Your Favorite Restaurant in Honolulu

NAHA

Hello! I am searching for the best restauants in the Honolulu area, DH and I will be spending three days there after our cruise on the Serenade in September. Please recommend breakfast, lunch and dinner if you have a favorite place for any of these meals.

Thanks!

I can't remember the name of the hotel so maybe Spleen or one of the others will give the name. It's across the street from the Princess K. Has an up-scale restaurant in the back overlooking the beach. This is just east of Duke's. My DW and I enjoyed several times going very early for breakfast (Kind of pricy but worth it buffet), eating out on the patio and watching the sun rise over Diamond Head while enjoying a second and third cup of Kona coffee. One of those priceless moments. Having dinner and a Mai Tai while watching the sunset at Duke's ain't too shabby either

Another old post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=87389&highlight=honolulu+restaurant

My recommended restaurants don't change very much. I think for breakfast, I like Eggs & Things, Boots & Kimo (in Kailua), and Big City Diner (in Ward/Kaimuki/Waipio). Lunch - take your pick (too many places) - Kakaako Kitchen in Ward, Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu near Waikiki, the Pineapple Room in Macy's Ala Moana, just to name a few. Then for dinner (upscale) - Alan Wong's Restaurant, Michel's, Chef Mavro, Hoku's/Cabanas, Roy's Restaurant.

Retired not expired - is that in the Hyatt Regency? the Colony? If it is, I've never been to that restaurant yet ...

Spleen

Spleen...I meant to tell you we went out to E&O Trading Company at Ward Center this weekend. It just opened a week ago (maybe 2 now?). We were very pleased there. The food was terrific, atmosphere really relaxing and service superb. It is a smorgasboard of Asian cuisines....not mixed or fused, but side by side. So you can get Naan, Satay, Indonesian dishes, Burmese Salads, lemongrass noodles.....and it is served to share. I wouldnt bring kids there, but it was REALLY nice to get away from the Japanese, Chinese, Steak Houses and Local restaurants around and try something different. FYI

I still like California Beach Rock and Sushi for my sushi or other Japanese foods.

Suebee - I saw them setting up the restaurant 2 wks ago when I went to Borders in Ward to get reading material for the trip. Cool looking interior. Thanks for the suggestion - might need to try it some day. :)

Spleen

Indigo (downtown on Nu'uanu between Hotel & Pauahi) also has one of the two best Happy Hour deals in town. Tues - Fri, 4-7 PM - $2.75 martinis and a great pupu buffet at about 4:30. The buffet is essentially leftovers from the lunch buffet, does not suffer from the serving delay, but unfortunately is history in about 20 minutes.

The other great Happy Hour deal is at Morton's in Ala Moana Center. Theirs is 5-7, martinis are $3, and they serve little steak sandwiches as pupus (and Morton's does know how to do steak).

Hello! I am searching for the best restauants in the Honolulu area, DH and I will be spending three days there after our cruise on the Serenade in September. Please recommend breakfast, lunch and dinner if you have a favorite place for any of these meals.

Thanks!

Our favorite place is the Likelike DriveIn. An easy walk from Ala Moana Shopping Center. Also along the same street is the Panda Restaurant (NOT the chain place, they have great DimSum).

Likelike is to us a great "diner" with all varieties of wonderful food, breakfast, lunch, and dinner at great prices. For instance, rather than have a "local plate", I decided to have roast turkey with all the trimmings, and my wife had the corned beef and cabbage, all on Halloween evening (!)

Thanks for your wonderful pictures...wedding, honeymoon, alaska, New England, Caribbean. I hope when we get to Hawaii we will see a bride as beautiful as yours. (and hansome groom!)

A question: is the Luau at the Royal Hawaiian as nice as Germaines and Paradise? The only place we can take advantage of an evening Luau is Oahu.

Grace

Grace - thank you, flattery will get you everywhere. :)

I've heard good things about the luau at the Royal Hawaiian. Having said that, I've still heard better things about Germaine's. But if the timing works out for you and you like the convenience, I would go for it. Luaus are mostly similar enough that the differences are probably not worth quibbling about.

Spleen

Never been to Germaines, but have been to the Royal Hawaiian. My wife and I both enjoyed it and folks sitting at our table also. The show there is probably smaller than Germaines, only 8 dancers and an MC who also sang as well as a female vocalist. Food was a bit of a disappointment as I was expecting it to be a bit better than some of the other luaus we've gone to, but it was still good. Remember the Royal Hawaiian Luau is only on Monday

Thanks Spleen and Bug Dan for the info. As it stands now, we will be in Oahu on a Monday, so the RH luau will work. Another option that we may have is the Hale Koa luau. Spleen: any info on that luau?

Spleen: is there a site that lists addresses in Oahu? We want to look up some friends, just to call and say hello.

Cheers....Grace

Spleen: is there a site that lists addresses in Oahu? We want to look up some friends, just to call and say hello.

Cheers....Grace

Go to Google and enter the telephone number, including

area code.

http://www.google.com

If all goes well, you will get the street address and

links to such map programs as Yahoo maps.

You can also try:

http://www.switchboard.com

and do a name lookup.

In Google, just enter your own phone number, you may be

surprised about how much information is out

there about you.

Bob Swanson

Thanks Spleen and Bug: Checked out the RH web site, and also the Hale Koa. I think Tom is eligible for the Hale Koa, but will double check their requirements.

Is the Hale Koa near the port? I think I saw it years ago, but can not remember the location.

Cheers....Grace

Thanks Spleen and Bug: Checked out the RH web site, and also the Hale Koa. I think Tom is eligible for the Hale Koa, but will double check their requirements.

Is the Hale Koa near the port? I think I saw it years ago, but can not remember the location.

Cheers....Grace

To be eligible for the Hale Koa, you have to be active duty, reserve, national guard, retired military, or DOD civillian.

I think the Hale Koa is pretty close to the port.

Suebee: I did contact the Hale Koa re going to their Luau. I got an e mail back saying that we would be eligible to attend it, but by the description on the web site, I am not sure now.

My husband was an officer in the Army, for 2 years, and did his reserve duty after that. (he was ROTC). Now, he is affiliated with MOAA (formerly TROA) and was their president last year. I did mention MOAA and the reply I got was that we could use the restaurant (we will not be staying there). Now, I am not sure, and I certainly do not want to do anything wrong! One of the men in MOAA (most are 20 year retired military) said the Hale Koa was a really nice place.

Thanks for your interest....

Grace

The Hale Koa is VERY nice and dinner there will save $$$ over other hotel restaurants. I and my friends have had dinner for 4 with drinks for $60 at KoKos Cafe. There are 3 levels of restaurants there. The luau is nice. The advantage being that youre right there and do not have to travel 45 minutes or more out of the city. Also, the food is cooked on site which makes the food really fresh and well, FAR superior to the other luaus. My friends have all really enjoyed the entertainment at the luau but I wasnt as impressed with them as with Paradise Cove...personal opinion.

If the Hale Koa said its OK, I would go with it. Keep your email. I dont think you'd be doing anything wrong at all. Tix for the luau go on sale 30 days out from the event and usually sell out. I love the Hale Koa.....great Mai Tais by the pool...great food and service in each restaurant. Even if you dont stay there, its a nice place to visit. We do it often!

Archived