Any free place to snorkel in Mahahual

thescot123

Will be going to Mahahual in Oct. Would like to find a free place that is safe for me to snorkel of the beach. Last year, I spent the time eating and drinking at Tapas. Can you snorkel off the beach near there were it is safe and where your belongings will be safe? don't want to buy a cruise excursion as I am on a budget. Have done the catamarans in the past. Just want a simple way to snorkel as I will bring my own gear and am also a solo cruiser so need a safe area.

Will be going to Mahahual in Oct. Would like to find a free place that is safe for me to snorkel of the beach. Last year, I spent the time eating and drinking at Tapas. Can you snorkel off the beach near there were it is safe and where your belongings will be safe? don't want to buy a cruise excursion as I am on a budget. Have done the catamarans in the past. Just want a simple way to snorkel as I will bring my own gear and am also a solo cruiser so need a safe area.

Well, you were there and saw the beach in front of Tapas...IMO it's not a snorkeling type of beach but people do try to snorkel there. At Tequila Beach a couple of blocks north you can rent a boat to take you out to a better reef. South of Mahahual at Maya Luna the beach might be quieter. but you'd have to take a taxi that'll cost more than just to the malecon and I'm not sure if you can do a day pass there. Decent shore snorkeling to the north as that's where the ship snorkeling excursions head to and also Mayan Beach Gardens is up that way. Again, more costly taxi and you'll have to contact MBG to see if you can get a day pass.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few rocky outcroppings located north of the lighthouse. There are usually no other people there, but sometimes a few locals will be spearfishing. I usually wear shorts with pockets and keep my US $ in a waterproof match container, and peso bills are like plastic, so they can just go directly in pockets.

I have never had any problems, but don't think anyone would steal my towel or cooler anyway.

There are a few rocky outcroppings located north of the lighthouse. There are usually no other people there, but sometimes a few locals will be spearfishing. I usually wear shorts with pockets and keep my US $ in a waterproof match container, and peso bills are like plastic, so they can just go directly in pockets.

I have never had any problems, but don't think anyone would steal my towel or cooler anyway.

And there's that great loncheria/tacqueria stand ran by a local family on the beach near the lighthouse with good cheap eats for your budget too.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Tropicante for the day and got a snorkel trip off the beach that our waiter arranged for us. It was $20 per person and the guide went with us and brought up star fish and several other things for us to see. It was over an hour and just 5 people on the boat. It was better than I expected and in my opinion, well worth the $20. We had our own gear, but they had it if you needed it as well.

We were at Tropicante for the day and got a snorkel trip off the beach that our waiter arranged for us. It was $20 per person and the guide went with us and brought up star fish and several other things for us to see. It was over an hour and just 5 people on the boat. It was better than I expected and in my opinion, well worth the $20. We had our own gear, but they had it if you needed it as well.

Sounds like a fun place. Just located there website and am thinking that this will be the place for me in Costa Maya. I will want to try $20 as it is cheaper than what the boat offers. Do you know if they offer lockers for rent and showers to rinse off after snorkeling?

How is the best way to find them in Mahahual? I like the idea of being able to arrange the snorkeling on the same day as you never know what the weather will be like.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a fun place. Just located there website and am thinking that this will be the place for me in Costa Maya. I will want to try $20 as it is cheaper than what the boat offers. Do you know if they offer lockers for rent and showers to rinse off after snorkeling?

How is the best way to find them in Mahahual? I like the idea of being able to arrange the snorkeling on the same day as you never know what the weather will be like.

You may have already done this, but shoot Steve an email from his site. He will get you all hooked up with the transportation information etc. $2 each way. The menu there looks great. We are looking forward to our visit in October.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to keep you in mind because my husband and I want to do the same thing...find a beautiful beach where he'll lay out and where I can snorkel from shore. We haven't been to Costa Maya yet but it does sound like more of a beach excursion than to do anything else. I also have my own snorkel equipment. Maybe we can share a taxi to the right beach? Usually we go at it alone but the more the merrier...and cut the costs!

-Thanks...Allison and JC

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mind the snorkeling off shore in MJ. We have seen some interesting things here. Right of the beach I have seen squid, stingrays and huge schools of shinners. I also go all the way out to the reef where it is extremely shallow. You really have to belly crawl to get there sometimes, but I have had a great time snorkeling here. You really get up close and personal on this shallow reef. Do be careful though! You can get banged up where the waves break. We always go to Pez Quadro! Absolutley love it there. This port is a favorite of my family!

Archived