First Time Cruiser questions - regarding checkin

spice11

Hi,

We are sailing Coral Princess on May 28, yes in less than 10 days! We are planning to do the Major Marine's Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise on the same day before boarding. The cruise will return to port at 6:30pm. My question is Princess official check in time is 1-7pm and cruise depart at 830pm. Do you think it will be too rush if we check in between 630 to 7? What if the Glacier Cruise returns late, do any of you know what is the absolute cut off time for check in? What's your experience on late check in? We are worried about the check in time and wonder if we need to cancel the Glacier Cruise... Thanks in advice for you advice.

Kit

Is the tour you doing booked through the cruise line? If so then you should be ok and they should in theory wait for you (I have seen the boat wait for shore excusrions booked though the cruise line in the past). If not then it might be risky. I have always arrived early so I don't know about late check but someone else here may have some guidance in that respect.

Personally, that seems a bit close for my comfort level; I don't like to risk being late. I'm sure you would never be turned away if you were late (and there is a contact number to call if your transportation is delayed) if the excursion is really important to you.

We've had many a laugh listening to the Captain paging late passengers and then watching people sprinting up the dock like they were being chased! (this is in port...not checking in!)

That being said, I think that especially as a first time cruiser you're missing out on not being on board earlier. The first day is such as great opportunity to explore the ship, get free tours, participate in give-aways....generally get oriented.

Honestly, that sounds like you're cutting it too close. If it were me, I'd be too worried during the glacier excursion to enjoy it!

Did you know that you can usually board the ship HOURS before departure? Ask on these boards for what time boarding usually starts. I usually board a good 5-6 hours before sail-away. Your vacation starts the second you step foot on board!

Maybe there's a shorter excursion you can take? But I wouldn't risk this one, with a 6:30pm return...

Good luck!

Kit - First - Welcome to Cruise Critic :D per the passenger contract it states to arrive 2 hrs. prior to sailing :rolleyes: but I know for a fact that is not something that is enforced...but I also know that they must scan/fax a passenger manifest to Homeland Security 60-90 mins. before sailing (sorry can't remember which:o) -

For myself personally, your plan would be cutting to close ...never know if there might be some delay with the Glacier cruise:confused:

Hope you have wonderful first cruise..... 013.gif

but I also know that they must scan/fax a passenger manifest to Homeland Security 60-90 mins. before sailing (sorry can't remember which:o) -
I believe it's 60 minutes but the cruiselines pad that to 90 minutes to make sure they have it in on time and "accepted."

If you were already checked in and have your cruise card, it would probably be fine. If you haven't already checked in, I think it's cutting it way too close. If the tour arrives 15 minutes late and it takes you 16 minutes to get to the pier to check in, you may not be allowed to check in or board. It's up to you whether you want to take that chance.

If you decide to go on the tour, make sure you have insurance with cancelation for any reason coverage because you never, ever know if something might happen and you're delayed.

Personally I wouldn't and I would recommend it even less as a fair time cruiser.

There is a lot to do onboard. You likely will want to grab some lunch, explore the ship, find dining room, unpack, grab a drink, make resevations, and get to the pool deck for sail-away party. You can board as early at noon (unofficially you can board even earlier than that). Get on board, get oriented and get ready to CRUZE!

Is the tour through the cruiseline? If so then I personally wouldn't do it but you have a larger margin of safety. The ship may (not always depends on schedule, port fees, how many ships in port, etc) delay departure a small amount of time to get the tour onboard. So you likely can take the tour with little risk. That being said it will make for a very long first day.

If the tour is not booked through the cruiseline and you are late the boat will leave you. Period. Then your wonderful vacation becomes a nightmare as you need to arrange transportation to meet boat in next port. Lots of money, lots of stress, and if first day is day at sea that day is just lost.

I think you'll be cutting it too fine...what if something happens ( a vehicle breakdown) while on the glacier tour.

Just a tip...if you do arrive late, try not to fluster once the check-in process starts. On one cruise I thought I'd lost my credit card.( This is taken and swiped at checkin). I found it a few days later in my coat pocket, after going through the drama of cancelling it. :o

Always organise you wallet and documents, before proceeding to the next checkin station....live and learn.

If you were already checked in and have your cruise card, it would probably be fine. If you haven't already checked in, I think it's cutting it way too close.

That's what I was going to say - not knowing how long the tour is, if it was possible to check in before the tour (since check in is from 1 to 7) then go it probably would be ok. Besides, what would you do with your luggage while on the tour?

Thanks for your suggestion SunShine100, so can 26 Glacier Cruise keep your lugguage safely while you cruise and you check in after finishing the glacier cruise with 26 Glacier Cruise right? Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestion SunShine100, so can 26 Glacier Cruise keep your lugguage safely while you cruise and you check in after finishing the glacier cruise with 26 Glacier Cruise right? Thanks!

Alternatively just drop your checked bags with porters BEFORE going on the glacier tour.

Your just put your luggage tags on your checked bags and leave them with porters in the port parking lot. Then instead of entering the ship terminal to board the ship you could catch your tour knowing your bags are already safely onboard the ship.

Archived