Foreign Currency

I am going on a cruise to NZ in October and reside in Australia. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to cost effectively obtain foreign currency for purchases on shore?

You will not get the rates advertised at the foregn currency exchange sites as Aus Post , Travelex and banks need to make a little profit. Aus post charges no fees but you need to buy a miniumum of $A200 worth of foreign currency. I would buy when you get the best rate. Is that the information you were after?

You can also carry a foreign exchange calculator (I believe Dick Smiths have them)when making purchases in NZ, to compare with Aus $'s and prices.

We bought $500 in NZ at a fair rate before we left and used it on shore throughout the 14 day NZ Cruise for meals, transport, wine, petrol etc and had some left over, which we used for tips at the end of the cruise. We only used our cards (debit or credit) when we were buying goods or paying for services to avoid additional fees for cash advances in foreign currency. Check with your bank to see what fees they charge for cash from your savings account at a hole in the wall teller and for purchases overseas in foreign currency. It varies from bank to bank. It may be better to get a larger amount than smaller amlounts more frequently depending on how the charges are set.

Thanks to you both for your advice, I will certainly contact the bank and the post office to see the best scenario. I just wanted some cash for convenience on shore for a meal or paying for entry to an attraction or souvenir gift shopping etc. I suppose the sky is the limit, but yes I was wondering what an appropriate sum would be for the duration of the cruise.

You can pay with credit card at a lot of places (if you're happy to), so you then only need cash for smaller incidentals.

If you want cash for everything it would depend how big your planned souvenir and activity budget is.

Archived