how rough are the seas in Hawaii in May?

cruise8x+

I am really concerned that there will be more seasick days than not especially going to Fanning Island and back. Hearing about how tendering is diffucult in Maui and Kona makes me think this 10 day cruise to Hawaii was a mistake. I know the Pacific is much wavier than the Carribean maybe that's why there aren't too many cruise choises to Hawaii. Any words of comfort would be really appreciated!

I will be leaving this weekend on the wind and willl let you know when we get back how bad the seas are...As discussed in earlier threads, bring bromide tablets with you or the patches. We're bringing both on our cruise. Better to be safe than sorry.

We did Hawaii in May a few years ago on RCCL. It wasn't much different from the Caribbean as far as rough seas go. We even sailed to Vancouver which included 4 sea days. I would take the usual precautions.

i was on the wind last month and the water was ROUGH! so many people were sea sick on the way to fanning. actually, we had to turn and go back to the big island along the way as a guest had fallen and broken a hip. due to, i belive, rough seas. and a crew member was also taken to the hospital at the same time due to severe sea sickness. i'm not kidding! it was rough! we missed fanning island, but i really enjoyed the new route.

so be prepared. i didn't have any problems, thank godness! just a little trouble navigating in heels in the evening.

you'll be fine! just take motion sickness pills right away or wear the patch behind your ear, lots of people did that!

believe me, it's worth a little sea sickness to see all of hawaii!

• 1 month later...

Here is a great website with hints about how to avoid seasickness. Although written for scuba divers, it is good advice to all who might be concerned about sea sickness. http://www.seasabres.com/%5CSafty-education%5CSaftey%5CSea%20sick.htm

I have only had to use sea sickness medication once: in the Atlantic during a hurricane. The ship provided some pills which easily handled the problem. There are several remedies named at the web site cited above.

Just remember, if you encounter rough seas you MUST start taking the pills BEFORE you get sea sick! They are ineffective if you wait until you are sick.

If you are really, really concerned you might consider seeing your doctor for a prescription rather than relying on over-the-counter pills.

Have a great trip. :)

Archived