Hampton Inn Staten Island

Laurab23

Want to give a big thumbs up to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island.We stayed there overnight and left our car there for a 9 day cruise out of Brooklyn.Very nice motel,very clean with a very nice staff.They told us to leave our car near the front entrance so they could keep a closer eye on it while we were gone.We ordered a pizza from and place they told us about that delivered and they have a nice breakfast buffet in the morning. Very pleased that we chose the Hampton to stay at.

Laura

Want to give a big thumbs up to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island.We stayed there overnight and left our car there for a 9 day cruise out of Brooklyn.Very nice motel,very clean with a very nice staff.They told us to leave our car near the front entrance so they could keep a closer eye on it while we were gone.We ordered a pizza from and place they told us about that delivered and they have a nice breakfast buffet in the morning. Very pleased that we chose the Hampton to stay at.

Laura

I am also curious about the cost of transportation to Brooklyn from the Hampton Inn. Which car service did you use?

Thanks, Karen

So that's $57 + tip - the bridge toll is $11.

The toll is now $13. There is now a new Holiday Inn Express open on Staten Island.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/staten-island/nycst/hoteldetail?destination=Staten+Island%2C+New+York%2C+United+States&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&numberOfChildren=0&ratePreference=6CBARC

Will be interesting to see if they will also provide a shuttle to & from Bayonne.

Marge

The toll is now $13. There is now a new Holiday Inn Express open on Staten Island.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/staten-island/nycst/hoteldetail?destination=Staten+Island%2C+New+York%2C+United+States&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&numberOfChildren=0&ratePreference=6CBARC

Will be interesting to see if they will also provide a shuttle to & from Bayonne.

Marge

I actually called them earlier, and asked if they provided shuttle service to Bayonne or Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in NJ. The front desk clerk told me that they did not provide any transportation to out of state. I said it is just across the bridge. He insisted on his reply. I asked them if they have shuttle to NJ Airport and he said yes. So I don't understand. Maybe the hotel is too new to get the logistic done right.

I'd be very surprised if the car service didn't have EZ Pass, which would make the toll $9.60. It's not that they care about the toll because it's passed along to the passenger, but the EZ Pass toll lanes usually move more quickly than the cash lanes, which saves the service time, as well as saving them money by reducing gasoline useage.

Toll is collected returning without passengers, maybe that is why they charged the cash price.

No one here actually knows what they charged. The OP just said $46 "plus tolls each way". We've been hypothesizing, $11 (but that was the old cash toll), $13 (current cash toll), or $9.60 (current EZ Pass toll). The OP never said exactly how much they were charged.

I just hope hope the OP wasn't charged a toll as if it were collected each direction, because as you said, the toll is only collected on the return.

we were only charged one toll of $13 each way.I know it was $13 because that was the amount of cash the driver handed them at the toll booth.Whatever the cost,we were just happy we didn't have to make the drive from Staten Island to the cruise port.Money well spent!

Laura

We are planning on staying at this Hampton Inn in Sept for a few days before a cruise. How convenient is it to get to Manhattan from the hotel? I know there is a free shuttle to the ferry. But, is it hard to get the shuttle when you want to go somewhere? Is it practical to stay there if you want to see NYC but not spend $400 per night?

I gather from another post that you are 4 people (one room??), sailing from Manhattan on 9/17, and flying into Newark. IMO it's not practical to stay on Staten Island if you want to spend several days in NY. The hotel will provide a shuttle to the ferry terminal, but folks have reported problems getting picked up to get back to the hotel - the shuttle may not be immediately available to come and get you - cab back to the hotel would be your alternative. It will take about 1/2 hour to get to the ferry and another 1/2 hour to get to downtown Manhattan and another 1/2 hour to get to various locations in midtown - a minimum of 1 1/2 hours each way. Then you have to get to the Manhattan pier - another shuttle and ferry ride to downtown NY and cab to the terminal unless you book a car service.

Unfortunately you have picked fashion week to be in NYC - that's why hotel rates are insane. However, I have found two other alternatives for 4 people on Hotwire for you for 9/14-9/17.

1) 3* hotel at Newark airport for $78. Given the amenities this is likely to be the Sheraton. Amenities are no smoking, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, and internet. From the Sheraton your group can take a cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and then the train to NY Penn Station for $5 or Path to downtown NY for $1.75. This trip can be done in about an hour. There is also local bus service (#40) from the hotel to Newark Penn station that runs hourly. You can also take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and airtrain to NY for $12.50. Hotel would have an airport shuttle. To get to the Manhattan pier you can take a car service or cab to the train station, train, and cab to the pier.

4) 4* hotel in Jersey City for $225. This will be either the Hyatt or Westin - these are elegant hotels that everyone has been happy with. Either hotel will be near a Path Station with service to midtown or downtown NY for $1.75 - about 10-20 minutes depending on where you are going. To get to the pier you can arrange a car service or take Path to midtown or downtown and a cab from there. You would need a cab to get from the airport to this hotel.

I don't know what your overall budget is, but if you can afford the Jersey City hotel, I would grab it in a heartbeat. It's super close to NY and has terrific public transportation - you would all have the flexibility to do what you want in NY and be able to easily get back to the hotel on your own.

Archived