Flooding mississippi river

teachprek

There is a significant potential of some impact in NOLA as, of course, all of those flood waters are headed toward the Gulf down the Mississippi. If the water level rises too high the ships won't be able to make it under the bridge...

No impact for Galveston...

:)

Will the anticipated flooding from the Mississippi and other rivers effect you? What about ship departures from Galveston and New Orleans?

When are you sailing? If you're trying to sail this coming weekend or in the next week or ten days, you might have some issues out of NOLA. Beyond that probably nothing that'll affect cruising.

We leave on Triumph May 21. The river is supposed to crest at New Orleans on the 24. I have called Carnival several time asking if it will be a problem and they say no...just keep checking. The problem is not the bridge it was the electrical lines that run over the Mississippi River and that have been corrected.

we sail on the 26th and I too have called Carnival and have got the same response about it not being a big issue.....

but what would happen to those sailings *IF* it is an issue? would we cancelled or port changed?

A few years ago they had to port in Gulfport , MS due to not being able to get under the electric lines crossing the Miss River. I was wondering if the parking garage would flood in New Orleans? We leave on the 21th and the crest is 24th. I will park high and hope we can get our car when we return?????

A few years ago they had to port in Gulfport , MS due to not being able to get under the electric lines crossing the Miss River. I was wondering if the parking garage would flood in New Orleans? We leave on the 21th and the crest is 24th. I will park high and hope we can get our car when we return?????

You may want to park at the Fulton Place parking, where there are higher stories. Costs a few $ less and they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal.

http://fultonplaceparking.com/index_files/Page4844.htm

No flooding problems are expected in New Orleans. The Bonnet Carre Spillway upriver has already been opened, and the Morganza Spillway near Baton Rouge is scheduled to open later this week or next.

What you will notice is the speed of the ships going downriver to the Gulf. Because of the currents, that trip will be quicker than usual.

There is a significant potential of some impact in NOLA as, of course, all of those flood waters are headed toward the Gulf down the Mississippi. If the water level rises too high the ships won't be able to make it under the bridge...

No impact for Galveston...

:)

Since There are no bridges carnival needs to go under to reach the port of New Orleans, that wouldn't be a factor. There are other factors that COULD possibly affect Carnival. I speak as a person who was a Mississippi River Harbor Tug Pilot for years. The dock in New Orleans where Carnival's landing is located is a very tricky spot. There is an upriver current right at the dock, known as an "upstream eddy" to mariners, that can reek havoc on docking a ship there. Now, since Carnival ships are equipped with bow thrusters as well as flanking rudders, this MIGHT not be an issue, but it could be. There could be a possiblity that Carnival would have to use harbor assist tugs to dock, which most ships use anyway. The other issue is that the strong river current coming down from upriver could cause the ship to not stay moored up against the dock without being held in place by tugs while it is in port.The next issue is getting the shipr turned around with such swift current coming down before falling down on Algiers Point, which is the first bend in the river the ship must navigate just below the mooring facility.

All these factors will be looked at before cancelling a cruise. Keep in mind that the Pilots who are in charge of these ships while navigating the river are experts at doing this. They know much more about how to navigate safely in the river than the actual Captain of the ship.

The Army Corps of Engineers are already opening up the Bonnet Carre Spillway just north of NOLA. When fully open it can divert 250,000 cubic feet (1.7 Million gallons) of water per second away from the Mississippi. In, I believe it was 2003, the spillway was not open and the river was very high and they had to divert river traffic including a cruise ship. The Corps of Engineers are also looking at opening the Morganza Spillway north of Baton Rouge to divert even more water away from the Mississippi.

You do not have to worry about flooding of parked cars from the river. Even when the river is low it is higher than the surrounding land. The levees do a great job at keeping the water away. If you get heavy rains and the pumps slow down then you worry. Even though the city has improved it's drainage system, we always park on the second level.

I think they will also be considering the wake caused by the river traffic. A wake could send water over the leavy and sea wall.

Please keep in mind all those families who will be flooded out of their homes and farms due to the Morganza Spillway being openned to protect New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

• 4 years later...

We're to cruise out of Nolan Saturday the 9th. Anyone no if the Elation is coming back from a cruise the 8th or 9th? Been looking forward to this cruise for months and like I imagine many others would hate getting flooded out.