Steps at St. Peter Great House/Blackbeard's Castle?

Li'lImp

RCCL's excursion to the St. Peter Great House/Blackbeard's Castle warns of mobility issues due to steps. Can anyone familiar with these sites tell me if one location is worse than the other? I'm most interested in visiting the castle and would be willing to book privately to avoid St Pete's if it means conserving my energy for the main event. :D

A search on the castle and house under disabled cruising turned up next to nothing. Thanks!

It's hard to say which attraction has more steps, but I think the steps at St Peter's Greathouse are a little harder to maneuver than those at Blackbeard's. At Blackbeard's, there are multiple steps between each house, but they're not steep, it's all downhill, and stopping at each house for the tour gives you a break. At The Greathouse, other than touring the house itself, the nature walk is all steps with no breaks, but it's a short walk. I think some of the garden enhancements at The Greathouse have suffered either because of dogs in the areas (they chased away the peacocks) or improper plant selection/maintenance (few orchids!). The views at The Greathouse are lovely, but I was kind of disappointed with the garden, whereas I've never been disappointed with Blackbeard's. Been there several times, and I'm always impressed with the new features they introduce.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Sounds like a private excursion will be the way I go. A few steps with rests in between is doable for me, and the gardens don't sound like a 'must-see' IMHO.

That may work in your favor. I've noticed many new access ramps this year, so maybe they'll have some at Blackbeard's by then (not that I've heard anything!) The USVI gets quite a few visitors with physical limitations, because they have to comply with ADA, and I know they're extending a welcome for more guests.

• 10 months later...

I'm back from my visit of Blackbeard's Castle. While I enjoyed the sights, it was a great struggle for me. Nothing I read prepared me for the sheer number of stairs (my guess is that there were 100 steps before you even reached the top of the famous "99 Steps"), not to mention the steep downhill paths between the staircases. There are no ADA modifications, and realistically, none can be made.

Everyone I encountered was helpful and friendly, but I definitely pushed myself to my limits. I wear bi-lateral lower leg braces, and it took every ounce of my energy to try to complete the tour, even with frequent rests. In reality, I came up about ten feet short of completing it, but my DH and a couple of very kind taxi drivers helped me at the end. :o

I do recommend visiting the castle, but be prepared for a workout. Going down the steep hills was, for me, almost more difficult than going uphill would have been!

Thanks for remembering to post your experience. It's good to get another person's perspective. I think that some historical properties can be exempt from ADA requirements, because so many of them can't comply and maintain their period authenticity.

St Thomas isn't the easiest destination for people with mobility issues, unfortunately.

Archived