guideline for the

cruisetours. We suggest US$3.50 per person/per day for

your Tour Director and US$2.50 per person/per day for your

motorcoach driver. It is traditional to extend gratuities to

this team at the end of the tour. Onboard the Wilderness

Express a US$1.00 per person/per rail transfer gratuity is

suggested for your rail host. It is traditional to extend this

gratuity upon conclusion of each rail transfer. A standard 15%

gratuity, based on consumption, is typical for the server and

bartender"

Good information for cruise tour tipping, but we are talking about the independent tours people sign up for: whale watches, boat tours, bear tours, kayaking tours, garden tours, fishing trips, etc.

Good information for cruise tour tipping, but we are talking about the independent tours people sign up for: whale watches, boat tours, bear tours, kayaking tours, garden tours, fishing trips, etc.

:D I can see it now. Here you go guide, your $3.50

LOL!!!

Archived