Dumb Question #128 Chair Hog?

Clydesmom7865

On our Princess cruise that ended Saturday, the Princess Patter for the first day said towels left unattended for 30 minutes would be removed. It did not say what would be done with any personal items.

"30 minutes" isn't a rule set in stone, at least not on most cruise lines. But certainly the general consensus is between 20 & 40 minutes.

Leaving it unoccupied for a total of an hour or so during the day I wouldn't regard as unreasonable, but by doing so for that amount of time in one hit Ducklite is in danger of being branded a hog.

I was expecting fireworks between johneeo & Ducklite, but sadly folk on this thread are way too polite & laid-back :)

Sad too, that no cruiseline has taken up the suggestion that I put forward some time ago for totally eradicating the problem. Possibly because its too expensive to attach a timer and giant catapult to each chair. ;)

JB :)

This catapult and timer idea has merit. :D However some of the "beefier" guests might object when it is activated. Due to the relative expense I would also expect resistance when higher deposits and higher fares are needed to cover the expense of initial installation.

Whether at a resort or on a cruise ship..or even in any area where you have lots of people, you can run into rude people. The majority here have been on numerous cruises and have had more opportunity to meet those who play nice and those who play dirty. Please don't mistake the dark humor or rudeness of a few for the overall attitude you will experience on a cruise. In July, we will be leaving on our 10th cruise on RCCL. We've had our foot run over by a walker on a ship, but that happened in a mall too. We rarely see anyone who is rude, but we aren't looking for them. We've seen the chair hogs, but it's never interferred with our time by the pool. We've seen it handled by the passenger and seen it handled by the pool attendants. In my opinion, I'm not going to confront a passenger and I wouldn't even go to the pool attendant for a chair unoccupied for 30 minutes or even an hour. We are a big party and we usually grab only a couple of chairs by the pool, and a couple up under the shade. We have a few people who stay in the pool, a few who lounge in the sun and a few who lounge in the shade so we just "rotate" who is where. We would never think of trying to save 8 chairs. You'll have a wonderful vacation. Occasionally you'll see a line, but it's not the kind of line you encounter at a water park or at Disney World or Universal. You'll wait to board the ship, just like you wait at an airport, only the lines are shorter and the wait is less......and at the end of the line is the ship and the fun begins. Enjoy yourself, ask your questions and just ignore the rude ones.

The chair should not be unoccupied for more than 30 minutes. Go swimming for 20 minutes, get back to your chair and sit in it for a couple of minutes.

Go to the bar for 15/20 minutes, get back to your chair.

I am going to respectfully disagree with Johnneo. I think 30 minutes is a bit ridiculous. And I think it's ridiculous to have to swim for a 1/2 hour, get out and sit, go in the hot tub for 20 minutes, get out and sit, go get lunch for a 1/2 hour, come back and sit, etc etc, ad nauseum. I think the limit should be 1 hour - as long as you are actively using the pool area (swimming, hot tub, bar, etc). (I'm not trying to argue, i'm not interested in drama. Just stating my opinion...)

However, I certainly don't condone sitting your stuff down on a chair and coming back 2-4 hours later either.

And Clydesmom, my advice to you is do when chucking stuff overboard is execute the 'chuck and run' strategy. Throw it overboard, take the chair then run like hell to another part of the boat! ;)

I am going to respectfully disagree with Johnneo. I think 30 minutes is a bit ridiculous. And I think it's ridiculous to have to swim for a 1/2 hour, get out and sit, go in the hot tub for 20 minutes, get out and sit, go get lunch for a 1/2 hour, come back and sit, etc etc, ad nauseum. I think the limit should be 1 hour - as long as you are actively using the pool area (swimming, hot tub, bar, etc). (I'm not trying to argue, i'm not interested in drama. Just stating my opinion...)

However, I certainly don't condone sitting your stuff down on a chair and coming back 2-4 hours later either.

And Clydesmom, my advice to you is do when chucking stuff overboard is execute the 'chuck and run' strategy. Throw it overboard, take the chair then run like hell to another part of the boat! ;)

OK. We disagree.

I believe the chairs should be used. If you are not going to use a chair for an hour, it should be given up so someone else could use it.

This thread is hilarious. My Mom was just saying the other day how she follows the thirty minute rule on her cruises and snatches chairs when that time period is up. LOL.

I think the rule makes sense, gotta let everyone have access to pool chairs. Not just the people on other parts of the ship saving it for if and when they decide to pop over for a swim or to tan.

......... I think it's ridiculous to have to swim for a 1/2 hour, get out and sit, go in the hot tub for 20 minutes, get out and sit, go get lunch for a 1/2 hour, come back and sit, etc etc, ad nauseum. I think the limit should be 1 hour - as long as you are actively using the pool area

Is there something wrong with my arithmetic?

Or by declining to return to the chair between swim, hot-tub & lunch, haven't you exceeded your own suggested limit? :D

Can I watch as you chuck your own stuff over the side? :cool:

JB ;)

I think that some sort of limit has to be imposed (and enforced), however, I do think that 30 mins isn't sufficient. I'd vote for the full hour! :p

Isn't sufficient for what?

The chairs are there to sit in. If you are not going to sit in it for an hour, why would you deprive others from using it?

If you are not using a chair for an hour, let someone else.

I'm planning my first cruise as well. While I do enjoy using the pool, and the area around the pool, I am not a sit by the pool person. Is there somewhere besides deck chairs to put things like a towel or a t-shirt? Some sort of rail that I could hang it over? I'd much rather do that than tie up a chair since it sounds like they're in such high demand.

I'm planning my first cruise as well. While I do enjoy using the pool, and the area around the pool, I am not a sit by the pool person. Is there somewhere besides deck chairs to put things like a towel or a t-shirt? Some sort of rail that I could hang it over? I'd much rather do that than tie up a chair since it sounds like they're in such high demand.

My routine is go to pool. Remove shirt and shoes, place with towel in some corner. Leave them there. Or, if someone I know is there, I put my stuff under their chair.

I then go sit at the pool edge, go in the pool, order a beer, drink beer, repeat often.

Archived