Opinions on Alhambra Beach Resort?

GreytRacer

I see the Alhambra Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale is listed #1 on Trip Advisor, but I'm looking for opinions of locals or anyone who has stayed there.

I'm a bit leary of this rating, since Trip Advisor also rates the Premier Hotel at #10 (one step below the Ritz-Carlton!), and I've stayed there, and let me tell you, it wasn't "premier"! :eek:

DH and I are looking for an inexpensive hotel near the beach for a long weekend. Doesn't need to be fancy, but clean (and not decorated with rejects from a yard sale) is a must. :p

Thanks!

DH and I stayed one night last Feb. there. It is a great place, we had a small room, old style but loved it. Nothing yard selley about this place, the owners are great. Little walk to the beach. You may be able to score a bigger place on the water with Priceline ect, it won't be as personal as this place.

How far of a walk to the beach? Block(s)? We aren't planning to rent a car, so would need everything (beach, restaurants, etc) within walking distance.

Also, it appears that the Westin and the Sheraton are available (my best best guess, anyway) on Hotwire. I know these are completely different in feel, but the price is about the same as the Alhambra, but without a continental breakfast, and possibly, a resort fee. Thoughts for these vs the Alhambra?

Thanks!

How far of a walk to the beach? Block(s)? We aren't planning to rent a car, so would need everything (beach, restaurants, etc) within walking distance.

Also, it appears that the Westin and the Sheraton are available (my best best guess, anyway) on Hotwire. I know these are completely different in feel, but the price is about the same as the Alhambra, but without a continental breakfast, and possibly, a resort fee. Thoughts for these vs the Alhambra?

Thanks!

It's about a block from the beach and there are lots restaurants and CVS a few blocks away. (my favorite is Casablanca Cafe, 2 blocks away). It is a lot closer to everything than the Sheraton and a little closer than the Westin. With that said, I have to admit I usually prefer staying in a big hotel.

Thanks for all your help royalcruz! :)

Would cab fare from the airport to the Alhambra be about $25?

Yes, about $25, maybe a little more depending on traffic and whether or not the bridge is up or down.

Any Cuban resaurants near this hotel? Love Cuban food, but not much chance of that at home in IN. :p

We are going to go ahead and book this hotel. I'll report back after our trip, so it will be here for future reference. :)

Any Cuban resaurants near this hotel? Love Cuban food, but not much chance of that at home in IN. :p

We are going to go ahead and book this hotel. I'll report back after our trip, so it will be here for future reference. :)

No Cuban restaurants are in the area. The best moderately priced restaurants within blocks IMO are Casablanca Cafe, H2O, and Coconuts. I've heard that Spazio is also good. Dress is nice casual at all of these.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to report back about our stay at this hotel, so it would be here for future reference/travelers.

The Alhambra Beach Resort was GREAT! Half a block to a great stretch of beach, that was never crowded; we figured we would have a longer walk to the beach if we were in one of the big hotels along the beach. There's no highrise hotels on that one block-long section, so the big crowds were to the right and left of us. Saturday was the most crowded day, and I counted 12 people, including us.

The owner and manager were both wonderful. We were met at the gate as the cab pulled up, shown to our room and greeted with a friendly smile (and sometimes a beer) everytime we saw them. They had Tommy Bahama umbrellas and beach chairs to use for free and a free continental breakfast. Room had a fridge and a microwave. We were in the smallest room they had, but found it to be cozy and comfortable.

On the Friday afternoon we were there, they had a cook-out for all the guests and did hamburgers and hotdogs to order, plus sides, drinks and beer. For FREE! This is FLL, where it costs you $5 for a moldy sandwich out fo the CVS cooler (we know, because we bought one. Yuck!).

I would highly recommend this hotel. Nothing "fancy", but clean, comfortable and friendly, in a great location. And Matt and Ernesto will do everything to make your stay enjoyable.

I wanted to report back about our stay at this hotel, so it would be here for future reference/travelers.

The Alhambra Beach Resort was GREAT! Half a block to a great stretch of beach, that was never crowded; we figured we would have a longer walk to the beach if we were in one of the big hotels along the beach. There's no highrise hotels on that one block-long section, so the big crowds were to the right and left of us. Saturday was the most crowded day, and I counted 12 people, including us.

The owner and manager were both wonderful. We were met at the gate as the cab pulled up, shown to our room and greeted with a friendly smile (and sometimes a beer) everytime we saw them. They had Tommy Bahama umbrellas and beach chairs to use for free and a free continental breakfast. Room had a fridge and a microwave. We were in the smallest room they had, but found it to be cozy and comfortable.

On the Friday afternoon we were there, they had a cook-out for all the guests and did hamburgers and hotdogs to order, plus sides, drinks and beer. For FREE! This is FLL, where it costs you $5 for a moldy sandwich out fo the CVS cooler (we know, because we bought one. Yuck!).

I would highly recommend this hotel. Nothing "fancy", but clean, comfortable and friendly, in a great location. And Matt and Ernesto will do everything to make your stay enjoyable.

Thanks for your helpful report! Do you mind saying what rate you paid? We would only be staying 1 night pre-cruise, but hope to arrive early afternoon & have some beach time that afternoon. Considering renting a car since there will be 2 couples & we can just return rental at the airport & take taxi to cruise port. Sounds like a neat little place.

Thanks for your helpful report! Do you mind saying what rate you paid? We would only be staying 1 night pre-cruise, but hope to arrive early afternoon & have some beach time that afternoon. Considering renting a car since there will be 2 couples & we can just return rental at the airport & take taxi to cruise port. Sounds like a neat little place.

We were in their smallest and lowest priced room for $89 per night, a great deal for FLL.

If you go to their website alhambrabeachresort dot com (Ill try it both ways and see if it gets blocked out: http://www.alhambrabeachresort.com/pages/rates_quotes.htm ) they have all the rates listed for the various size rooms, plus pictures of each room http://www.alhambrabeachresort.com/pages/rooms.htm

I copied the rates here, but the formating is a bit goofy. At least it gives you an idea though. :)

Room Type

Summer Season Rates

April 15th thru Nov 30th

Winter Season Rates

Dec 1st thru Apr 14th

Hotel Room

$99

$149

Back Efficiency

$99

$149

Back Hotel Room

$89

$139

Efficiency

$119

$159

Large Efficiency

$129

$169

1 Bedroom Suite

$129

$169

2 Bedroom Apartment

$189

$259

1 Bedroom Executive Apartment

$189

$259

Hope it can work out for you and you enjoy it a much as we did!

• 1 year later...

Archived