Special food requirements-no garlic

azam71209

We have a friend who is interested in cruising with us on the Nautica. He is not able to eat garlic-gets very sick. How accommodating is the Oceania dining room staff on handling special food requests, such as preparing menu items without garlic?

Just ask well ahead of time

I had asked for no or low sodium meals

Once onboard I got the menu before checked off what I wanted dropped off before 9:30 am to the GDR then at dinner gave the waiter my room number & all was sorted

Meal was served with everyone else

It only works for the Restaurants but you could ask the chef in the buffet for food not containing garlic ...probably easier to deal with dishes with salt in them ;)

Lyn

Please tell your friend that he will have no problem in having his meals prepared with no garlic, as my wife has to request for no garlic in her food too. Oceania has proven to us to be extremely attentive in food preparation for guests who have concerns about food allergies.

My wife and I have sailed on all Oceania ships except Nautica. The policy has been the same overall according to our experience. The important part is to make sure your friend's travel agent will help to let Oceania know ahead of time, like what our agent has done for my wife.

Once on board, your friend can approach a serving staff and ask to talk to a head waiter, who will likely refer him to a chef in charge. When he identifies himself, the chef will be able to locate your friend's profile and give him advice accordingly.

Every evening, we have both copies of the lunch and dinner menu of the following day being delivered to our stateroom. As long as the selections were made by my wife and returned to a head waiter, either in the main dining room or Terrace Cafe prior to 11 am, the kitchen staff shall have enough notice to prepare the meals in avoiding garlic in the dishes.

Occaionally, a specific dish might not be able to be prepared in deleting garlic as an essential ingredient, and the guest might only be notified at lunch or dinner time. However, this has rarely happened.

My wife has used to being careful with her selection and also pays attention to what food can be done without garlic. The importannt part is communication. In being careful, she always writes on the lunch and dinner menu in stating FOOD ALLERGY ALERT. Your friend can do the same as her and write AVOID GARLIC.

Oceania has provided us with excellent food and services. For this reason, we will continue to be loyal patrons of this cruise line.

Happy Cruising!

Archived