Hol Chan Marine Reserve

rendal

Does anyone know if there is a way to snorkel at at Hol Chan Marine Reserve? We are going in just two weeks, and this place looks like fun.

After reading threads it appears the only snorkel option is to go with ocean breeze and it sounds like they don't go there.

I have been there three times before. The best way to get there is to book thru a ships excursion. On NCL, the excursion is called Shark Ray Alley. The tour costs $109 and includes two snorkeling stops, one on the reef and the other is 5 foot water where you swim with the rays and nurse sharks. After the snorkeling you are taken for lunch and a couple of hours to walk around San Pedro. It is a long day as the trip lasts 7 1/2 hours mainly due to the distancer to get the the reserve and back to the ship.

Some people have booked similar excursions thru coralbreezes.

The weather can be wet, as shown in the osme picts below. Sometimes the boat is open top, last year it was half covered with the people at the back exposed to the elements.

Below are some pictures

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_1322.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_1991.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_1991.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_2006.jpg

Hol Chan is usually combined with snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley. Check how long your ship is anchored, then see what tours are offered - if a ship sponsored tour (some lines have it, most don't anymore, sigh), there's no worry. If independent, like Coral Breezes, then see if you can get back in time - include tender to the ship, and note when the last tender is scheduled.

If you have plenty of time, another option is to take a water taxi (fly if you can afford it, great views, only 10-12 mins) to Ambergris Cay and have prior arrangements with a hotel/dive company to take you the short distance to the reef......

Thank you both very much. I read last night that Hol Chan was on of the top ten places to snorkel in the world, and I would love to see it. Its not mentioned on the boards much so I appreciate the replies!

Thank you both very much. I read last night that Hol Chan was on of the top ten places to snorkel in the world, and I would love to see it. Its not mentioned on the boards much so I appreciate the replies!

Someone told me that this is also in the list called "Top 1000 places to see before you die".

This part of the world is very beautiful, a place where one dreams of retiring to. If you take the shark Ray Alley excursion thru NCL, then you will spend a couple of hours on Ambergris Caye in the town called San Pedro. This is a really sleep and laid back place where the mode of transportation is golf cart. Have been there 3 times before and wish that I could live there.

Enjoy your trip.

Someone told me that this is also in the list called "Top 1000 places to see before you die".

This part of the world is very beautiful, a place where one dreams of retiring to. If you take the shark Ray Alley excursion thru NCL, then you will spend a couple of hours on Ambergris Caye in the town called San Pedro. This is a really sleep and laid back place where the mode of transportation is golf cart. Have been there 3 times before and wish that I could live there.

Enjoy your trip.

Three times then I moved there:D:D.

You make us all jealous. Wish I could pack my IT job in, leave the USA and start a simple life somewhere else.

I left the airlines and went into the airlines here...

We cruise in 5 days....Need to get away from the hustle and bustle ;)

Look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & see what they offer.

We do the snorkel tour with them two times a year & always have a super time.

Our favorite lunch is the included one on Caye Caulker - the stewed chicken with rice & beans - GREAT !

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

Look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours & see what they offer.

We do the snorkel tour with them two times a year & always have a super time.

Our favorite lunch is the included one on Caye Caulker - the stewed chicken with rice & beans - GREAT !

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

Thanks. I have looked at them but am scared about booking an independent due to the chance of missing the boat. Someone had posted that CoralBreezes didn't let them book the shark Ray Alley due the time of the NCL Spirit arrival. Due to tendering, it takes more time to get off the ship when not booking thru the ship. This sounds like it might cause an issue with CoralBreezes as you might not make it to the terminal in time.

What ship were you on when you booked thru them?

We were always on Carnival & never did have any problem with Coral Breeze returning us to the tender area with plenty of time to spare. These guys make their living by getting you back on time.

it well might be one of your snorkeling days ever. It has been for us !

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

We were always on Carnival & never did have any problem with Coral Breeze returning us to the tender area with plenty of time to spare. These guys make their living by getting you back on time.

it well might be one of your snorkeling days ever. It has been for us !

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the ship excursion for Shark Ray is no longer available on my cruise as it no longer shows up on the NCL website. I might consider trying CoralBreezes. My cruise is in Oct and I have noticed that they don't let you reserve past Sept. It looks like they it is too far out, will check their website next month to see if they are taking reservations for Oct.

I was planning on this excursion thru NCL at the end of August, but it just disappeared. I called to ask about it and they said they were discontinuing it at the end of June.

WOW what a bummer! I was so looking forward to it as well. Like many others that are posting, I am afraid to book with an independent, simply for the tendering issues. I will looking into the Coral Breeze excursions. Has anyone ever booked with Coral Breeze, while sailing on the NCL Spirit?

I was planning on this excursion thru NCL at the end of August, but it just disappeared. I called to ask about it and they said they were discontinuing it at the end of June.

WOW what a bummer! I was so looking forward to it as well. Like many others that are posting, I am afraid to book with an independent, simply for the tendering issues. I will looking into the Coral Breeze excursions. Has anyone ever booked with Coral Breeze, while sailing on the NCL Spirit?

That sucks. I was going to give them a call also. Wonder if they have had any issues with this excursion? Have done the ship excursion three times thru NCL and have enjoyed it each time. Will check out coral Breezes as soon as they let me reserve for Oct.

The tendering issue in Belize also worries me about going independent. Hate to go to Belize and not be able to have any good snorkeling. Not into cave tubing or zip lining which appears to be very popular at these ports. To me it looks safer to be in the water snorkeling, only worries will be "JAWS".

Archived