Celebrity excursion -- San Gimignano/Volterra

AEGBRG

Hi everyone.

Has anyone done the Tuscan Countryside -- San Gimignano/Volterra tour? We have been to Florence a couple of times and are looking to possibly see Tuscany. Any reviews on this tour? It sounds really great.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone.

Has anyone done the Tuscan Countryside -- San Gimignano/Volterra tour? We have been to Florence a couple of times and are looking to possibly see Tuscany. Any reviews on this tour? It sounds really great.

Thanks in advance.

Please please please think about doing a private tour of these areas. They are SOOO gorgeous and deserve better than a tour bus. If you join up with a few on your Roll Call, you'll find the price very competitive. I just put together a similar tour with 5 of us from my Roll Call and it's just the 5 of us all day... doing what we want and seeing what we want. It really is so much better.

I have spent a lot of time in that part of Italy and definitely second Hylasgirl's suggestion. You will have a much better experience AND spend less money if you get a group together from your roll call. You can also rent a car in Livorno and make the drive on your own--so scenic and incredibly beautiful.

I agree with the other posters. If you can get a group together, San G is absolutely fantastic.

We were on the Grand Princess and did a tour to a Castle winery, and San G on a big bus with 40 other people. While it was nice, we were kind of rushed with only about 1.5 hrs there. Then on to Catle Olivetto for wine tasting. The tour was wonderful, but if you are on your own, you can decide how long to stay.

Absolutely beautiful countryside.

I visited both hill towns on a land vacation a number of years ago. Both are delightful. i liked Volterra the best. It has a cool Etruscan museum and the town is noted for its alabaster. We wandered down some side street and came upon a artist studio. the owner made a alabaster covered dish while we waited. It is one of my most treasured items from Tuscany.The road from San Gimi to Volterra is has fantastic views of the Tuscan countryside.

My most favorite Italian white wine is Vernaccia. Its grapes are only grown on the hills outside of San Gimi...Whether you take a ship tour or a private tour is up to you. But It will be a great day. Enjoy your cruise.

We have done this tour 3 times in the last 8 years. It's probably the best tour we have taken. You have lunch in a vineyard and get to sample some fantastic wines with some good food. San Gimignano/Volterra are beautiful and you get a guided tour of Volterra. In San Gimignano, you get lots of free time to explore on your own. If you need any more info, just ask.

Andy

Yes, a private tour would enable you to do these towns plus Siena and and Montepulciano. But whatever you do, San Gimingnano is AMAZING and you will LOVE IT! Be sure to stop at the winner of the "Best Gelato" and have some!

What is this gelato place called? It sounds amazing.

Thanks

Apparently, the tour is not available with Celebrity during our itinerary. Does anyone have any private tour company recommendations that they have used? We are thinking about possibly using Bob's limousine tours since we have used there transports in Rome, and it worked out well. They are kind of expensive though -- 625 euros for 5 people.

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance.

We did this about a month ago, it was wonderful ,very non touristy and our guide Fabrizio is fabulous. His company is allarounditaly.com and I can't say enough wonderful things about him. On our way back to the ship there was a van off to the side of the road with a flat tire and a driver who clearly did not know how to change the tire or where the tools even were to change the tire. Fabrizio shot out of our van and within a few minutes had changed the tire and everyone was on there way. The people in the other van were from our ship and were very happy at the outcome.

• 8 months later...

Hey,

I wanting to ask about the walking- my close friend is coming and she has back issues. She can walk and all but not real long distances and has trouble with long periods of standing- would this tour be ok for her?

Is there benches to sit on in Florence or anywhere in the Livorno area if she got tired (speaking of any of the tours)

Archived