No Freedom on Freedom

lastonein

I may be wrong (and perhaps the OP will clarify) but I do not believe the reason he/she is not sailing with CCL anymore is just because of the beer. From what I read, I felt as though the OP was sick of the other passengers, and the beer was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Unfortunately, inconsiderate people are everywhere - they come in every shape, size, and class. And often, if you are considerate to others, you will be taken advantage of.

I hope the next cruise is better for you, OP.

Per his post, the beer thing did it.. That was when he made the solemn vow..

Did anyone really read the OP's post? They were not going to hold his beer. They were going to discard it. Huge difference.

Reading is fundamental. So is reading comprehension. ;)

That's correct - he said DISCARD. The option was never given to me to hold it.

So you were gone for 45 minutes and chairs were re-arranged when you returned?

I thought the chair hog time limit window was 30 minutes?:eek:

My DW was still sitting there surrounded by the hijackers. It was just totally rude.

Since the OP did not say he asked, there really is no answer now is there? :rolleyes:

Would you have asked?

I would have asked.

And I'll bet if he would have asked, they would have been more than happy to store it with the rest of the alcohol passengers were bringing onto the ship.

You ripped us for reading comprehension, yet you just assumed he was given only two choices.

I would not assume that.

You can formulate an opinion based on exactly what he wrote. And that's fine. I'll assume he had options. Which, based on what I know of other cruisers' histories, and what I've read on this board, I'll bet he did.

That's correct - he said DISCARD. The option was never given to me to hold it.

Were they all opened already?

just last weekend I brought back a 12 pack of beer from the Bahamas, and had absolutely no trouble getting through, and them taking until the last morning.

25 cruises...member of CC since 2001....only 4 posts?

Read your cruise contract: you were told you wouldn't be allowed to bring those beers back on board.

Read any other line's cruise contract: they won't let you bring those beers back on board either.

As for the chair hogs, so what's new?

Yeah I have been a member since 2001 - I am mainly a lurker due to the RA in my hands and find it difficult to type. As a matter of fact, my DW is helping me with these responses now. No line has ever stopped me from bringing back a few local beers.

Sailed on the Freedom Feb/Mar and they took away beer and wine and liquor then - it was never ALLOWED before but was overlooked for years - so now they are enforcing the rule - so what, live with it. My 1500ml wine bottle was taken away on the 1st leg of a b2b and I got it back the evening before our 2nd leg. I also bought a bottle of vodka at duty free the 1st leg and they delivered it to our cabin the last night of 1st leg - so had it for the 2nd leg (bonus) but certainly not expect. If the poster refuses to sail because of the beer thing then he/she has a lot more issues going on as this rule is the same on all ships - just whether or not they choose to overlook it.

This kind of petty stuff is unnecessary.

:confused: *You're* the one who said they were done with Carnival.

I returned to the pier consumed it and vowed I will never sail Carnival again.

Catering to repeat customers has never been a high priority with them, given how long it took them to jump aboard the Past Guest Perks Train.

And that train has never really gained any steam. In fact, I think the wheels have fallen off.

It is not just Carnival that doesn't allow alcohol to be brought on board from a port. I believe most cruise lines follow the same guidelines.

From Royal Caribbean website:

Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? - Royal Caribbean International Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

From Celebrity:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other

use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the

cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any

shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of

$25.00. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from the onboard shops

will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest's staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

s.gif

I am sorry you had issues with the chairs though. I think it's terribly rude denying you a seat when they weren't being used. It's wrong.

WOW! Corkage fee is higher than the wine I buy most of the time! and Barefoot and yellowtail aren't bad wines. Anybody got a corkscrew?

I don't want to be nasty but after reading your post, I get the feeling you want us all to be upset with Carnival as you are but I really can't be. The issues were minor and could have happened on any other cruise line. You are not suppose to bring alcohol on board and chair hogs have been an issue for as long as I can remember. That's not Carnival's fault but people in general. What really surprises me is that after the number of cruises you have taken, this wrecked your latest cruise.

Actually though, you are right. You have tired of Carnival and it is time for a change so going with another cruise line may be the answer. If you do, I am curious if you will again bring beer aboard and if you will find an empty lounge chair at the pool. I think you may have the same problems.

Would you have asked?

I would have asked.

And I'll bet if he would have asked, they would have been more than happy to store it with the rest of the alcohol passengers were bringing onto the ship.

You ripped us for reading comprehension, yet you just assumed he was given only two choices.

I would not assume that.

You can formulate an opinion based on exactly what he wrote. And that's fine. I'll assume he had options. Which, based on what I know of other cruisers' histories, and what I've read on this board, I'll bet he did.

I did not assume anything. I read exactly what was written.

Chair hogs is a problem that Carnival does nothing about unfortunately.

Who needs them to "do anything"?

Toss the towels or whatever and sit down.

If someone wants to argue with you, tell 'em to call security.

If Carnival won't enforce the "no saving" rule, what are the chances of them telling you you have to get up and leave the hogged chair?

My DW was still sitting there surrounded by the hijackers. It was just totally rude.

I'm sure it was uncomfortable to her and yes it was a bit rude to intrude on her space. But hey, they were in chairs that were empty and they have the right to sit where they want, as long as they aren't right on top of someone. Sorry, she should have just left. Not really fair, but that's just the way it is.

I have brought back 6 packs of "local" beer from several ports of call in the Caribbean.

Each time it was taken and returned to me at the end of the cruise. I've got no problem with this, since this is the published CCL policy! :rolleyes:

I have brought back 6 packs of "local" beer from several ports of call in the Caribbean.

Each time it was taken and returned to me at the end of the cruise. I've got no problem with this, since this is the published CCL policy! :rolleyes:

Exactly. Now if they would have allowed you to carry it on board, then hey, you got a bonus. Enjoy it. But if they follow the rules then oh well, that's what should be expected.

To expect them to bend the rules for you because you want to bring your beer on board is pompous and pretentious. Take it like a man if they say they gotta take it till the end of the cruise.

Frank, the above was not directed at you. I just didn't want to make another post with my thought process...hehe..

It was the first time I was not allowed to bring back a couple cans of local beer back on the ship. I was stopped by a security guard who acted as if he just found Ben Laden. "Oh! Beer! We have to discard this" Like I'm going let this dude throw my 6 pack away. I returned to the pier consumed it and vowed I will never sail Carnival again.

So what was it - a couple of cans or a six pack... Right there you vowed never to sail Carnival again... SO why did you get back on? Guess you broke your vow right away.

You know, Carnival isn't perfect and yeah, they screw up. But on this one, I commend them. They informed this "gentleman" of the rules that he was not able to bring beer on board, and he chose to drink it at the pier.. A win/win for everyone, since the employee did their job, and the OP got to drink massive amounts of beer in a short time. Awesome.

And yeah, a six pack isn't really that massive, but it fit the story better that way.

I would be upset also OP. If I walked into the hotel I was staying at with a six-pack and the hotel said I couldn't bring that in, that I could only drink in the hotel with alcohol purchased at the hotel bar, I would find a new hotel.;)

As far as I know it's not a posted rule in hotels as it is with Carnival Cruise Lines. so ya'll get upset all ya'll want. :D

The only reason they enforce their alcohol policy is because it affects their bottom line.

And the only reason they do not enforce their no chair saving policy is because it does not affect their bottom line.

The point is enforce all the rules or none of the rules.

Archived