TA's discriminating against C&A members?

What the travel agents are doing is not discrimination, it's economics. All of these C&A benefits directly lower their commission levels. Now, this should all come out BEFORE a transfer or booking is made, to put everything out in the open. All price drops also directly lower a TA's commission.

There comes a point where the TA would be paying the client to cruise - and that is hardly fair. Everyone wants their C&A benefits, their price drops, and perks galore, but to keep afloat, a TA actually has to make some money, too.;) Otherwise, they go out of business. The TA does not even get the total commission - it is split. So when you talk about 15% of the commissionable cruise fare, the actual TA may only be getting 5%. The commission that a TA makes on a 3 day cruise could be as low as $15 or even lower. And clients want that $15 in obc...

No the TA's are just plain greedy!! I had one that did that and will never use them again and I tell all the folks I know not to use them. I am sure the few bucks they thought they saved cost them $1000's in ill will!

You have tarred a lot of good TAs with a very broad brush when you say that "TAs are just plain greedy" and you fail to acknowledge that at some point even the best TAs can only reduce their commissions so much and still remain in business, All you really should expect from a good TA is excellent service, good information and advice, and knowledge about the product (cruise line, AI, land excursion etc.). Anything else is an extra and it shouldn't be expected to be offered in all circumstances. If your references are to a single TA such as the one you dealt with, it would only be fair of you to be clearer in your posts because as it reads, it looks like an indictment of all TAs and that just isn't fair or correct.

That is ok. There are many many travel agents who discriminate against Cruise Critic members and will not take them on as a client. It is just not worth the headache. As a general rule, a CC member will pump an agent for information and then get a quote and then start shopping all to save an extra $20 or $30.

If a TA wants to stay in business they are not going to operate at a loss since a C&A discount does affect the cruise fare that their pay is based on. Glad that there are some of us who would rather turn business away than deal with some people. Some business just is not worth it.

I take it you are a TA. So you're saying those of us that are savvy or smart are a pain to travel agents? No problem. I guess they don't need to advertise on CC anymore then.

From now on, I'll be back booking with the cruise line direct since there is no compelling reason to use the TA. How about a least a bottle of wine for my business?

That is ok. There are many many travel agents who discriminate against Cruise Critic members and will not take them on as a client. It is just not worth the headache. As a general rule, a CC member will pump an agent for information and then get a quote and then start shopping all to save an extra $20 or $30.

If a TA wants to stay in business they are not going to operate at a loss since a C&A discount does affect the cruise fare that their pay is based on. Glad that there are some of us who would rather turn business away than deal with some people. Some business just is not worth it.

Speak for yourself or your agency but again you are painting every TA with the same type of brush that you are criticizing someone else for doing. All TAs are not discriminating against CC members though you would seem to indicate that they are. In fact many welcome dealing with informed clients and they often find them to be valuable resources of information based on their cruise experiences. Headache clients don't belong to a particular group and to a great degree they are part of the cost of doing business. Arbitrary classifying people as "headaches" based solely on their membership in any group is silly and counterproductive.

No the TA's are just plain greedy!! I had one that did that and will never use them again and I tell all the folks I know not to use them. I am sure the few bucks they thought they saved cost them $1000's in ill will!

Wow, you think they should make nothing just for the pleasure of dealing with you?

Your bad mouthing may have been a blessing to the TA if your "folks" have your attitude.:(

Speak for yourself or your agency but again you are painting every TA with the same type of brush that you are criticizing someone else for doing. All TAs are not discriminating against CC members though you would seem to indicate that they are. In fact many welcome dealing with informed clients and they often find them to be valuable resources of information based on their cruise experiences. Headache clients don't belong to a particular group and to a great degree they are part of the cost of doing business. Arbitrary classifying people as "headaches" based solely on their membership in any group is silly and counterproductive.

Never once did I say ALL. I just said many. The posters here seem to forget that Cruise Critic is owned by the largest travel agency in the world. Without that TA, CC would not exist.

Many TA's just do not have time for those who rely on the information of I read, they said, I was told. Too much of a headache and not worth the trouble.

Wow, you think they should make nothing just for the pleasure of dealing with you?

Your bad mouthing may have been a blessing to the TA if your "folks" have your attitude.:(

Yes my attitute is the customer should come

first not the TA's pocket or good service should come before profit. BTW the TA would not have made nothing.

So if I am able to reduce my $2600 cruise fare by $200 the TA doesn't want my business because he/she will see $20 less commission? And that's a good enough reason to refuse my business? So how about you agree to reduce the prepaid gratuities by that $20 and still book my cruise and keep my business?

When they flood my inbox with special offers they seem to leave out the fine print "except for C&A members".

And please, don't tell me they only make $5 on a booking.

Never once did I say ALL. I just said many. The posters here seem to forget that Cruise Critic is owned by the largest travel agency in the world. Without that TA, CC would not exist.

Many TA's just do not have time for those who rely on the information of I read, they said, I was told. Too much of a headache and not worth the trouble.

Actually you said "many,many" which, to me at least, seemed to indicate that you believe your statement to be true of the majority of travel agents and that is just not accurate. Anyone who deals with the public will tell you that some of them are PIAs but when you are in the service industry, hospitality industry and many other businesses, dealing with those people is part of the cost of doing business. Lumping many CCers with those people who only want to use a TA for the gooddies he or she can offer, or as a source of information and who then go off and book on their own is unfair to the many people on these boards who are knowledgeable, share that knowledge with others, and use a good TA for the service that the TA provides.

So if I am able to reduce my $2600 cruise fare by $200 the TA doesn't want my business because he/she will see $20 less commission? And that's a good enough reason to refuse my business? So how about you agree to reduce the prepaid gratuities by that $20 and still book my cruise and keep my business?

When they flood my inbox with special offers they seem to leave out the fine print "except for C&A members".

And please, don't tell me they only make $5 on a booking.

Depends on the cruise. On one day cruises Vancouver to Seattle, the total owing to a TA can be in the realm of $2 or less. And I am not kidding. I know this as fact.;)

Yes my attitute is the customer should come

first not the TA's pocket or good service should come before profit. BTW the TA would not have made nothing.

Actually my employees come first before any customer. With thread after thread that states a TA is only good for perks, discounts and OBC, why should many TA's pay any attention to or want a cruise critic member as a client. Most clients don't come to a TA for an opinion but for their expert advice. To have a client question that advice negates the need for a TA.

Are there bad TA's, sure but there are also bad abusive clients. Clients who think they can make tons of cabin changes and not have to pay a TA a fee. Sure RCI will do it but it won't be long before they go the way of the airlines and start charging for any client requested changes.

Depends on the cruise. On one day cruises Vancouver to Seattle, the total owing to a TA can be in the realm of $2 or less. And I am not kidding. I know this as fact.;)

Perhaps, but they are not offering $140 in prepaid gratuities on that fare either and I'm talking about 7 day fares over $1000.

So in reality, if a TA is offering prepaid gratuities on a particular sailing, that offer applies to insides booked at $400 and suites booked at $2000. Doesn't make sense to me. Being a balcony/suite buyer, seems they can "live" with allowing me to get my C&A discount and their offer.

Perhaps, but they are not offering $140 in prepaid gratuities on that fare either and I'm talking about 7 day fares over $1000.

So in reality, if a TA is offering prepaid gratuities on a particular sailing, that offer applies to insides booked at $400 and suites booked at $2000. Doesn't make sense to me. Being a balcony/suite buyer, seems they can "live" with allowing me to get my C&A discount and their offer.

Different agencies can do different things. There is no way of knowing what some of the huge online agencies get in the way of commission. There are things going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. There is a lot of financial juggling. Not all agencies can do what other agencies can. But, the agencies set the rules. It's really not the TA alone that does this - there are higher ups saying what can and cannot be done.

Love my TA and have used her for years! Booked a $7,410 Suite, minus bal. discount of $225 =$7,185 with a $700 OBC. Other examples are balconies $2650/$225 OBC and $3,325/$250 OBC.

I always am honest/upfront about any discounts I may have, and she always gives me a generous OBC.

Yesterday, I got emails from two large online TAs. One offered up to $200 OBC per cabin and pre-paid gratuities. The other free spa credit, 15% excursion credit and specialty dining.

Boring down and reading the fine print for each "....offers cannot be combined with any other discounts including Crown & Anchor..."

So I take this to mean that as a Crown & Anchor member they are not interested in my business. So why would I book with them? I'll be going back to direct booking and they'll get no commission. And they will unsubscribed from my email.

I recently booked while onboard & am shopping for a TA to transfer the reservation to. I've provided ALL the necessary information which includes a $325 balcony discount. I've received several responses offering OBC, spa, prepaid gratuities, etc.

You can't get an accurate quote if you provide inaccurate/incomplete information.

We went thru 3 travel agents before we landed with our current guy. We do all of our bookings with a next cruise booking, and he still gives us a nice on board credit. He even shops for a price drop for me.

I would love to share his name, but I would get thrown off this board. So sorry.

Sandy

I just went cruise shopping with some large online TA's. Some offered prepaid gratuities and/or other perks for booking with them. As soon as I mentioned I qualified for the C&A balcony discount they pulled their offer saying that with the C&A fare reduction they could not offer those perks.

Seems unfair to offer perks to the general public then withdraw them from C&A members. I'll keep shopping.

That's not right,,,we also get C&A discounts and our TA gladly deducts for us and gives us onboard credit:D, we have been using him for quite a few years, and also bringing him new customers:D. He is a big RCCL patron,,,just came off the Allure and loved it,,,I told him when they drop the price we may consider it:eek:..Have the Freedom booked for Jan.29th,,love that ship...

Yesterday, I got emails from two large online TAs. One offered up to $200 OBC per cabin and pre-paid gratuities. The other free spa credit, 15% excursion credit and specialty dining.

Boring down and reading the fine print for each "....offers cannot be combined with any other discounts including Crown & Anchor..."

So I take this to mean that as a Crown & Anchor member they are not interested in my business. So why would I book with them? I'll be going back to direct booking and they'll get no commission. And they will unsubscribed from my email.

Then go away from the large online agencies, and find a TA that can do something for you. It won't be in the realm of $200 obc and pre-paid grats, but it will be something.

Then go away from the large online agencies, and find a TA that can do something for you. It won't be in the realm of $200 obc and pre-paid grats, but it will be something.

Yes I agree; my point is carefully read the terms of offers. In the past, I have used a smaller TA only to have the OBC not show up and we fought about it after the cruise.

My original point is buyer beware as always. However, that being said, be careful not to pay a higher fare just to get a "free" bottle of wine.

These same agencies are today touting great RCCL Memorial weekend sales event (small print) "except for C&A members".

I just went cruise shopping with some large online TA's. Some offered prepaid gratuities and/or other perks for booking with them. As soon as I mentioned I qualified for the C&A balcony discount they pulled their offer saying that with the C&A fare reduction they could not offer those perks.

Seems unfair to offer perks to the general public then withdraw them from C&A members. I'll keep shopping.

All large online Tas do NOT pull their perks if you ask about C&A balcony discount. I have had them ask me for my C&A number and then they told me that my balcony discount was x amt. of $$$ and still gave me their perks. I would keep trying. There are lots of large online TAs out there. Some advertise here on CC ! Good Luck!:D

Archived