Nautica- Greek Isles Odyssey July 9 2011

libra45

Can anyone please advise where the ship docks in Istambul-Rhodes-Crete-Monemvasia-Katakolon-Zakintos-Nauplion. Is transportation needed to town or can walk?

I have been to Istambul and Kusadasi. Which tours you recommend on the greek isles?

Unless they've upgraded the docking facilities, you will be tendered in Nafplion (or Nauplion).

In Nafplion, you can just walk around and enjoy the town if you like. It's charming, Venetian in architecture. Also great shopping, cafes and people-watching. But, if you want to see some of the ancient sites, Mycenae is amazing, and the amphitheatre of Epidavros is also spectacular (but probably not as spectacular as Ephesus.)

This itinerary sounds wonderful, such a collection of uncommon ports--I've always wanted to make it to Monemvasia!

Just did a couple of these ports on Marina.

Monemvasia is absolutely beautiful, my favourite port even in the rain. There are 2 tender docks, we went in to the one on the right of the causeway (looking sea to shore) which is closest to the rock, maybe half a mile to the old city gate up a gently sloping tarmac road. If you get the dock on the other side it is by the new town so you have to walk across the causeway too but it would still be less than a mile.

Zakynothos (aka Zante) tenders go right into the city harbour, an easy couple of minutes walk to the main square and shops, turn left along the seafront to the main Orthodox church (less than a mile) or right a few block to a small beach. We were not 'wowed' by Zakynthos town, I would suggest an excursion or car hire there.

Rhodes - not been there on Oceania but most ships dock just outside the city walls so a couple of minutes and you are there. Once the port was very busy and we had to dock a couple of miles along the coast and got a free shuttle bus (NCL I think).

As you know, Kusadasi is right in town and Istanbul is very easy by tram. Sorry, can't help with the others.

Thank you soooo much for your feedback. I am new to CC and all suggestions help tremendously. Counting the days

I am also going on that cruise and have joined with two other cruisers on that trip to organize excursions and tours. Please email me at rayk at technicom dot com if you are interested in discussing this directly by email - much faster and we can copy all parties.

Archived