Thissio Station

solostar

If I take the Metro to Thissio, then Walk along Apostolou Pavlou ( as marked on my map)then around base of Acropolis to Plaka,and then somehow make my way to Monastraki Station (for the return journey) how long roughly will it take,:confused: Will I get a good "feel" for the area:rolleyes: and will it be signposted:eek: . I am finding the thought of visiting Athens a little scary, but I really want to see it, only there for 7hours! Any help greatly appreciated.:)

If I take the Metro to Thissio, then Walk along Apostolou Pavlou ( as marked on my map)then around base of Acropolis to Plaka,and then somehow make my way to Monastraki Station (for the return journey) how long roughly will it take,:confused: Will I get a good "feel" for the area:rolleyes: and will it be signposted:eek: . I am finding the thought of visiting Athens a little scary, but I really want to see it, only there for 7hours! Any help greatly appreciated.:)

Yes the area is signposted all street names are both in Greek and Latin characters.

The most common peripheral route from Thysseion to Monastiraki station is by using these streets .

Apostopou Pavlou which turns to Dionisiou Aeropagitou at the Acropolis entrance,

to Vyronos street

to Kydathynaion street

to Adrianou street,

to Dexippou street finally reaching Monastiraki on

Areos street.

This route is just barely over 1 and 1/2 miles long.

Time is entirely up to you.

There are plenty of things to see and be distracted by, at every corner and every street.

And finally YES, you will get a very good feel of the area using the above route.

You can do it!!!!!! ;) Brisk walk to the Metro 20 minutes (get off the ship a.s.a.p) 15 minutes on the Metro (run every 5 mins). You dock at 8 so you can realistically be in Athens by 9 o/c. (We've done it four times - and honestly it's very doable!).

If you get there this early you'll even have time to do the Acropolis before the tours arrive if you want to. It won't take more than about 20 minutes to walk to the Acropolis. As you come out of the Acropolis at Thissio you will see the Acropolis and you skirt round in an anticlockwise direction along the paved boulevard. Say you arrive there at about 9.30 you could spend an hour or so up there and be down again by 10.30. If you don't go up then of course you'll have even more time.

You can skirt all the way round the base of the Acropolis - you can't really get lost because that's always there to give you your bearings. That will bring you round to the Plaka which is lovely - great atmosphere and from there it will lead on to Monastiraki. Easily enough time to walk that area and be on your way back early afternoon.

The first time we went we did a recce - got aff at Monastiraki, walked clockwise round the Acropolis, climbed some rocky out-crop between the Acropolis and Forum, explored the Plaka, the markets at Monastiraki, had a drinks break and were back on board well before 2pm!!! (Wanted to be sure we got back in very good time!) That's pretty much what you want to do so I think you'll be absolutely fine.

Good luck!!!!

We did this about 3 years ago. We walked from ship to Metro, took a train to a station, transferred to another train, and came out on the side of the Acropolis opposite from the Plaka. We walked up some gentle slopes to the Acropolis, spent about an hour there, and then walked down the opposite side on some steep steps into the Plaka. We found a "famous" sandal shop we had heard about, bought some sandals for my wife (custom fit-a great experience). We then strolled down the main street toward the main square, saw the changing of the guard, stopped for lunch, saw 2 churches, and returned by Metro to the ship (walked back from the station). We did all of this in about 6 or 7 hours. Sorry, but do not remember names of stations. We got their names from TripAdvisor. Have fun.

Archived