Smaller Class Ship with Kids

Granny-o

Hi all,

I have only cruised with friends before, but now I am considering one to include my daughter and two grandsons. The newer Dream class ships are just too big and I would like to know if there are some of the smaller ships that still have fun things (water slides, kids pools, etc.) that two boys ages 8 and 5, would enjoy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Vickie

If the kids have never cruised (and even if they have, THEY aren't paying for it, so who cares???), they will be thrilled to be on such a nice vacation! All of the "mass-market" ships have plenty for everyone. No worries!

My 8 and 10 yo loved Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. It was so port intensive we barely used half the onboard stuff. Kids LOVE cruising and won't realize what the bigger ships have. I picked the Serenade for cost and my work schedule.. my children said it was the best vacation we have ever taken them on. They were skeptical of the kids club but wanted to go back everyday after trying it. Save your money for snorkeling / beaches / excursions.

Consider a Fantasy class ship. They have the Carnival waterworks on the back of the ship. From Virginia, you could easily reach the Fantasy in Charleston.

Thanks Carolyn. My first cruise was on the Inspiration and I really enjoyed that ship. But I don't remember the waterworks. It seemed huge to me, but compared to the new mega ships it's more along the line of what I would like for the grandkids. I will check out the Charleston departures.

Here are two photos of the Waterworks on most of the Fantasy Class Ships. It also has a "splash" zone. DD age 7 at the time loved it. I would also recommend this class of ship for the ages you give.

Cruisesept2009001.jpg

Cruise2004.jpg

Thanks for the photos. My grandsons would love these (me too!) :D

Archived