Has anyone done the Belikin Brewery Tour?

shawnamarie0509

DH and I are going on 7 night Western Caribbean tour next January and are planning out excursions. We've heard alot about cave tubing in Belize and had considered doing it. However, we'll be doing water related excursions at every other port as well. I am NOT a fan of cold water, and have heard the river has a bit of a chill. I think out of every water related excursion this is definitely the one I could skip out on. As an alternative we were looking at the Wet Lizard's Brewery and City tour. DH is a merchandiser for Miller, so I think he may like this. Has anyone tried this, or any other Belikin Brewery tour? I want to research it a bit before I suggest it to DH!!

Also, does anyone know where we can get a taste of that cashew wine? We're big on touring the Finger Lakes wine trails every summer and spent our honeymoon touring wineries in Santorini, Greece. This is definitely something I'd like to try!!

Also, does anyone know where we can get a taste of that cashew wine? We're big on touring the Finger Lakes wine trails every summer and spent our honeymoon touring wineries in Santorini, Greece. This is definitely something I'd like to try!!

I live in Belize... I did a private tour...one on one with a manager. Not the real tour Very interesting. But cant help with what is shown on the tour. The Brewery is in Ladyville, about 1/2 hour from Belize City.

The cashew wine is available at most stores in Belize....I think it makes Mad dog 20 20 look like a fine wine......

As an alternative we were looking at the Wet Lizard's Brewery and City tour. DH is a merchandiser for Miller, so I think he may like this. Has anyone tried this, or any other Belikin Brewery tour? I want to research it a bit before I suggest it to DH!!

We are doing the Wet Lizard Brewery/City Tour in October. If no one has responded by then, I'll post on our experience. I have been in contact with the Wet Lizard by email and the responses have left me impressed. One thing they told me by email that the website doesn't say is that lunch is also included.

We are doing the Wet Lizard Brewery/City Tour in October. If no one has responded by then, I'll post on our experience. I have been in contact with the Wet Lizard by email and the responses have left me impressed. One thing they told me by email that the website doesn't say is that lunch is also included.

That would be really awesome! I appreciate that. And I hope you enjoy your tour! Thats nice to hear about lunch! Did they happen to mention what they serve?

I live in Belize... I did a private tour...one on one with a manager. Not the real tour Very interesting. But cant help with what is shown on the tour. The Brewery is in Ladyville, about 1/2 hour from Belize City.

The cashew wine is available at most stores in Belize....I think it makes Mad dog 20 20 look like a fine wine......

I've heard people mention MD 20/20 before, but what exactly is it? Some kind of cheap wine, right? And how does cashew wine compare?

I found the cashew wine to be barely drinkable. Very sweet but not in a good way like a dessert wine. Just sweet without any complexity. It has a distinctively oily aftertaste. Now mind you, this was a $4 bottle of wine from the grocery store. There might be better varieties. :)

That would be really awesome! I appreciate that. And I hope you enjoy your tour! Thats nice to hear about lunch! Did they happen to mention what they serve?

I've heard people mention MD 20/20 before, but what exactly is it? Some kind of cheap wine, right? And how does cashew wine compare?

They didn't say specifically, but if I had to guess it is a "traditional Belize" meal of stewed chicken and beans. They told me that they worked very closely with Coral Breeze Tours and their tour includes this lunch at the Wet Lizard.

We tried the cashew wine on our Valor cruise in 2009. It was awful.

My group of 8 friends bought a bottle of cashew wine at the Mayan Wells Restaurant gift shop (as part of a tour to Altun Ha). It was very sweet, but we also felt it had a bit of a smoky flavour to it. It's not something I would buy to drink on a regular basis, but it was something different to experience anyway. It's certainly not at all like grape wine.

I suspect that like a lot of local cultural fare, if you're raised with it, you're used to it and like it. Some people love eating sea grapes, others find them totally unpalatable.

Archived