Let's talk about the ship gym!

adira

I like to work out, especially because I like to eat. :D

I plan on taking advantage of the gym and spa amenities (the free ones, anyway). I even found some great Champion t-shirts at Target ($9.99 each) that I think I can wash in the sink and use several times throughout the cruise (quick-dry fabric!).

Does anyone have any pics of the gym or spa?

Tips about when to go, or when not to go?

What about lockers? If I go to the gym and want to use the luxurious showers after, can I stash my stuff in a locker or do I need to go back to my room and bring it with me?

Also, any info on classes? Are they worth the extra $$?

I wish I could help you with a Carnival ship, but I simply have no idea about what your gym will look like, specifically. But I can talk with you about a ship's gym... in general terms.

Most of the cruises that I have been on, you would be amazed at how many people are in the gym. I usually cruise Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. It seems that there are people in the gym who actually don't even use a gym at home, so I wonder if they are using the cruise as a sort of inspiration for themselves to start a healthier lifestyle? Anyway, the gym is usually packed, especially on sea days, and the cardio machines are usually always busy. Just like any other gym, there are people who are responsive to a 20-minute request on cardio machines, and there are people who have the "all-about-me" tuned in on their personal radio waves and simply don't think that any courtesy rules apply to them.

Positive notes: there are usually stretch classes that are wonderful, yoga classes and pilates classes usually come with a fee. There are some ships that are doing Zumba classes with a fee. There are usually dance step classes, like salsa, merengue, (waltz was on my last cruise!). And, here's a huge positive if you like to dance... there are dance venues everywhere and you can get up and dance some calories away. More fun and less structured.

Also, there is a lap deck where there is a designated area for walkers and joggers. This is a wonderful thing on a ship, depending upon where you are cruising and the weather conditions of course. There simply is nothing like exercising in the wonderful air on the beautiful ship with the ocean views... nothing like it, at all (imo). This is so much better than stepping onto a cardio machine in the gym.

I don't know what your schedule is like. I know that I always have the notion that I'm going to get up early enough in the morning to beat everyone to the gym or to the lap deck. I never do. Mainly it's because I love the music and I love to go to the dance venues and I usually stay up much later on board the ship than I ever do at home. So, since I can't burn the candle at both ends, my mornings usually suffer from the fact that I'm sleeping in.

I can share with you that I had a significant weight loss drop before my last recent cruise. It was significant not because of the amount but because I finally broke through a very stubborn plateau weight. So I was very concerned about the fabulous food and the inability to continue my more rigorous workout schedule. I was gone for a while: a 13-nite cruise and then another 6-nite cruise, so significant time on board with all those temptations. I gained 2 lbs. I returned 2 days ago and those lbs are gone.

I think that I did a few things that were helpful. I did exactly what you said in another post that you were considering. I only ate food that I thought was fabulous... and I left food on the plate that wasn't as wonderful as it may have looked. I went through the entire buffet and looked at every thing that was being offered before I decided what I wanted to eat. Then I took small portions of what looked good to me. I ate what I got... then waited a while to make sure that I could feel satisfied with the portions. I found a small dessert that I knew I would be satisfied with; in my case, they made these outrageously good fruit tarts that were literally 4 small bites each. One of those, eaten with relish and I was satisfied.

And I danced like no one was watching. I had such a good time!

Enjoy your cruise!

You will love the gyms on the Carnival ships. They have the latest equipment. It gets super crowded before dinner especially the days before the first formal night. After the first formal night, the gym is super empty. I have never attended the classes that require a fee. I take the ones that do not require a fee like the step class.

Thanks, all!

Member123, I have the same plan that you say you have: to get up early. Now, normally I do get up quite early, but I also want to dance like no one is watching, so I'm guessing I will have the same issues you describe! However, I'm used to waking up at 4:45 a.m. so I might wake early anyway and then take naps?

It's good to know that after the first formal night (which seems to be night 2) the gym will empty out. It's funny that it's packed right before dinner. Last minute toning?

Adira, you know... having a blunt, honest conversation...

I think that the reason the gym is crowded, especially at the beginning of a cruise and right before dinner, is that people who don't usually exercise think that all they have to do is exercise to compensate for their increased calorie intake. Those people typically talk about... taking only the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. The gym empties out from those people and only the people who have a lifestyle that incorporates exercise already are the ones who are left.

What I'm trying to say is that people who don't exercise, maybe self-proclaimed couch potatoes, sometimes also don't have a healthy relationship with their eating habits. They have a disconnect with their bodies, and they think that they can compensate for all those extra bites with just a few minutes on a treadmill. They also typically give up that treadmill activity a few days into a cruise.

I have always told my DH that no matter where you go, you take yourself with you. Transferring your body from home to a cruise ship doesn't really alter the essence of who you are. It may make you feel happier, more relaxed, less stressed... I'm not saying that your environment doesn't change you emotionally. I'm saying that the core person that you are remains with you. I think that's why you still see the people having fights, rolling their eyes at their spouse, demanding behavior, rudeness exhibited in lines and elevators...

Anyway...

I wish I could nap! I feel like a kid waiting to go to Disney when I'm on a ship. I could nap OR I could go to the... whatever is on the Daily Planner where there's music, fun, games.... kwim? So, the early morning routine just never makes it for me. But since you're used to getting up so early! You will probably be one of those people who can take the beautiful port arrival pictures! I've never, ever taken one of those! LOL.

Thanks, all!

Member123, I have the same plan that you say you have: to get up early. Now, normally I do get up quite early, but I also want to dance like no one is watching, so I'm guessing I will have the same issues you describe! However, I'm used to waking up at 4:45 a.m. so I might wake early anyway and then take naps?

It's good to know that after the first formal night (which seems to be night 2) the gym will empty out. It's funny that it's packed right before dinner. Last minute toning?

My experience has been that mornings are the worst time. The gym doesn't typically open until 6 or 7 (I can't remember which) due to cabins being right below the gym. It doesn't take long for it to fill up. If y9ou aren't going to be part of the first wave, waiting an extra hour or two can be helpful. Other times of the day seemed to be more sporadic.

I am an early riser even when I am

cruising. I normally get up at 3:30 AM

each work day, but manage to sleep in

until at least 5:00 AM on week-ends and

on vacations. :eek:

When cruising, I prefer to walk laps

early in the morning on the outside track

as opposed to using the Cardio machines in the

Fitness Center; I also take the stairs instead

of the elevator. On Sea Days, I attend free

fitness classes.

I'd love to stay up late and enjoy dancing at

the various venues, but unfortunately my DH

isn't crazy about dancing; and whose going to

ask a middle-aged married person to dance. :confused:

I don't over-indulge at meal times in either the

Windjammer or the Dining Room. I appreciate

the perfect portion sizes served with the various

courses in the Dining Room; I never feel

uncomfortably full after meal times. So far, I

have managed not to gain extra weight while

cruising. :)

Good to know about the busy times. I'm excited about the free fitness classes, and I would like to use the track, but I have hip bursitis, which makes high impact, repetitive motions painful in the long run.

What about the free weights and machines? Are those as crowded as the cardio machines?

I don't work out but my husband does. The gym opens at 6AM and that is when he goes, he said the machines are all available at that time but by 7AM it is already starting to fill up. He said the same thing about how many people work out while on a cruise, he was amazed at how crowded it was later in the day. Reference lockers, all you have to do is request a key at the front desk and they will give you a locker to store your personal items. Take care and have a great cruise.

Archived