Marina Cabanas

dincus

We called Oceania and were told the Marina does not have cabanas yet the deck plan shows them. Anyone know for sure? Can any cabin category book them? Thanks.

You are correct on both counts. The deck plan does show cabanas on the top deck of the Marina, yet they are not there on the finished ship.

We sailed on the Marinas' second cruise, and for the first six months of our booking, we had one of those phantom cabanas reserved. They were eliminated very late in the building process. We were so disappointed. :(

Deck 16 now features a large putting green in place of the Cabanas which resembles nothing more than a miniature golf course.

155925.jpg

On the ships that do have Cabanas, any passenger in any cabin category may book one.

Personally, I believe that the Marina Class should be amended to have private Cabanas on the inboard side of the Deck 14 walkway overlooking the pool

154113.jpg

Deck walkers would still have plenty of room to do their thing with an Ocean view, and the Cabana Boy service could be run out of either the Sanctuary or the Patio. More importantly, Deck 14 already has the requisite rest rooms which are so missed on the Cabana deck of the R ships.

You are correct on both counts. The deck plan does show cabanas on the top deck of the Marina, yet they are not there on the finished ship.

Deck 16 now features a large putting green in place of the Cabanas which resembles nothing more than a miniature golf course.

155925.jpg

On the ships that do have Cabanas, any passenger in any cabin category may book one.

Deck walkers would still have plenty of room to do their thing with an Ocean view, and the Cabana Boy service could be run out of either the Sanctuary or the Patio. More importantly, Deck 14 already has the requisite rest rooms which are so missed on the Cabana deck of the R ships.

The putting green looks nice and is available so that everyone can enjoy it, not just for a few pampered guests who want cabana boy service. Those people can still be pampered by their butlers on their private balconies.

The other plus with having deck 16 open in front and around of the putting green is having good viewing space when going through scenic areas, ports, the Panama Canal, etc.

It has been my experience that, because the elevators don't run to the "Cabana deck" (Deck 11 on the R ships & Deck 16 on Marina), 60% of the passengers NEVER venture up there, whatever the view.

Photographers would be better served to book a forward facing cabin, anyway, because the seven foot tall tinted wind screens inhibit picture taking to a large extent, with or without a cabana being there.

Thanks everyone. Not the answer we wanted to hear but we appreciate the info. We don't sail until next February so maybe they'll make a change before then.

Indeed, then of course you get the folks that decide the best solution is to stand on top of the small, rather unstable tables and the chairs in an attempt to see over the blue screen - I was surprised nobody was broke their neck. :rolleyes:

Photographers would be better served to book a forward facing cabin, anyway, because the seven foot tall tinted wind screens inhibit picture taking to a large extent, with or without a cabana being there.

Does anyone know the cost to rent the loungers with the sun roofs.

Do you rent by the week, or day.

Thanks

You can get a spa pass for the day for I think it was $25 then you have use of the private front area of the spa

I will see if there is a price in the Currents from our cruise

Lyn

Indeed, then of course you get the folks that decide the best solution is to stand on top of the small, rather unstable tables and the chairs in an attempt to see over the blue screen - I was surprised nobody was broke their neck. :rolleyes:

I agree with you. People take some crazy risks for a photograph.

And don't even get me started on the man who climbed the radar mast while we were exiting the Panama Canal!

The putting green looks nice and is available so that everyone can enjoy it, not just for a few pampered guests who want cabana boy service. Those people can still be pampered by their butlers on their private balconies.

I think the putting green is atrocious and is not usable (let alone desirable) for many people and it restricts the forward and forward-side access even more than the cabanas did. As you can see, the aisles going around the putting area are quite narrow. Also, it appears that when someone stumbles and falls (not if), then they will injure themselves on the stones.

Furthermore, where there used to be many loungers for everyone to use to get some sun on the forward deck, even when the cabanas occupied the forward-most location, now there appears to be none at all on that forward deck.

I am very much in favor of the Riviera not having the putting green, whether or not the cabanas return. I think more people benefit by having sun loungers or chairs up there than the few who are able to use the putting green.

On the Maiden Voyage (yes, there were a couple of somewhat fair weather days) there was ample lounger space available. Marina has so many more deck areas than the R-ships especially to get away from it all.

While I never used the putting green it was a source of activity for competitions and such. I think it is good there is such facilities for those who want to do a little more than bask in the sun on sea days.

On the Maiden Voyage (yes, there were a couple of somewhat fair weather days) there was ample lounger space available. Marina has so many more deck areas than the R-ships especially to get away from it all.

While I never used the putting green it was a source of activity for competitions and such. I think it is good there is such facilities for those who want to do a little more than bask in the sun on sea days.

With all of the brilliant designers that Oceania has access to, I can't see why they can't do something better with that space than give it over to golf!

My first suggestion would be that they reinstate the Cabanas, but give the center two a "permanent roof" which could be used by other passengers as a viewing/photo platform (railings but no windscreens)

I'd even vote for a telescope platform, over keeping the "plastic greens" :rolleyes:

With all of the brilliant designers that Oceania has access to, I can't see why they can't do something better with that space than give it over to golf!

The R-ships had a great many people on the putting green so the larger golf area on Marina may be of interest to people that like that sort of thing:eek:

Just like those interested in cabanas

Not everyone wants those either ;)

Lyn

My first suggestion would be that they reinstate the Cabanas, but give the center two a "permanent roof" which could be used by other passengers as a viewing/photo platform (railings but no windscreens)

:rolleyes:

Can you imagine all the noise from waaay up there with theme music from the movie Titanic playing in the background and from all those on the platform with the wind in their hair exclaiming 'I am king of the world!'

I'd even vote for a telescope platform, over keeping the "plastic greens" :rolleyes:

A telescope would be great! Viewing land or sea would be terrific. Even if only a small group would be regularily interested it would take up little room and I am sure lots of less interested would still be interested in taking a look.

AND can you imagine if they have a small nook or cranny without all the deck lighting pollution so one could view the stars at night.

There were several requests on the MV to the CD to have a brief 'lights out' moment or such when crossing the Atlantic. What a rare opportunity. 2nd time I tried. I've read other lines do this. Maybe one day, err one night on O ...

You got some great ideas for better use of that space.

The R-ships had a great many people on the putting green so the larger golf area on Marina may be of interest to people that like that sort of thing:eek:

Just like those interested in cabanas

Not everyone wants those either ;)

Lyn

I've never seen anybody use the putting greens on the R ships, EVER.

Oh, except for the Cruise Director who was trying to drum up interest.

He had to bribe the people with Big O points....

I don't think that anybody really objects to the Cabanas, particularly if the view is preserved by having a viewing platform.

I've never seen anybody use the putting greens on the R ships, EVER.

Oh, except for the Cruise Director who was trying to drum up interest.

He had to bribe the people with Big O points....

I do not think you have been on every cruise though :D

We have seen many people use the putting greens on Regatta & Insignia

Timing is everything :D:D

Lyn

Boy, do I feel out of it! I've sailed on both the Nautica and Insignia, more than once, and didn't even know there were putting greens on board. I guess that shows just how much interest I have in them :rolleyes: As regards the cabanas, we will have our first experience with one on our Alaska cruise in Aug. Until then, I can only anticipate with great excitement and enthusiasm.

Harriet

Sorry, I've only been on Nautica and Marina, but understand Nautica, Insignia and Regatta are basically identical. When/where did O install putting greens on Regatta and Insignia? We're sailing Regatta in November and would like to know

Sorry, I've only been on Nautica and Marina, but understand Nautica, Insignia and Regatta are basically identical. When/where did O install putting greens on Regatta and Insignia? We're sailing Regatta in November and would like to know

On the starboard side of Deck 11, which is the "cabana deck".

On the starboard side of Deck 11, which is the "cabana deck".

Thanks. We'll look forward to seeing it on Regatta in November. I know it definitely was NOT on Nautica when we sailed it in 11/2009, because we spent a fair amount of time up there. Maybe we'll even play a "round" since it's a Panama Canal cruise, so the weather should be lovely, and some of the ports in Mexico are of little interest (we live in Nuevo Mexico/New Mexico).

Sorry but I believe it's been there since at least 2007. Of course it would be very easy to miss as the so called putting green was about 5' x 7' (if that) - it is beside the big driving net, off to the left of the stairway and consists of 2 or 3 "holes" not exactly something to go looking for regardless of whether you like that sort of thing or not.

Thanks. We'll look forward to seeing it on Regatta in November. I know it definitely was NOT on Nautica when we sailed it in 11/2009, because we spent a fair amount of time up there. Maybe we'll even play a "round" since it's a Panama Canal cruise, so the weather should be lovely, and some of the ports in Mexico are of little interest (we live in Nuevo Mexico/New Mexico).

Archived