Any Hotels in the Bayonne Area That Offer Free Parking While You Cruise?

beachsands

After reading the debacles of parking near the Drydock area, I was wondering if there were any hotels/motels that offered free parking while you were on your cruise. Obviously providing you stayed there prior to leaving.

Joel

Try the East coast departures board. I've been reading up on this subject even though my Explorer cruise is not for another year. Yes, I am a compulsive planner..... I am thinking of staying at the Staten island Hampton inn for the free parking, shuttle to the port, free breakfast, and good reviews on Trip Advisor. Check this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1415485

Or this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1415565

There are several choices.

1) Hampton Inn or Hilton Gardens on Staten Island offer free parking and shuttle service to Bayonne. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast. Good access if you're coming from the south - extra toll $8 - no control over shuttle time

2) http://www.trinityreservations.com - usually offer Fairfield Inn, Wyndham Gardens, and Springhill Suites - price quoted INCLUDES tax - prepaid reservation cancellable up until very close to the date. Free breakfast. Arrange your own transportation using number on the website - can organize a small group to get a rate of $10/pp. You control the time you go to the port. Good access if you're coming from the north.

There are other parking/sleep offers out there, but they usually quote before tax rates and ultimately price out to be more expensive.

Most on my cruise thread are driving to port so I'm looking at a cab ride for myself and wondering which of the Newark Marriott properties would be the closest to port, ie the least expensive cab fare....Airport Marriott, Airport Renaissance or Courtyard Elizabeth? Unfortunately, no Marriott Rewards rooms are available so will have to pay for one.

Guessing cab fare to be around $40?

I usually prefer Renaissance properties and Celebrity is offering pre-cruise stay at Newark Airport Renaissance w/ transfers for $163. Hotel offering special rate of $125 including tax which also includes a $20 hotel credit so thinking I might as well take taxi and not deal with the cruise line bus. :cool:

You have two issues - picking a hotel and arranging transportation. Either the Renaissance or Elizabeth Courtyard would be just fine. What time are you arriving in Newark? If you have a lot of time to kill, you might want to stay at the Elizabeth Courtyard because of its proximity to the Jersey Gardens Mall. The Newark Airport hotels are in isolated enclaves with nothing around them - the only exception are the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way next to the mall.

The only folks who offer a $40 fare to the port would be Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0 This would probably be a small van or shuttle bus possibly shared with others. If you call a car service, you will probably get a quote of $50-60. Cabs can basically charge whatever they want. You can call Bayonne Taxi 201-339-5000 to see what they can do for you - folks have arrange transportation with them for $15/pp.

There are three Marriott properties together on the north side of the airport - Newark Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites - I stayed at the Fairfield and used Independent Driver, so I know that is an option. I like the Fairfield - it offers free breakfast, but has no restaurant - you'd have to walk next door to the Courtyard. These are also the closest properties to Bayonne.

I would defnitely do this on your own. I like to arrive at the port about 10:30 - no cruise line transfer is going to do that for you, but if you make your own arrangements, you can control the timing. Also, transportation just doesn't seem to be an issue at the airport - there's plenty of it and it doesn't have to be booked months ahead.

You have two issues - picking a hotel and arranging transportation. Either the Renaissance or Elizabeth Courtyard would be just fine. What time are you arriving in Newark? If you have a lot of time to kill, you might want to stay at the Elizabeth Courtyard because of its proximity to the Jersey Gardens Mall. The Newark Airport hotels are in isolated enclaves with nothing around them - the only exception are the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way next to the mall.

The only folks who offer a $40 fare to the port would be Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0 This would probably be a small van or shuttle bus possibly shared with others. If you call a car service, you will probably get a quote of $50-60. Cabs can basically charge whatever they want. You can call Bayonne Taxi 201-339-5000 to see what they can do for you - folks have arrange transportation with them for $15/pp.

There are three Marriott properties together on the north side of the airport - Newark Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites - I stayed at the Fairfield and used Independent Driver, so I know that is an option. I like the Fairfield - it offers free breakfast, but has no restaurant - you'd have to walk next door to the Courtyard. These are also the closest properties to Bayonne.

I would defnitely do this on your own. I like to arrive at the port about 10:30 - no cruise line transfer is going to do that for you, but if you make your own arrangements, you can control the timing. Also, transportation just doesn't seem to be an issue at the airport - there's plenty of it and it doesn't have to be booked months ahead.

Thank you for the quick response and wonderful info.

I'm a bit confused about transportation to the port. Are you saying Bayonne Taxi only charges $15? Is this shared transportation? I ask because I'll be traveling on my own. I thought I read taxis were at least $40 from hotel to port but could be mistaken.

Also, do you have to buy a specific package to get the transfers at the Hilton and Hampton Inn? I've seen the parking packages but as I'm flying into EWR, that won't be necessary.

Thanks again. :)

I became a solo cruiser this past year. My mother passed away and we had had the Explorer booked in Feb - my husband didn't want to do and I decided to go anyway since it was my 6th Explorer cruise and I knew a bunch of folks who were also going. We had always parked at the port, but $226 to park was pricey plus since I live in Mass, I wanted a bad weather plan. I looked at public transit from NY, park/sleep through trinity, and the Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. First I was going to do the public transit thing, then I booked the Hampton Inn, and finally settled on the park/sleep at the Fairfield.

Your situation is different because you don't have a car. What time does your flight arrive? Whatever hotel you pick, you will be essentially stranded there until you go to the port the next day and you have to be OK with that. That was not my situation - I made dinner plans with some fellow cruisers and we went into a Spanish restaurant in Newark. The only hotels that have any kind of nearby activity are the ones on Glimcher Realty Way.

The situation with Bayonne Taxi is unclear. They apparently do cruise shuttling for the cruiselines and pick up at certain hotels if they have extra room. If Celebrity is putting cruisers in the Renaissance, then that might be one of the hotels. Folks have contacted them and have gotten transportation for $15/pp. Independent Driver offers a $40 fare for up to 4 people - I used them and we had a van to the port and a small shuttle bus on the way back. I'd call these two services to find out what would be possible for your date before making a specific hotel reservation.

I don't know what to advise about the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden. The Hampton Inn seems to have just one rate whereas the Hilton Garden has many rates including a "cruise package" which is new. Folks have reported just booking either hotel and then calling to get the free shuttle transportation to the port. I gather no one is posting on your roll call about any of these options. I was very lucky with the Fairfield - I had no trouble organizing a small group of 7 to book the van to the port for $10/pp. since there were lots of cruisers staying there.

Transportation back to the airport from Bayonne should not be an issue - there are airport shuttles for $15/pp.

Has anyone tried a park/sleep/fly package at Newark International, taking a shuttle to the terminal and picking up a Celebrity transfer there? Anyone know the cost of the transfer to the Summit??

My guess is that the Celebrity transfer would be more than the cab ride. Why would you want to schlep all your luggage on a hotel shuttle back to one of the terminals, find the cruise transfer and wait around for who knows how long before they take you to the ship? It's much simpler to arrange for a car service or cab to pick you up at your hotel and run you over to Bayonne. Give me more details - are you traveling solo, what, date, what hotel? Have you called any of the places I suggested?

Carol...i am BACKKKKKK.. email me, i have a new one

mojitomeg gmail you can figure out the @ and dot com parts

anyway..

IMO the Renaissance isn't that nice...aside from the hotel itself there isn't any place to eat. Some of the other Marriott brands have a park n cruise but it is hit or miss (i was looking yesterday and not all of them have it....the ones that do include only 4 days of parking and the room for like 30 bucks...EEEK)

they say the rooms are newly renovated which is not correct as according to their room info, they were done in 2008. When i toured there last fall i was not impressed...

both CYs are OK, as is the Spring hill suites....the residence inn is probably my favorite (this week..LOL)

As 138 (carol) said the Glimcher Realty way hotels (Courtyard, residence inn, country inn) at least offer IHOP and ruby tuesday, plus the jersey gardens mall..

HTH.

My guess is that the Celebrity transfer would be more than the cab ride. Why would you want to schlep all your luggage on a hotel shuttle back to one of the terminals, find the cruise transfer and wait around for who knows how long before they take you to the ship? It's much simpler to arrange for a car service or cab to pick you up at your hotel and run you over to Bayonne. Give me more details - are you traveling solo, what, date, what hotel? Have you called any of the places I suggested?

You're right -- we wouldn't want to lug our luggage on and off a shuttle, at least not more than once! It will be DH and me, we are sailing 7/24 on Summitt and are still working out the details. We don't have a hotel picked out yet, are open to any recommendations.

You're looking for a park/sleep, right? I was very satisfied with trinityreservations.com - I will use them again next Feb. For 7/23 the Fairfield Inn is $122 incl tax and breakfast and 14 days parking. There is a number on the website for Independent Driver - $40 for up to 4 people to Bayonne. This will likely be a shared ride in a van or shuttle bus. There were no issues with the parking.

Don't obsess about picking out a hotel at Newark Airport - they are all airport hotels and most are relatively isolated. Typically we are recommending the Marriott properties (Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites), the Sheraton, Country Inns, and the Hilton properties. Folks have stayed at other hotels and been happy - however there are a few hotels that we do not recommend, so ask before you make a nonrefundable decision.

You're looking for a park/sleep, right? I was very satisfied with trinityreservations.com - I will use them again next Feb. For 7/23 the Fairfield Inn is $122 incl tax and breakfast and 14 days parking. There is a number on the website for Independent Driver - $40 for up to 4 people to Bayonne. This will likely be a shared ride in a van or shuttle bus. There were no issues with the parking.

Don't obsess about picking out a hotel at Newark Airport - they are all airport hotels and most are relatively isolated. Typically we are recommending the Marriott properties (Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites), the Sheraton, Country Inns, and the Hilton properties. Folks have stayed at other hotels and been happy - however there are a few hotels that we do not recommend, so ask before you make a nonrefundable decision.

138, thanks so much for going to so much trouble to help us out. I think I'll look at the Fairfield but may come back with more questions before 7/23.

I became a solo cruiser this past year. My mother passed away and we had had the Explorer booked in Feb - my husband didn't want to do and I decided to go anyway since it was my 6th Explorer cruise and I knew a bunch of folks who were also going. We had always parked at the port, but $226 to park was pricey plus since I live in Mass, I wanted a bad weather plan. I looked at public transit from NY, park/sleep through trinity, and the Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. First I was going to do the public transit thing, then I booked the Hampton Inn, and finally settled on the park/sleep at the Fairfield.

Your situation is different because you don't have a car. What time does your flight arrive? Whatever hotel you pick, you will be essentially stranded there until you go to the port the next day and you have to be OK with that. That was not my situation - I made dinner plans with some fellow cruisers and we went into a Spanish restaurant in Newark. The only hotels that have any kind of nearby activity are the ones on Glimcher Realty Way.

The situation with Bayonne Taxi is unclear. They apparently do cruise shuttling for the cruiselines and pick up at certain hotels if they have extra room. If Celebrity is putting cruisers in the Renaissance, then that might be one of the hotels. Folks have contacted them and have gotten transportation for $15/pp. Independent Driver offers a $40 fare for up to 4 people - I used them and we had a van to the port and a small shuttle bus on the way back. I'd call these two services to find out what would be possible for your date before making a specific hotel reservation.

I don't know what to advise about the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden. The Hampton Inn seems to have just one rate whereas the Hilton Garden has many rates including a "cruise package" which is new. Folks have reported just booking either hotel and then calling to get the free shuttle transportation to the port. I gather no one is posting on your roll call about any of these options. I was very lucky with the Fairfield - I had no trouble organizing a small group of 7 to book the van to the port for $10/pp. since there were lots of cruisers staying there.

Transportation back to the airport from Bayonne should not be an issue - there are airport shuttles for $15/pp.

Thank you for your input and sorry not to have responded back sooner....tough work week.

First of all, so sorry for the loss of your mom. I know you must miss her. I'm glad you went ahead with the cruise anyway.

I love crusing solo...my own bathroom, setting my own schedule, etc... I know it's a hassle but using free tickets into JFK, taking shuttle bus direct to EWR and using Marriott coupons for night before cruise so looking at chain's locations in area. Country Inns and Suites were actually higher as is Hilton and Hampton Inn. Got no answer from Bayonne Taxi this morning but will try again later. Still considering Celebrity $163 rate at EWR Renaissance...hotel plus transfers...or maybe booking myself at same hotel using free Marriott coupon and talking bus driver into a transfer the next morning. And if that doesn't work, bite the bullet and call a cab. :cool:

What are some of the bad hotels to stay at in the EWR airport area. We are on an Explorer cruise in October and planned on staying in this area as we would want access to the Prudential center and Jersey Gardens Mall. Then if time permits we would probably take a day trip into Manhattan.

What hotels are you looking at? I prefer to comment on folks' choices. If you want to stay next to Jersey Gardens, we have been recommending Country Inns, the Marriott Courtyard, and the Residence Inn. There is a #40 bus that will take you into downtown Newark where you can walk the 3 or so blocks to the Prudential Center. The same bus will take you to Newark Penn Station to take a train to NYC or you can take the #111 or #115 bus directly to and from NY (check timetable - limited schedule).

Newark is a highly urban industrial area and we strongly recommend being selective about your hotel. Coming back to Newark Penn Station later in the evening, I recommend spending the money on a cab back to your hotel.

What hotels are you looking at? I prefer to comment on folks' choices. If you want to stay next to Jersey Gardens, we have been recommending Country Inns, the Marriott Courtyard, and the Residence Inn. There is a #40 bus that will take you into downtown Newark where you can walk the 3 or so blocks to the Prudential Center. The same bus will take you to Newark Penn Station to take a train to NYC or you can take the #111 or #115 bus directly to and from NY (check timetable - limited schedule).

Newark is a highly urban industrial area and we strongly recommend being selective about your hotel. Coming back to Newark Penn Station later in the evening, I recommend spending the money on a cab back to your hotel.

I don't know we just planned on using priceline and getting a 3 1/2 star or higher. Because every individual hotel in the area we have looked at has an airport shuttle and from the airport you can get transportation to pretty much everywhere from either shuttles or public transport. Or hotwire has a 3* hotel hotel for $65 a night as well. If we can save on the hotel I don't mind paying the cab fare to the cruise dock as I don't really want to have to carry our luggage on public transport for the cheaper route to the dock.

You seem to have two different issues - local transportation around the area without luggage and getting to the port with luggage. What dates are you looking at?

For local transportation you can always take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and go from there. However, some of the hotels are on local bus lines to Newark Penn Station or to New York. This can be a lot easier than going back through the airport. I have no problem with a 3 1/2* hotel on Hotwire or Priceline, but some of the 3* hotels are not optimal. Hotwire shows the amenities and Betterbidding can be used to narrow down the possibilities. A 2 1/2* with lots of amenities including a pool is almost certain to be Country Inns.

There is really no convenient public transit option to the port - you would have to do a big loop - get to Newark Penn Station, take Path to Exchange Place, light rail to Bayonne, and a cab into the port. A car service is really your only manageable option.

I am looking at a November cruise, i wonder if the paint specks on ones car problem would be there during the cooler months? Of course if they are painting indoors all along, then i guess it might be a moot point.

Thanks to all who are offering great insight on this discussion.

Joel

We are going on the October 13th Canada/NE cruise and doing a b2b to Bermuda as well so that would put us back in Jersey on the 27th. So we will be out a day earlier for sure, but it will depend on the sports schedules as to if we come out sooner or spend a couple days afterwards.

Yes I meant getting around will be super easy as public transit will be optimal as we can shuttle back to the airport to use public transit or as you said jump on a bus if one comes by the Hotel. However going to the port we don't want to take our luggage on public transit so our only option are cab or as u said private car service. Who would you recommend for car service? What is the cost compared to a cab from the airport?

Also Country Inn and Suites is only rated a 2 and a half star? It seems pretty decent for a 2 and a half star.

A lot of folks use Black Executive Cars - in the $50-$60 range. In Feb I was staying at the Fairfield and I organized some fellow cruisers to use Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 Ext 0 These folks charge $40 for up to 4 people and then $10/pp after that - we had 7 people so it was a good deal. However, these folks are low budget - cell phones, no web site, no booking months ahead, and no credit cards. They seem to be hustling - our driver was early for both pickups.

I'm also surprised that Country Inns is only a 2 1/2* hotel on Hotwire - I stayed there for 2 nights in November and it was just fine - I have no hesitation recommending it. The good news is that as a 2 1/2* hotel on Hotwire with lots of amenities, it really stands out if you are looking for a discount room. They seem to do a lot of bus tours, so if they don't have a tour, the rooms go out on Hotwire.

I checked Hotwire for your dates. I'm seeing a 3* Newark Airport hotel for $64-65. Given the amenities, my best guess is that it is the Sheraton. I've stayed there and would recommend it. However, it appears there is a $18 parking charge, but it's still the best deal out there. The #40 NJTransit bus stops in front of the hotel and will take you to Newark Penn Station. This is one of the closest hotels to Newark Penn Station - a cab back to this hotel late at night should be about $20.

If you end up at this hotel, you absolutely need to print out the directions. You must choose the correct road coming through the Exit 14 toll plaza - if you don't, you will be lost in the spaghetti roads around the airport.

Sorry I should have made it clear. We are from Canada(west side) and definitely plan on flying in and then would plan on just using the airport shuttle to get to and from the airport/hotel. Thanks you very much for that info, it was much appreciated.

No problem - then the Hotwire option is even a better deal for you. The Sheraton is a full service hotel (i.e. restaurant). As you pointed out all the hotels have shuttles, but many of the hotels don't have restaurants - some offer free breakfast, but lunch or dinner is vending machine or take out.

Archived