Thomson Dream - 4 berth cabins and Kidzone Question

Hi all, as a daily reader of this forum, may I say that the info given on here is fab and really useful, but I have never seen any info regarding family cabins. We have a four berth outside plus booked on the Dream and need to know if the beds will be pullman berths above our heads like previous cruises (not ideal, but liveable) or will the sofa in the picture convert to a bed with one above? (If this is the bed configuration, I will be thrilled!) Also, is there a kids club meeting on the first evening or do we just trot along to the room and sign forms? Any info will be appreciated, we are at that point when we are all, including the 11 and 6 year old, counting down in days!! :)

Thanks

Im sorry i cant help with the 4 berth question, although i have a feeling there are pictures on the Thomson website Ive seen so will have a look for you.

Kids club - there will be a welcome letter addressed to the kids in your cabin when you arrive - which will explain when the first sign up session is and what happens - its usually after the emergency drill on the sea day - you go along then and fill in the required forms.

There are 3 age groups - 3-5 are 'tots', 6-8 are 'team' and 9-12 are 'tribe' - tots and team groups usually have sessions together, while tribe have their own. Tribe age can go down to the tots and team sessions if there are not too many kids but the younger ones cant go up to the tribe sessions - so be prepared for your kids to attend different sessions (at different times - they dont run concurrently) if there are lots of children on board. Some sessions are 'all ages' such as breakfast club. There are usually 5 sessions per day - one all ages, 2 tots and team and 2 tribe - so my 11 yr old could attend 3 sessions if we were not out on all day trips. You will find kids club at the back of deck 8 through the waters edge disco - looks like you are going into a 'staff only' door!! but once inside its a large airy and light room.

Tom and Sophie are brilliant with the kids, we have had them on both Destiny and Dream - Tom is senior kids host on Dream currently.

aha - thought id seen a photo - this is a 5/6 outside plus but they are the same as the 7/9 ones I am reliably informed - and yes there is a fold down bunk over the sofa bed rather than over the 'adults' beds! http://media.thomson.co.uk/asset/lpp/v00/923/974.jpg

you can see all the photos here http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/thomson-dream-photos.html

Hi Clare, you are a star!! I have trawled through Costa Europa and googling all sorts but had not noticed this photo! Doh! You know what it's like preparing for a family cruise, you try to eliminate as much pre-holiday worrys so as to enjoy the rounds of have I packed enough underwear for everyone! Any other tips for us?

Thanks,

Suzy

Hi Suzy

I'm going on that cruise ! Losing my cruise virginity at last lol ! Will be with my three between 7 mos and 15 - middle one is 11 too ....

Do you know if there's any form of baby care at all ?

Hi Helen, my understanding is that there isn't any childcare for the under 3's. There certainly wasn't when we took our eldest who is now 11 on the Topaz aged 18 months. Although we got round it by feeding him loads and then he slept for hours! Have to say even now we comment on how much fuss was made of him by the staff and from reading other people's posts it appears that hasn't changed! Some of the staff leave very young children at home to come away and work, and naturally miss their children so they enjoy yours.

You are so lucky counting down to your first cruise, there is nothing like it!! The first sail away, the first morning waking up and realising that the world is moving past you and all you have to do is get up, dressed and find somewhere to eat and chill for the rest of the day! We discovered cruising just before our son was born, (9 ish months to be exact,) and couldn't wait to try with children. It didn't disappoint, from a mum's point of view you don't have to worry about what to cook for any meal, children get more fresh air than normal as pool etc, and you get to see some wonderful places!

Which type of cabin did you book?

Suzy

you are both going to LOVE Dream - my 11 yr old thought it was his fave cruise yet - mind you he has said that after all of them LOL - for the 15 yr old theres a pretty good teen extreme group on dream with one of the ents staff organising meets and activities so they can get to know each other a bit. Theres a little gaming room at the back of deck 8 just beside the disco called the golden apple? club I think - the teens tended to meet in there which meant they had their own 'space' away from the adults and the little kids. There are also 2 fusball tables on the main pool deck, and 2 hot tubs.

No child care for under 3's but as has been said - babies and children are welcome everywhere at all times and are very much fussed over.

We had a 3 berth outside plus on deck 7 - best cabin I've ever been in, it was enormous! we are back on destiny in august and our basic 3 berth outside deck 3 is going to feel like a cupboard compared to the one on Dream!

tips? erm - the sirens buffet restaurant is less busy at both breakfast and lunch time that the lido buffet - and theres all the same food. Pizza, hotdogs and burgers can be found on the decks beside both pools at the grill stations for lunch, as well as an omelette station, and in the morning they are pancake stations! The main pool deck is reached via stairway A, or through the sirens restaurant via stairway C - Orion restaurant is reached from both stairway A and B - when leaving the Broadway lounge after the captains reception, go to stairway B rather than A (which is nearest) as the queue is much shorter to be seated at the other doors and when you have hungry children this is quite important hehe! - most folks will just pile down the nearest staircase and not think to go to the other stairs. There is a really good childrens menu in the orion but you have to ask for it they dont just give it to you.

bar service was quickest in the Medusa lounge at your seat or the oceans bar at the bar. The best cocktails (especially the mojitos) are from the medusa lounge bar :D

get into the Broadway show lounge as quick as you can as it fills up at least 30 mins before show time - the best view is from the centre of the upper tier, or the middle horseshoe seat downstairs!

if i think of anything else - I will return!

Archived