Gold panning withoug a tour? Just to see what it's like?

sueswny

I am trying to find out if there are any chances to try/witness gold panning on a cruise without doing a tour. My family is going on a RCCL cruise that stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Point, Seward, Ketchikan and Vancouver. We have tours planned for all these ports. But a couple of the young kids would like to see what gold panning is all about. Are there any shops, museums or taverns along the way that might provide the opportunity to try/see this? We'd be happy to pay for it, if necessary, but we don't want it as part of a larger tour (like a city tour or such). Just a brief chance to try panning. Thanks for any help!

Probably Skagway would be your best bet - with its rich Gold Rush history. Google it, and see what comes up. There may even be gold panning for the kids to try at Carcross if you intend on heading to the Yukon either by rental car (that would be my recommendations - stop wherever and whenever you want - we loved it! DH's favorite "excursion"!) or by train and bus back. Good luck - sounds like fun!

We have a private tour booked with Becky at Skagway. I mentioned that some in our group would like to try gold panning just didn't want to go with a "tour" or any large group so she is taking us while on our private tour through so this could be something you might want to try as well.:)

Archived