Any Hotels in the Bayonne Area That Offer Free Parking While You Cruise?

beachsands

This is what betterbidding has for Priceline

Newark - Meadowlands (Newark - Airport EWR)

(also see (Elizabeth - Airport EWR) above)

3.5* Hilton Airport REVIEW

3.5* Hilton Gateway Penn Station

3.5* Marriott

3.5* Renaissance (previously 3*) Newark Airport Hotel Doubletree Wyndham REVIEW

I prefer Hotwire for Newark because the amenities tend to identify the hotels. With this list of 3.5 hotels, you could end up in downtown Newark at the Hilton Penn Station - that could be great if you're going to NY. On Hotwire for a 3.5* hotel the amenities show a pool for the airport hotels and no pool for the Hilton Penn Station. For the 2.5* hotels I would only use Hotwire to be sure you are getting Country Inns - they are the only 2.5* hotel with a pool as an amenity.

So if I were to get Country Inns on Hotwire, can you pay the extra charge for the cruise ship drop off? Or is the only way to get that is to book it directly on their website?

Sorry for all the questions, but you have been super awesome at answering them.

I don't know. IMO you're better off arranging your own transportation so you can go to the port and be among the first to board. Country Inns will arrange the schedule at their own convenience.

I see you're looking at the Cog Railway. In October I'd be concerned about the weather - it's a very long drive from Portland. If it's not a nice day, going up Mt. Washington will be a waste.

We're not overly concerned about boarding first thing. We like to take in what the city has to offer since we usually spend such little time in the departure cities. But I'll definitely look into the arranging my own transport. From the airport is it about a $40 cab ride? Just curious in case this is a last resort method.

As for the cog railway, yeah we were interested but were cautious because of the price. The weather seems to be the main feedback we're getting since going in October. Plus I was torn about spending so much time going there since Portland is well know for their breweries. :D

Well, no problem with Newark as a departure city - absolutely no reason to hang out there in the morning. Wherever you end up staying, you will likely be in an isolated area with nothing to do or see except planes taking off. The Explorer boards between 11:30 and 12:30. If you leave for the port around 10, you should be there by 10:30. By the time you go through security and check in, you won't have long to wait until boarding starts. They serve coffee, tea, juice, and cookies. You will likely be one of the first folks aboard, and you can go to the Windjammer for lunch and grab a table overlooking the Statue of Liberty. Rooms are available at 1:30. If you want to explore, you can get off the ship and walk across to the 911 memorial - that's the best tourist attraction in the area.

Yeah I saw the picture of that in the Explorer thread, looked pretty cool, would definitely like to get to it on the ground.

As for the departure city I guess you are probably right. I'm just sued to being downtown Vancouver and spending the day walking around and checking out stuff there and going for breakfast and lunch with friends. Then we have usually boarded around 2:30-3:30.

Until I sailed out of Bayonne, I never discovered how nice it was to board the ship early. Have a nice lunch in the Windjammer to start. Then check your dining table and make any excursion or dinner reservations you need. Explore the Explorer - find a good place for the sailaway. Drop your stuff in your room and get off to check out the 911 memorial. The afternoon goes quickly and you will probably sail at 5 pm.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, no problem with Newark as a departure city - absolutely no reason to hang out there in the morning. Wherever you end up staying, you will likely be in an isolated area with nothing to do or see except planes taking off. The Explorer boards between 11:30 and 12:30. If you leave for the port around 10, you should be there by 10:30. By the time you go through security and check in, you won't have long to wait until boarding starts. They serve coffee, tea, juice, and cookies. You will likely be one of the first folks aboard, and you can go to the Windjammer for lunch and grab a table overlooking the Statue of Liberty. Rooms are available at 1:30. If you want to explore, you can get off the ship and walk across to the 911 memorial - that's the best tourist attraction in the area.

I see you sail the Explorer often and have knoweldge of the area. we are 2 couples sailling the Explorer next April for 9 nights. We will be driving in one car and are looking for a place to stay that is safe and has a resturant and bar or one within walking distance. Hope to be able to leave our car without extra charge. Shuttle would be nice but we could book our own transportation. i see you have listed some driver's numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a bit early for all the rates to be posted for next April. There are several choices, some of which are showing as not available, but IMO that just means there are no rates as yet.

1) trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn is $117 tax included with breakfast and 14 days parking. This is a great deal. Right now it would be cheaper to book everyone at this rate, but as next year approaches, the folks without a car could possibly get a better rate. The transportation phone number is on their web site - $40 for up to 4 people. This cannot be booked until 4-6 weeks ahead, but is a very good deal.

2) Country Inns - showing at $214 + tax for room plus cruise transportation. Parking would be extra. This is not a good deal right now and probably won't come down much in price.

3) Hampton Inn Staten Island - free breakfast, parking and cruise shuttle.

4) Other hotel choices on trinity are usually Wyndham Gardens and Springhill Suites, but they are not there yet.

Fairfield Inn would have the Bistro and bar at the Marriott Courtyard next door. Country Inns would have the same for the Elizabeth Courtyard plus a Ruby Tuesday's and IHOP. Hampton Inn would have the restaurant at Hilton Gardens next door.

It's a bit early for all the rates to be posted for next April. There are several choices, some of which are showing as not available, but IMO that just means there are no rates as yet.

1) trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn is $117 tax included with breakfast and 14 days parking. This is a great deal. Right now it would be cheaper to book everyone at this rate, but as next year approaches, the folks without a car could possibly get a better rate. The transportation phone number is on their web site - $40 for up to 4 people. This cannot be booked until 4-6 weeks ahead, but is a very good deal.

2) Country Inns - showing at $214 + tax for room plus cruise transportation. Parking would be extra. This is not a good deal right now and probably won't come down much in price.

3) Hampton Inn Staten Island - free breakfast, parking and cruise shuttle.

4) Other hotel choices on trinity are usually Wyndham Gardens and Springhill Suites, but they are not there yet.

Fairfield Inn would have the Bistro and bar at the Marriott Courtyard next door. Country Inns would have the same for the Elizabeth Courtyard plus a Ruby Tuesday's and IHOP. Hampton Inn would have the restaurant at Hilton Gardens next door.

Thanks, I knew you would have some good suggestions.

Don't get crazy about making a reservation now. Newark Airport is not a vacation destination - it's very transient. What that means is that most folks are not planning their trip to Newark months and months ahead. There is also lots of transportation available there. Once again, folks are not booking limited transportation resources months and months ahead.

trinityreservations books huge blocks of rooms with certain hotels, fixes a price, and offers these rooms + parking for resale. Once their rooms are gone for a particular date, they are gone. They have a liberal cancellation policy - you can cancel up until 12 noon the day before. Read their web site for more information about "How do they do it"

Archived