All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Hello Everyone, glad I found this thread!! My family and I are new to cruising and decided to cruise on the EOS April of 2014. I can not tell you how excited we are but very ancy waiting for the bookings to become available on her. I believe I read someone on another thread thought next week they will be posted. Any one know if that is accurate?? My oldest child saw an add for Disney cruise and she became excited. We still want to make RCCL our first family cruise as we are also waiting till our youngest is 3 and can enjoy the activities. I look forward to talking with all of you!!

Hi Carol!

Hi Dawn! How are you and your family? I'm also sailing from Fla next fall - haven't done that for many years. I'm also on the EX again in Sep and Feb - they had some senior solo offers I couldn't resist.

I was on EOS last year and my youngest (then 4) loved the Kid's Program, Adventure Ocean. I was very happy with this as my DW and I did not know how she would acclimate.

The challenge was, because she loved it so much all she wanted to do was go to camp :) So during dinner she was constantly ask when she could go.

We are doing the EOS again this year on July 19th. I read somewhere and can not recal about a specific dining arrangement where one of the counselors will come to the dining room and pick up your child so we (adults) can enjoy dinner.

Does anyone know what this program is called, and how I can arrange it?

Thanks

I was on EOS last year and my youngest (then 4) loved the Kid's Program, Adventure Ocean. I was very happy with this as my DW and I did not know how she would acclimate.

The challenge was, because she loved it so much all she wanted to do was go to camp :) So during dinner she was constantly ask when she could go.

We are doing the EOS again this year on July 19th. I read somewhere and can not recal about a specific dining arrangement where one of the counselors will come to the dining room and pick up your child so we (adults) can enjoy dinner.

Does anyone know what this program is called, and how I can arrange it?

Thanks

Hi, We are on the same sailing and we did the explorer last year too. The program you are talking about is Family Time dining and you can only use it if you have early seating. what happens is you sign up during the day at AO and a counselor will meet you at the main entrance about 45 minutes into dinner. This starts on the second night. We tried this last year but felt rushed getting our daughter through her dinner (they bring the kids meals frist so you can get them to camp). My husband just ran her up when she was done eating and by the time he returned, dinner was served.

Cabin Question, I hope to be sailing on the EOS April 2014 with my husband and 2 small children who will be 6 and 3 at the time of the cruise. With Booking right around the cornor for EOS, I am wondering if taking a Grand Suite would be better for the four of us instead of a Junior Suite. This will be our first cruise and have no Idea if these rooms will be too small. My husband is a tall guy. Will the Grand suite be too much for the kids?? Also I understand you get reserved pool area. Are the Kids allowed over there?? Thanks to all in advance! Man, I am so nervous. I mean I am a virgin at this ;) LOL

We always get a GS on Explorer I would go that way, has a curtain you can close for a little privacy (not much, but a little). Plenty of room for you and the kids.;) Plus love the extra space on the balcony and they do have a bath tub, which in my opion, is easier with children.

We always get a GS on Explorer I would go that way, has a curtain you can close for a little privacy (not much, but a little). Plenty of room for you and the kids.;) Plus love the extra space on the balcony and they do have a bath tub, which in my opion, is easier with children.

Childen are permitted in the suites-only area on the pool deck.

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy way to get to the port from penn station-- im coming from Long island and figured the Long island Rail road would be the best way to get to the city but now i need to get from city to cape liberty. Thanks!!

We are taking a taxi from Newark to Cape Liberty. When I checked there was not a bus route. We are staying in Newark, so we will use the train or Path to go from Newark Penn Station to Manhatten pre/post cruise

Where is the suites-only area on the pool deck? What amenities are available?

There are a handful of lounge chairs at the front of the pool deck which are roped off for suite guests. It is on the main pool deck--it is just reserved for suite guests. I don't believe there are any extra amenities in there--with the exception of reserved chairs (which is nice). It is, however, right next to the bar! :)

We are taking a taxi from Newark to Cape Liberty. When I checked there was not a bus route. We are staying in Newark, so we will use the train or Path to go from Newark Penn Station to Manhatten pre/post cruise

New Jersey Tranist has a station that is very close to the port, but you will still have to call a taxi service to get you from the train station to the port.

MARAPRINCE

We bought a case in a duffle bag along with soda in 2011. No problems - checked it with our luggage.

Thank you. I called RC yesterday to add a request for table seating and asked the rep. She said they sell water packages?? Couldn't find it anywhere and was confused sine I had read water ok?? Anyone know of this?

Thank you. I called RC yesterday to add a request for table seating and asked the rep. She said they sell water packages?? Couldn't find it anywhere and was confused sine I had read water ok?? Anyone know of this?

They offer their own water packages, but it is not unlimited like the soda but rather a certain number of bottles delivered to your stateroom at a very high price per bottle ($3-$4 per bottle as I recall). Many people bring along a case of bottled water and check it with their luggage. Some tape it up and slap a luggage tag on it. When I went we threw it in a duffel bag with a luggage tag and it made it to our stateroom just fine. Even if they confiscate it, your only out ~$5.

Greg

They offer their own water packages, but it is not unlimited like the soda but rather a certain number of bottles delivered to your stateroom at a very high price per bottle ($3-$4 per bottle as I recall). Many people bring along a case of bottled water and check it with their luggage. Some tape it up and slap a luggage tag on it. When I went we threw it in a duffel bag with a luggage tag and it made it to our stateroom just fine. Even if they confiscate it, your only out ~$5.

Greg

Thanks. Yes we have always brought our own water and on Princess just taped a luggage tag with shipping tape and no problem. On our RC cruise in 2006 the same. But then I had that RC booking agent say that you can't floored me. I guess first no wine now no water! We will pack a few in a duffle bag as well. Thanks!

Thanks. Yes we have always brought our own water and on Princess just taped a luggage tag with shipping tape and no problem. On our RC cruise in 2006 the same. But then I had that RC booking agent say that you can't floored me. I guess first no wine now no water! We will pack a few in a duffle bag as well. Thanks!

The RCI policy (and in the contract) has always been "no beverages, either alcohol or non-alcohol are permitted to be brought on board".

The other policy is that RCI does not consistently enforce any policies.

BTW, there is an incredible amount of free exceptionally good water available on the ship.

Edited by johneeo

Oh, you can stuff more than a few...we brought an entire 30-pack of water and probably had 24 cans of Diet Mountain Dew.

Greg

Here's a suggestion. We will be on the Explorer next month and have purchased Brita Water bottles. They have a filter in them. All you do is use water from anywhere on the ship, even in your cabin. You can refill this about 120 times before you need to replace the filter. We have used these bottles already - can save quite a few bucks.

Fred

Here's a suggestion. We will be on the Explorer next month and have purchased Brita Water bottles. They have a filter in them. All you do is use water from anywhere on the ship, even in your cabin. You can refill this about 120 times before you need to replace the filter. We have used these bottles already - can save quite a few bucks.

Fred

Thanks for the tip.

Water onboard is filtered and treated to the point of being more pure than most municipal water. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about bringing waater aboard or the Brita system. We do however, bring insulated glasses/mugs for our cold and hot beverages as it is more convient and larger capacity than the glasses/cups on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.