Victory Review - May 8-15, 2011 - Long and Lots of Pictures

shwabob

Thanks for clarification--now I can look like a 'know it all :D Where did you get a correct deck map? Mine(Carnival's website) still shows mini golf.

Actually CruiseCritic's Deck Plans section had the updated ones posted. I also think that cruisedeckplans has them as well. You can just save the JPEG image itself and print out the public decks like we did so we'd know where everything was on day one. Then you'll really know it all.

Wonderful review!

Thank you!

I like option 2 for the ports and the extra see day. Freedom is a great ship too.

We like the thought of the extra day, those we're kinda mixed on whether we'd want to go on a ship bigger than the Victory, where we felt really packed in. On the Legend the ship felt empty in many spaces even though it was sailing full and we loved that. We're also trying to convince a bunch of friends to go along with us these next few cruises. The couple that so highly suggested Victory (they did it for their honeymoon in August) really wants to try the Allure next year to see if it's all that.

Great review. Have you ever considered Alaska? That is a wonderful cruise and really beautiful views.

We have Alaska on our bucket list along with Hawaii. Right now we stick to the Caribbean as we usually just want to lay on a beach, unplug, and unwind. Living in FL has its benefits with regard to proximity to ports and Caribbean cruises generally tend to fit right into our annual vacation budget.

When we decide to do Alaska, it will probably be on Princess whenever we get done with school and start getting fatter paychecks. Right now, the only reason we're able to cruise/get away as much as we do is because of my company's bonus structure. I get a big bonus twice a year (Feb + Sept) based upon how much I'm out of the office, how many projects completed, etc etc. The airfare came in under $400 for both of us round trip, so the costs just happened to work out right where I wanted them to be.

How do I get info on Cosol?

Thanks for the great review. Just what I needed to help make decisions.

Lisa

You're very welcome. It was a great trip and I wanted to post up a lot of good pics and info for future cruisers to have an idea of what it was like.

Just google for 'Cosol Tours'...it should be the first thing that comes up. All you do is shoot him an email and he should reply back to you pretty quickly. Let him know when you'll be visiting and how many will be in your party. It's $65 per person and you only pay in cash at the end of the tour. Just remember the email address you used because that's how he identifies you once your at the port. Don't forget to snag some apples from the Lido that morning, apparently they are hard to find on the island and are a welcome treat for Cosol and his family. You'll get quite the hookup just by doing that.

I am sending an email right now. I hope he is not booked!! Is the Jalousie trip you took at the end of the Cosol tour included or is a different pkg?

BTW, what is WCMC???

The beach break/water taxi at the end is part of the package and was great. He shouldn't be booked solid...since Victory is the only ship that calls every Thursday, he's really good about having enough drivers/vans available to meet demand. I've heard nothing but good things about every one of his drivers. You'll enjoy it.

WCMC = Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, a delicious, chocolatey dessert that is served nightly in the Main Dining Room (MDR). If you haven't had it, try it...it's awesome.

Yes there are refrigerators and safes in your staterooms. The refrigerator is an "Honor Bar". But we use it just like the fidge. Just have your cabin steward/ stewardiss open the fidge. It is locked until they unlock it for you. It is usually filled w/ all different sorts of small booze bottles and soda. If you remove / comsume something... you'll pay for it.

We use it for leftovers and medicine.

The safes are located in a small cabinet under your TV/ bar area. They can be opened w/ any credit card. Do not use your cruise card to open / close the safe. Use a credit card that you don't normally use. Here's some photos of our stateroom, # 6327, standard baccony stateroom.

Im positive our room on the victory(1040) didnt have a refrigerator... and our safe was in one of the closets...

Ewww... logic games! Good luck on the LSAT. I just graduated from law school and I sit for the bar exam July 26-27 and then I sail on the Victory on the 31st.

It's not horrible...I seem to grasp the test prep stuff quickly which is good. Fortunately I have several friends in law school and a couple more that are going for the bar this summer. Good luck on the bar exam...I know my friends have pretty much put their social lives on hold in preparation for it this summer.

Thanks for that fantabulous review! Loved it and all the pictures :) And I personally would go for option #2... somehow sitting in one place for a week sounds boring to me... good luck and happy cruising!

Thanks for that fantabulous review! Loved it and all the pictures :) And I personally would go for option #2... somehow sitting in one place for a week sounds boring to me... good luck and happy cruising!

Thanks a lot! We're trying to get people together for our trip next year so we think that's going to determine what ship we go on.

I also just got the CD of our pictures with the turtles in Barbados...they turned out great from what I saw on the screen at CVS (you would have thought we'd have had them developed since Tara works for CVS, but alas we took our sweet time). I'll get the pics off the CD here in the next day or so cause I know people love the turtle pics.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for sharing the review and the pictures! We are going to cruise on the Victory in Nov. We've been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten several times but not to any of the other islands. Seeing your photos and hearing about your excursions has really got me excited about this cruise. Did you book your tour with Cosol before your cruise or at the port? Which dining room was for My time dining? Oh, And I hope Percy Crews will be on the ship when we go in Nov. We really enjoy his shows!!! He's so funny!!!

I was going through this wonderful set of pics and found you are going on my cruise! We are going with two friends. I have booked with Spencer Ambrose Tours but after reading all this, am going to reserve with Cosol. Hopefully there is enough room for us. I also have a aft balcony that wraps around. Can hardly wait. Might get to meet you. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Great review! I was wanting to do this cruise in 2013...my DH dislikes sea days and I thought this port intensive cruise would be a good fit. But, now I'm not so sure...don't think we could handle the chaos of the port in San Juan...didn't really like the port in NY so much and that's probably a cake walk next to San Juan. Plus, we didn't like the crowded feel of the Glory, so wouldn't like that on the Victory either. I am going to go check out the Legend itins...I've been reading a ton of positive reviews on that ship lately.

Just wondering if you posted turtle pics on a different post? thanks

Egads...I totally forgot about that. Things have been crazy for the past few months with work and such, plus Tara and I hit splittsville a few weeks ago so dealing with that hasn't been the greatest...

Thanks for all of the info. We sail on the Victory in Dec. Is the serenity deck away from kids? Please tell me about excursions that are not with the ship and cost less.

Thanks

It never was an issue for me, but I think we were only up there at night time when the kids weren't out by the Kids pool area/Camp Carnival. The Serenity deck is going to be chairhogged up by 7am on your sea day, so unless you're one of those that's on the side of Serenity right by Camp Carnival, it shouldn't be a noticeable issue.

Great review! I was wanting to do this cruise in 2013...my DH dislikes sea days and I thought this port intensive cruise would be a good fit. But, now I'm not so sure...don't think we could handle the chaos of the port in San Juan...didn't really like the port in NY so much and that's probably a cake walk next to San Juan. Plus, we didn't like the crowded feel of the Glory, so wouldn't like that on the Victory either. I am going to go check out the Legend itins...I've been reading a ton of positive reviews on that ship lately.

The whole embark/debark in OSJ is made worse by the fact that it's on Sunday. Everybody is out doing something in San Juan on a Sunday. The airport is a zoo, traffic is horrible, and to top it off you've got the Victory doing embark/debark for 3000+ people and another ship usually pulled in beside her on a port of call. If you do OSJ, you just have to have quite a bit of patience with embark and debark and keep in mind that everyone in OSJ is looking to make a quick few bucks off you in one way or another, Police and Park Rangers at the forts being the only exceptions.

The Victory is a bit smaller than the Glory, and did feel pretty crowded when I sailed. I've also been on the Legend and absolutely loved it, the ship never felt crowded, the ports were excellent, and the crew was awesome. Port of Tampa is really great too. I highly suggest you do the Legend.

Thank you so very much for sharing your trip! We leave on the Carnival Victory in about 30 days. Have already booked with Cosol was was very happy when we read your review.

My husband and I like to shop, but not for expensive items, but more for local handicrafts. Do you have any recommendations of places in different ports?

Woah! Thanks for your extensive review :) I'll be on Victory in about 90 days. Your review has given me plenty of insight to disembarking the ship and what to expect at SJU. I appreciate it! When you guys were walking around OSJ, did you encounter lots of people with carry on luggage?

I'm so sorry to hear about about you and Tara :( *hug* Hope you're staying strong.

I wanted to say i Loved ur gf sunglasses!!*And on that note.... Sorry to hear about your relationship. Stay strong!!

I also loved the Fact u took the bus in Barbados... *sounds like a great plan. *Did I do that for the return to the ship?

Had to lol after reading your bit on stumbling to the ship... Thanks to the blue van... Then crashing for the rest of the night.... *The crashing for the night sounds like something my BF would do. * *I can see it now.* And... Thanks for the great report on your tour... I'm thinking I'll email him n get set up for that tour at that port :) thanks for the apple tip... Now to only remember that...

I "think" the deal with the S&S card n the safe is more of a convience thing rather than it doing something to the S&S card. If ya take an old (empty) gift card n use it then stash it in your cabin someplace... Whom ever ur cabin mates are can get into the safe without the "primary" card there. *

Archived