Port day ship tour

I know that most of the lines give tours to travel agent groups on turnaround days, but am I the only one that thinks it would be cool to be able to tour adjacent ships while in port? We frequently find ourselves moored next to a ship we've not yet sailed, and would love the opportunity to give it a look-see.

I realize that in the post-911 world security is an issue, but surely it's possible to know who we are if we're on the same line? How cool would it be if our sea pass would grant us access to the ship next door for a drink and a look-see? Shoot, I might even pay a nominal fee, or at least pre-pay for a drink or two...

Am I the only one that would like this?

Many moons ago (1984) I sailed NCL's Skyward. We were in St Thomas the same time as the SS Norway and I was able to tour the ship with my Skyward boarding pass. The only thing they said was " Make sure you're off 30 minutes prior to departure, or you may find yourself stuck on board with no place to sleep". It was a much simpler time back then.

I first started working on ships in summer '01 - I had sent my resume out to a dozen lines earlier that year. Was in Alaska that summer and was able to 'ship hop' to some of the other lines to check out job ops. Now . . . even crewmembers of the same line can't just walk on . . . and add norovirus - another 'lockdown'.

Archived