mobile broadband Alaska

steverenee

Hi

We're going on an Alaskan cruise / tour ( HAL # 2) next month. We are new to cruising and to Alaska. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or ideas on buying a no contract mobile broadband USB for our trip. We have a small laptop computer and this would allow assess mostly for the land portion without needing to find WIFI spots.

Just looking for easy ways to stay in touch with family while in Alaska.

Thanks !!!

Hi

We're going on an Alaskan cruise / tour ( HAL # 2) next month. We are new to cruising and to Alaska. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience or ideas on buying a no contract mobile broadband USB for our trip. We have a small laptop computer and this would allow assess mostly for the land portion without needing to find WIFI spots.

Just looking for easy ways to stay in touch with family while in Alaska.

Thanks !!!

I have not done this in Alaska, but, I would suggest that you research the coverage maps for ATT, Verizon, Virgin Mobile.

I know that ATT and Virgin Mobile have plans like you describe. Not sure about Verizon.

Virgin Mobile, last I looked had unlimited data for $50/month whereas ATT had a capped plan that was also $50/ month.

Regardless, the maps will give you a pretty good idea of data

coverage so that you can plan accordingly.

Tip: If you go with ATT, you can buy the ATT USB device on ebay for way less than what ATT charges.

Also suggest that you get the device asap and then use it at home to work out any bugs before your trip.

Archived