All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I posted this question on another thread, but it may be more appropriate here. I'm only familiar with Radiance class, but we are wanting to book an Explorer cruise for March 2014. When I look at the deck plans to figure out where all the junior suites are, it has a toggle to go back and forth between now deck plans, and 2014 deck plans.

Are they reconfiguring the rooms? Is there a dry dock coming? I tried to view the 2014 deck plans, but the plans would not come up when I clicked on them.

Just wondering before I decide to book. Thanks in advance for any info.

Thank you. I wouldn't really mind doing it as hubby really enjoys good coffee, but if they have a Starbucks he'll be ok. I don't drink coffee but every once in a while.

RCCL does not provide coffee maker in the cabin and policy prohibit use of heating elements (except hair curlers) or even bringing one's own coffee maker/pot abroad, as stated in their written guide - as I read them.

It's possible to get hot water in the cafe/buffet but temperature is most likely under 190 degree F (probably 180 or lower) to minimize risks for accidental burns - it's fine for most tea bags but for us, boiling water at 212 degree is best for drip coffee (that's the way we do it at home with our French-Vietnamese old fashion coffee grinds.)

RCCL does not provide coffee maker in the cabin and policy prohibit use of heating elements (except hair curlers) or even bringing one's own coffee maker/pot abroad, as stated in their written guide - as I read them.

We've always had coffee makers in our cabins when booked in a JS or above.

Last Feb. on Explorer & Enchantment B2B the coffee was the worst we've had on any cruise. Only decent coffee on the Explorer was in the Promenade Cafe (there was no Starbucks) and on Enchantment we only got coffee at the newly installed Starbucks as everywhere else it was cold and bitter.

We've always had coffee makers in our cabins when booked in a JS or above.

Last Feb. on Explorer & Enchantment B2B the coffee was the worst we've had on any cruise. Only decent coffee on the Explorer was in the Promenade Cafe (there was no Starbucks) and on Enchantment we only got coffee at the newly installed Starbucks as everywhere else it was cold and bitter.

Explorer has Starbucks in the Promenade Cafe, between the ice cream counter and the food counter. We had several beverages there during our new Years Eve cruise. We even used our Starbucks gift cards. There is no Starbucks sign, but the menu and the cups/napkins all have the familiar Starbucks logo on them.

Explorer has Starbucks in the Promenade Cafe, between the ice cream counter and the food counter. We had several beverages there during our new Years Eve cruise. We even used our Starbucks gift cards. There is no Starbucks sign, but the menu and the cups/napkins all have the familiar Starbucks logo on them.

Just wondering is the starbucks coffee an addl charge of included? Thanks. Not specialty just regular coffee

... is the starbucks coffee an addl charge of included? Thanks. Not specialty just regular coffee

Just off the EOS, apparently inside and OV cabins do not get coffee makers at all (not sure about balcony's) - I would expect RCCL to provide gourmet coffee maker (single serving style) in suite+ categories.

The coffee in the buffet/cafe/MDR were pretty good & strong, better than the regular ones at McD or Dunkin Donuts back home.

On the EOS, StarBucks is alongside Ben & Jerry's in front of the Promenade (24 hour cafe) and yes, it's extra charge even for their regular blends - prices are about the same as land prices charged by SB here in NYC (outside of Manhattan, at least) Expresso & Moca are similarly priced - payable via SeaPass passes (no cash accepted.)

Otherwise, the long lines for a cup of SB would go around the corner & be rather long, LOL - only 1 employee behind the counter ...

The regular/decaf coffee, hot water for tea are on its own self-serviced "mini island" on the opposite side of the counters, partially obscured - iced water & unsweetened iced tea are also self-serviced nearby.

Edited by mking8288

Do they still offer Seattle's Best in the Promenade for no charge?

They still offer free self-serve coffee in Cafe Promenade on the wall opposite Starbucks. It's not Seattle's Best (I'm blanking on the brand, someone will chime in). Seattle's Best was the up-sell coffee shop that was replaced by Starbucks.

Question about starbucks. Do they serve the normal menu like starbucks on land or is it just straight up coffee? Husband wants to know if he needs to bring the Caramel.

They don't have the full menu, but they do have the caramel! We had frappuccinos!

Just off the EOS, apparently inside and OV cabins do not get coffee makers at all (not sure about balcony's) - I would expect RCCL to provide gourmet coffee maker (single serving style) in suite+ categories.

The coffee in the buffet/cafe/MDR were pretty good & strong, better than the regular ones at McD or Dunkin Donuts back home.

On the EOS, StarBucks is alongside Ben & Jerry's in front of the Promenade (24 hour cafe) and yes, it's extra charge even for their regular blends - prices are about the same as land prices charged by SB here in NYC (outside of Manhattan, at least) Expresso & Moca are similarly priced - payable via SeaPass passes (no cash accepted.)

Otherwise, the long lines for a cup of SB would go around the corner & be rather long, LOL - only 1 employee behind the counter ...

The regular/decaf coffee, hot water for tea are on its own self-serviced "mini island" on the opposite side of the counters, partially obscured - iced water & unsweetened iced tea are also self-serviced nearby.

Thanks! I don't recall ready about a coffee card. That is probably the ony card I would make use of. I did like the coffee card on Princess. While the specialty coffees counted toward usuing up the card all the fresh brewed didn't. Thanks again!

They still offer free self-serve coffee in Cafe Promenade on the wall opposite Starbucks. It's not Seattle's Best (I'm blanking on the brand, someone will chime in). Seattle's Best was the up-sell coffee shop that was replaced by Starbucks.

They always had Seattles Best Coffee free in the Cafe Promenade (both regular and decaf) but I haven't been on the ship since they changed the pay Seattles Best specialty coffees to Starbucks so I don't know what free coffee they offer now. The free coffee in the Cafe Promenade was the best coffee on the ship! Hope it still is!!!

There was never a Sorrentos on the Explorer..........Freedom Class has them but not the Voyager Class.

Patty

The Champagne Bar is very nice...but FYI...they only serve specialty drinks and cocktails (wine, champagnes, martinis, higher end liquors, liquers, etc.) No beer ...no fountain soda (using your soda card) The only soda they have is for mixing cocktails. Try the Raspberry Peach Bellini.

Hello everyone... I was wondering about the kid's slide. Is there an age limit?

I asked my 9 year old this (I couldn't remember) and she tells me there is a height minimum but no age/height maximum. I rode the slide with my 5 year old DD on my lap because she was too short to go alone.

I think the slide is somewhat self-limiting regarding age. It's a small slide that doesn't go fast. Not sure how much fun it would be for a teen.

It's possible to get hot water in the cafe/buffet but temperature is most likely under 190 degree F (probably 180 or lower) to minimize risks for accidental burns - it's fine for most tea bags but for us, boiling water at 212 degree is best for drip coffee (that's the way we do it at home with our French-Vietnamese old fashion coffee grinds.)

JR Suite and above have them.

we booked explorer for mar 2013 is the water pretty rough that time of year. we are staying at hilton garden inn on staten island we are driving from ohio and will have the whole day on monday we want to take the ferry and see sol and ellis island will it be far to drive from the hotel to the ferry also do you pay for the ferry and do you pay at sol to see it we have never been to ny or is there a better way to go about it. ny help appreciated.

We are booked for a 10-night cruise on Explorer in December and will be celebrating my husband's birthday. We've never been to a specialty restaurant, but thought it may be a fun way to celebrate a birthday and try Portofino's. However, we don't want to miss the lobster night in the MDR. Just wondering if any of the experts know when the formal nights (One of those should be "lobster" night) are scheduled on a 10-day cruise?