Question about Silk Long Johns

4_Leaf_Clover

Our family uses the silk long johns for our skiing and snow playing. I really like the ones I ordered from Lands End. The quality is good and they were the right price.

Ours are from Lands End too. Dh has one shirt from Eddie Bauer. One thing to remember is they need to be the 100% silk garments. A blend doesn't provide the best warmth.

Does anybody know of an ACTUAL storefront that sells these? I would love to try some on and I cant do that ordering online.

Thanks!!

Have you been to the REI stores in your area? There are two in Houston. You can try on all of the gear you want and the employees are very helpful. They have a sale this weekend. http://www.rei.com/

Have you been to the REI stores in your area? There are two in Houston. You can try on all of the gear you want and the employees are very helpful. They have a sale this weekend. http://www.rei.com/

I havent, but am planning to very soon. I actually live an hour south of Houston so dont go there unless I absolutely have to :rolleyes: Sale this weekend huh? Hmmmm....I may have to go a little sooner than planned. Thanks!

I havent, but am planning to very soon. I actually live an hour south of Houston so dont go there unless I absolutely have to :rolleyes: Sale this weekend huh? Hmmmm....I may have to go a little sooner than planned. Thanks!

Definitely go! The lifetime membership is only $20 and it's probably worth it if you are buying a bunch of stuff, especially with the coupons. Also, browse their outlet.com section too. If they don't have your size or items in stock, they can order and have it delivered to the store with no shipping. But not sure if that is convenient for you in terms of the drive and time as you are leaving soon..... Oh wait... are you going next week or 2012?!?

Definitely go! The lifetime membership is only $20 and it's probably worth it if you are buying a bunch of stuff, especially with the coupons. Also, browse their outlet.com section too. If they don't have your size or items in stock, they can order and have it delivered to the store with no shipping. But not sure if that is convenient for you in terms of the drive and time as you are leaving soon..... Oh wait... are you going next week or 2012?!?

............2012 :o LOL

I'm an obsessive planner!

............2012 :o LOL

I'm an obsessive planner!

Don't feel bad - I am too. :D

Just noticed - we're sailing two days after you next year. We're leaving from Vancouver (northbound). What is your departure port?

Just got off the Coral Northbound Vancouver to Whittier. I took my Cuddl Duds Climate Smart:

"WARM & DRY

Climatesmart

Temperature regulating benefits so you always feel as comfortable as possible. Climatesmart® is the ultimate next-to-skin garment for any occasion indoors and out."

We had a balcony and spent hours and hours on it every day. I wore my bottoms every day with the exception of embarkation/disembarkation days. I wore the top under other layers for about four days. They are so light weight that I washed them in the sink and hung to dry in the bathroom on the clothes-line above the bathtub. They dried over-night. With the climatesmart, I was warm and toasty while outside on the balcony, but not too warm inside in our cabin or wandering the ship.

I found mine at Macy's in Michigan, but have also seen them here at JC Penny and a few other stores. Even being from Michigan where it gets really cold and snowy, I liked having them, especially the bottoms. I wore sweat pants more than jeans over the bottoms and was never cold.

I have a pair of long underwear I bought at Target and the label says made by Cuddl duds but its a sub brand. Fabric is polyester.

Are the silk ones that much warmer than the polyester and does Cuddl Duds make a silk version?

I am totally confused! Do I need a camisole-type top, short sleeves, or long sleeves? Do any of the newer synthetic moisture-wicking tops work as well or would they be a second layer?

Last time I wore thermal undies was when we lived in Michigan in the 70s.....

I got mine from Sierra Trading Post. I think they are the Terramar ones. They are great for under jeans when it is below zero. Not sure I'll need them in Alaska though. They are a little bit like panty hose material in that they do snag a little. They aren't quite as tight as panty hose though. At least mine aren't. I think I ordered XL and they fit fine. I usually wear a 14 or 16 jeans.

I ordered a top also, but I didn't care for it. It was too tight. It was a long sleeve one. I sent it back. I prefer just putting on a fleece vest over my shirt.

I am totally confused! Do I need a camisole-type top, short sleeves, or long sleeves? Do any of the newer synthetic moisture-wicking tops work as well or would they be a second layer?

Last time I wore thermal undies was when we lived in Michigan in the 70s.....

Being from Michigan, I bought the Cuddl Duds white long sleeved top and I think it is a polyester type material (as well as the black bottoms). I wore my top under a vest or little jersey knit jacket a couple of times and it looked nice as well as kept me warm. Sorry, I can't answer personally about some of the other synthetic moisture wicking materials, but I would imagine that they would help with sweating that sometimes occurs under layers. I'm just not sure about how they help to keep you warmer. Our bodes are all different so what works for me may not work for you. :confused:

Just a note for others - the weather was warmer (in the mid 50*s to mid 60*s) this time around for us (much cooler and wetter in 2009). The reason that I wore many layers a lot was because we spent HOURS at a time on our balcony and/or the Promenade deck walking laps to counteract the food that we ate. I didn't wear all of these layers while walking around on the ship or in the ports.

In the ports, I usually wore a short sleeved wicking-material top under a zip-up jersey knit jacket, under a fleece jacket and a gortex top layer. At times I got warm and just unzipped the two outer jackets. At other times I took off the top layer/gortex. In Skagway, I wore a hoodie and the the two jackets. It got so warm that I took off both outer layer jackets and left them in the rental car while we walked around and shopped.

I've lived in Michigan all of my life and have done a lot of winter hiking/camping. I'm just the type that likes to be prepared for any weather that we might encounter.

Would I take my Cuddl Duds on our next trip to AK? Definitely - even if in June/July/August. Unless I search the 10-day weather forecast and see that it should be in the 80*s the entiere time - and then I might leave them behind. :D

Thanks so much. I discovered that OneHanesPlace carries Cuddl Duds at a reasonable price. http://www.onehanesplace.com/Cuddl-Duds

I'm in no rush as we are are cruising next May and can more easily locate cold weather items in the winter. I may have to go to the mountains to do some experimenting--we live in a valley in southern NM and rarely have very cold weather.

Archived