Camp Carnival "Night Owl"

Naomi John

Fresh from Heald's Blog:

WHAT IS OFFERED NIGHTLY BY NIGHT OWLS:What are the hours of Operation? 10:00pm-3:00am (every day of the week); What ages can participate? All kids age 6 months to 11 years of age; What is the price? $6.75 per hour plus 15% gratuity per child; What is offered at Night Owls? Options to play video games, watch movies, play with toys, enjoy snacks from room services, pillow and blanket available for the kids to sleep on etc.

Owl Jams: What ages can participate? 2-11 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-12:00am; What is the cost? $13.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included); Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Fun ‘Til One: What ages can participate? 6-8 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-1:00am; What is the cost? $20.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included); Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Fun at Sea… ‘Til 3:00: What ages can participate? 9-11 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-3:00am; What is the cost? $33.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included);Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Have to say I think the new “Night Owl’s” program is a huge disappointment, (actually my first thought was “that sucks”).

First, Carnival is raising the price from $6.00 per hour after 10:00 PM for the first Child, ($4.00 for each additional child), to $6.75 per child, (does not appear to be a discount for additional children). Second, forcing a tip? An extra tip should be earned, not forced. Third, the “Night Owl” party on the Carnival Triumph in January of 2011 was only $26.00, 10 PM – 3 AM, which actually saved a cruiser $4.00. My daughter had a blast in January; she loved the gifts as well. I loved they brought her to our room at the end, which was not indicated in the announcement.

I'm not sure what a "per party" is. It maybe a family cost, (ie: 2+ kids, one price), which would be nice, but I doubt it.

I understand the price increase, but IMHO, I do not see my family participating in this late night program. She'll go to regular camp but no after hours. If it is as explained above, it's not worth it.

progress.gif

That is very confusing. I think that somewhere there will be a further explanation. The special parties may include things done roaming the ship? I know in Jan we ran across a group of 10 10-12 year olds in the dining hall, eating late (1am?) They said they were having a great time. They were well super-vised, and in a roped-off area.

Fresh from Heald's Blog:

WHAT IS OFFERED NIGHTLY BY NIGHT OWLS:What are the hours of Operation? 10:00pm-3:00am (every day of the week); What ages can participate? All kids age 6 months to 11 years of age; What is the price? $6.75 per hour plus 15% gratuity per child; What is offered at Night Owls? Options to play video games, watch movies, play with toys, enjoy snacks from room services, pillow and blanket available for the kids to sleep on etc.

Owl Jams: What ages can participate? 2-11 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-12:00am; What is the cost? $13.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included); Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Fun ‘Til One: What ages can participate? 6-8 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-1:00am; What is the cost? $20.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included); Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Fun at Sea… ‘Til 3:00: What ages can participate? 9-11 Years; What are the hours of operation? 10:00pm-3:00am; What is the cost? $33.00 per party plus 15% gratuity per child (all activities included);Special Prizes/Gifts: These will be given to each child who participates in the party.

Have to say I think the new “Night Owl’s” program is a huge disappointment, (actually my first thought was “that sucks”).

First, Carnival is raising the price from $6.00 per hour after 10:00 PM for the first Child, ($4.00 for each additional child), to $6.75 per child, (does not appear to be a discount for additional children). Second, forcing a tip? An extra tip should be earned, not forced. Third, the “Night Owl” party on the Carnival Triumph in January of 2011 was only $26.00, 10 PM – 3 AM, which actually saved a cruiser $4.00. My daughter had a blast in January; she loved the gifts as well. I loved they brought her to our room at the end, which was not indicated in the announcement.

I'm not sure what a "per party" is. It maybe a family cost, (ie: 2+ kids, one price), which would be nice, but I doubt it.

I understand the price increase, but IMHO, I do not see my family participating in this late night program. She'll go to regular camp but no after hours. If it is as explained above, it's not worth it.

progress.gif

I pay more than that on land. I think the pricing is quite reasonable. I suppose if you plan on using it every single night it could get expensive -- but so do date nights on land ;)

Camp Carnival is free during the day. These late night hours are offered for babysitting, when the parents want a late night out for themselves.

I think I would prefer one of these group activites late night, instead of in-cabin babysitting by a stranger.

It's appears the late night babysitting cost is going up. It starts at 10 PM, used to be $6.00 per child, $4.00 for each additional child. I can understand the normal cost going up $0.75, but forcing a 15% tip??

In January, my DD had a blast. She received a small booksack, a sort of rubiks cube, a journal, and bandana. The counselors returned her to our cabin about 3:15 AM. I tipped at that time.

I don't understand them raising the price on a good thing. We have used the afterhours care once or twice on every cruise, Usually until midnight. I only agreed to the Night Owl in January because it was $4.00 cheeper and they walked them to their cabin at the end. Will not do it again if the prices they stated stay in place.

Of course, those who have never sailed will probably like it, or be not aware of the change.

They used to offer these late night parties for the 9-11 group once or twice a week....

My son BEGGED to do it once and had an awesome time.... BUT>>>> the next day was HELL!!

Being up that late really ruined the next two days for him... he was so tired and his routine was "off" - that it really was not worth it for him or us!

I could never imagine letting my kid participate nightly!

Catrin

On the Fasination alot of the younger kids were asleep by midnight, including my child, at the late night sitting party. It's really late for small kids. We won't do use it again, although we really love Camp Carnival.

I agree...my kids would be asleep long before 3am...we didn't do any of the parties but we did use the after 10pm service one night and were only charged for part of the hour, since we weren't there the whole time. I'm OK with adding a 15% tip to this service since it's about a dollar (for one hour) but adding it to the party fee automatically is a little questionable to me.

Came back a week ago from a cruise on the Pride. The new rates were not in effect. We let our daughter stay till midnight once or twice, and she did the "Party On" party until 3:30am. She is 11 and very mature. She had a blast. The only problem was we had to be up fairly early the next morning.

We were on the Dream a couple of weeks ago and my 11 year old son was at camp carnival every night until at least midnight. I was little upset about the $6.00 an hour since last year we were on Disney and there was no charge at all. He also did the late night party...At first I was against it, but you know what? we are on vacation and he is 11, and would be 12 in a week and 2 days. He had a blast. It was well worth the $26.00. The counselers dropped him off at about 325am. My husband and I were asleep, but I had to acknowledge they dropped him off. We too had to get up early the next day for the ship tour, but he was fine...alittle tired but ok.

It's appears the late night babysitting cost is going up. It starts at 10 PM, used to be $6.00 per child, $4.00 for each additional child. I can understand the normal cost going up $0.75, but forcing a 15% tip??

In January, my DD had a blast. She received a small booksack, a sort of rubiks cube, a journal, and bandana. The counselors returned her to our cabin about 3:15 AM. I tipped at that time.

I don't understand them raising the price on a good thing. We have used the afterhours care once or twice on every cruise, Usually until midnight. I only agreed to the Night Owl in January because it was $4.00 cheeper and they walked them to their cabin at the end. Will not do it again if the prices they stated stay in place.

Of course, those who have never sailed will probably like it, or be not aware of the change.

I wonder if CCL cut the salary for the camp counselors and is making it up by forcing the guest (parents) to cover the pay cut by way of the 15% gratuity.

Also, it has been suggested recently that CCL (Gerry Cahill) is tailoring the product to newbies who have no idea what came before (thus alienating us long time-frequent cruisers).

I do have a question. If my child falls into the middle group, does this mean he will have to be picked up at 1 am? For most nights 1 am is fine but sometimes we stay out a little later.

I am not concerned about the price increase or the late hours. This is vacation and my son loves camp so much. We also love the fact that we can have some adult time while he enjoys his time too.

my 10 yr old (almost 11) will do the party one night. He has promised he will not have an issue the next day, but I hope they do it the last night of the trip so all he has to do that day is have a nap.

I don't think $38 (incl tip) is too much for 5 hours which includes food, prizes & activities. I pay $8-10 an hour for a sitter at home.

May be more than many are used to paying, but it is not an unreasonable price - I bet most parents have paid more for activities their kids haven't enjoyed as much.

• 4 years later...