beds on NCL

mikey55

We have not cruised with NCL for years because of some major problems with them, but are thinking of trying them again. We are looking at the Dawn. One of the reasons was the beds were awful and on a long cruise especially, beds being comfortable is very important. HAL's beds are very comfortable. I have read a lot on these boards about asking for an egg crate mattress to put over the bed and do it as soon as you get on so they are not all gone. Are the beds that bad that everyone needs another mattress over the original one?

We were on the Dawn and the Star in balcony cabins on both. We felt the beds were very nice and both my DH and myself slept well. I have seen where if you are in a 2 bedroom (I don't remember which ship or which 2 bedroom). That the bed in the 2nd bedroom is very uncomfortable and an egg crate improves it.

There is a tip on threads to ask for an egg crate early in your cruise as they run out quickly if one is required it is available. But I've only seen this as a tip and not where it was actually needed by anyone.

We were on the Star in March in the new penthouse with balcony. I checked the bed and it was too hard for me. (I have a sleep number bed at home and have it pretty soft and with a foam topper on it!) As rascal said, it is a matter of personal preference. Some like a very firm mattress, some like it very plush.

Then we were on the Pearl at the beginning of the month and the Bliss beds are extremely comfortable for me. One bed that is extremely hard is the pull out couch in the second bedroom in the 2-bedroom family suites (deck 11 and courtyard).

Mattress and bedding on the Epic are outstanding. After my cruise I looked for days to see if I could figure out where to buy the equivalent for my house.

Good luck with that. Before we bought our new bed, we slept at Harrahs in AC with the most wonderful beds. I even got the name and product number from the mattress to find out that those beds are specifically ordered and made for hotels. :(

Good luck with that. Before we bought our new bed, we slept at Harrahs in AC with the most wonderful beds. I even got the name and product number from the mattress to find out that those beds are specifically ordered and made for hotels. :(

Yeah, true. The mattress industry is nuts anyway. The same mattress made in the same factory will sell at two different stores with different names and model numbers. Makes the concept of "price matching" meaningless.

We were on the Star in March in the new penthouse with balcony. I checked the bed and it was too hard for me. (I have a sleep number bed at home and have it pretty soft and with a foam topper on it!) As rascal said, it is a matter of personal preference. Some like a very firm mattress, some like it very plush.

Then we were on the Pearl at the beginning of the month and the Bliss beds are extremely comfortable for me. One bed that is extremely hard is the pull out couch in the second bedroom in the 2-bedroom family suites (deck 11 and courtyard).

the pull out sofa was also too hard in the mini-suites, and we had to get padding for it...it was like a brick. Was great after the padding was added. The regular beds were awesome.

We have not cruised with NCL for years because of some major problems with them, but are thinking of trying them again. We are looking at the Dawn. One of the reasons was the beds were awful and on a long cruise especially, beds being comfortable is very important. HAL's beds are very comfortable. I have read a lot on these boards about asking for an egg crate mattress to put over the bed and do it as soon as you get on so they are not all gone. Are the beds that bad that everyone needs another mattress over the original one?

Just finished 14 nights on the Pearl, not the best bed, but improvement are needed. When they push those 2 twins together to make a queen, the "crack" in the middle can be the pits. A tough pit to get out of!! The twin size matress tends to mold itself towards that crack in the middle. A spot forest that shoulder or hip. Sheet never seemed to stay on the thoughout the whole night.

We sailed on the Sun in January and I thought the bed was the most comfortable we had ever slept on. At the time we had a water bed (for the last 20 years) so it usually took several nights for me to get used to a conventional bed but I slept like a baby from the first night.

Beds, like food, can be so much a matter of person preference.

As you can see Mikey55, what retired rascal says above is so true.

Look at threads #12 & #13. Same ship totally opposite answers :D.

Might I suggest when reading threads and reviews unless it is something concrete like "does the dawn have a bowling alley, NO" you take all subjective topics like food, beds, activity enjoyment, shows all for what they are; opinions by the poster.

Epic had awesome beds. I was on RCI Enchantment 3 weeks ago and usually never had a problem but this one seemed so saggy and woke up with a back ache. Left a note for the cabin steward to please put an egg crate on and it was done by the time I went to bed that night and slept like a baby after that.

As I read thru these threads you'll have to agree beds are like food, what one person likes, others hate! Asking how the beds are, so you can determine wether or not to book a certian cruiseline, is useless! All the opinions you'll get won't matter until you get on the boat and sleep on one. I personally thought the beds on the EPIC were awfull while others loved them!

The beds on the Dawn were great. At least in our cabin, an Aft balcony, #10230. Sleeping is amazing on the ships. I am not sure if it is the slight rock of the boat, the salt air, the nice down comfortors, or I am just exhausted from everything that I pass out. I must say, the sofa bed that my teenage son slept on seemed a bit hard. However, he was out with the teen club so late, he too came back to the cabin and passed out and never complained about the comfort.

I was on the Dawn a few years back & thought the bed was the best part - the sheets & comforter & everything was just so soft. I've also spent a week on one of the pull out couches & didn't think that was bad.

Archived