JADE - electric question (not already covered..I looked)

I searched the forum and couldn't see if this one had been answered already. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

We are in an aft balcony cabin on the Jade next week and I often find the reading lamps near the bed difficult to read by. Would I be able to bring a larger, say 100 watt US bulb with me to use?

I've seen posts where the Jade was originally built to sail in US waters in Hawaii, but other posts suggest that some of the wiring is 220. I've brought US light bulbs with me before and in one case, suceeded in blowing out the whole cabin's electrics with my US bulb. Obviously, I do not want to do this again. It was a UK cruise line, but with US plugs in the room. Other ships have been no problem.

It seems to be hit and miss if they will work, and I do bring the bulb with me all the same, as most ships either don't have the higher wattage bulbs or don't want to give them out. I have an eye condition that makes it difficult for me to read unless there is very bright light, so this is not me just being frivolus.

Thanks for any ideas or help you can pass on.

I am pretty sure the DEFAULT current does not match US standards. You might be able to bring your own reading lamp with an extension cord, as there is at least one outlet that matches US standards.

Regardless to what the ship wiring is or isn't. A basic incandescent (normal light bulb) indoor light fixture is rated for usually at most 60 watt light bulbs. A larger wattage bulb gives off more heat. If the fixture was not designed to wishstand that heat, it starts melting plastic and pyrolyzing combustibles so they'll burn, therefore starting a fire.

If you have an eye condition have you checked into specialty lights like an Ott light, halogen lamps, Verilux Natural Spectrum lamps. They come in all makes and sizes and some portable. I would think this would be much more beneficial to you, easier on your eyes and safer for you and the rest of the 2000 passengers aboard.

Thank you for all of your responses. Yes, I have looked into flying with light bulbs and this is not an issue according to the TSA and the BAA. Yes, I have looked into specialty lighting, and have this at home, but unfortunately, it is not practical to bring with me. Yes, I understand all about rating systems, but it's not as if I am going to fall asleep while reading and set the whole ship on fire. A bit melodramatic, don't you think? In any case, thank you for trying to help. I've talked directly with NCL since and we've gotten it all taken care of.

Yes, I have looked into specialty lighting, and have this at home, but unfortunately, it is not practical to bring with me. Yes, I understand all about rating systems, but it's not as if I am going to fall asleep while reading and set the whole ship on fire. A bit melodramatic, don't you think? In any case, thank you for trying to help.

Nope, not at all, just practical and realistic.

Archived