Gibraltor Questions

Hi everyone,

First time heading to Gibraltor and just would like to get a few questions answered:

1. Roughly how far is the walk from the port to town, and is there a shuttle offered?

2. Roughly how far is the walk from the port to the cable car station, and would a taxi take you there or would they only want to give you a tour?

3. For five of us, how much would a taxi cost per person for a tour vs. how much would the cable car cost per person round-trip? Which would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

First time heading to Gibraltor and just would like to get a few questions answered:

1. Roughly how far is the walk from the port to town, and is there a shuttle offered?

2. Roughly how far is the walk from the port to the cable car station, and would a taxi take you there or would they only want to give you a tour?

3. For five of us, how much would a taxi cost per person for a tour vs. how much would the cable car cost per person round-trip? Which would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, we were there in Aug 2010 and walked into town, a good 20 minute stroll (we are healthy with no walking difficulties).

On RCI shuttle buses were provided at a small cost but there were also many taxis at the port gate. Not sure of the price of taxis but can say they were plentiful and of varying sizes so should not have a problem with your small group.

We walked from the ship all the way to the cable car and in total I would say 45 mins however I would say get there as soon as you can as we had to queue for 2 hours to get on the car:eek:.

If I could do it agian I would get a taxi to cable car & then walk back through town because after walking & waiting to get on the car as soon as we had finishd it was time to go back to ship so had to rush back.

Enjoy your time there!

Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone know the cost for a taxi per person vs. the cost of the cable car round-trip per person? Also, do taxis or the cable-cars take a credit card or just euros?

Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone know the cost for a taxi per person vs. the cost of the cable car round-trip per person? Also, do taxis or the cable-cars take a credit card or just euros?

Cable cars do take credit cards. Here is a link for further info on the cable, prices differ slightly on how far you want to go up and if you wish to return that way.

http://www.gibraltarinfo.gi/gibraltar-cable-car.aspx

Is it worth the extra cost for the natural reserve attractions? Since apes' den is part of the natural reserve attractions package, will we still be able to see apes if we don't add the package on?

Is it worth the extra cost for the natural reserve attractions? Since apes' den is part of the natural reserve attractions package, will we still be able to see apes if we don't add the package on?

We didn't go to the nature reserve because of timings but went to the top station and saw many many apes, which was what we went for, some piccies to give you an idea are attached.:)

PICT1970.jpg.9180781a3c7080eafb7b0710c1370f81.jpg

PICT1985.jpg.291dceb0cb1368d150466d9d507ed149.jpg

PICT1971.jpg.b77a5cc1d5a9574420bceeb6c31c0fc2.jpg

I'll echo the negatives of the cable-car, unless you're early it can involve long queues at the bottom station (tho' strangely not at the intermediate or top stations) and is closed in moderately windy conditions. The bottom station is also a bit of a hike from the ship, & even from the top of Main Street.

Apes' den is near the intermediate station, and 360-degree views & a bit of a cafe at the top station. Taxi route will not give you a 360-degree view.

The taxi tour takes you up to St Michaels Cave, the apes den & the Great Seige galleries, from which its a perpendicular view down to the airport. Strange to watch an aircraft take off & disappear round the corner while still a long long way below you :cool:

The only real hold-up with traffic can be at the apes den -in which case you walk forward to the apes, & your taxi catches up with you in no more than 15 mins. Drivers set the time-scale, but they get it right - I've never heard of anyone feeling they were sold short.

Most folk get dropped at Casemates Square (for a beer & a bite) at the bottom of Main Street.

Pretty certain 5 is too many for a taxi, so join others in a van (carry up to about 8 or 9). Price for a full van or taxi (sharing is the norm) I think works out about €25 pp, much the same as the cable-car but remember, this is from the quayside. Drivers are pretty good at not trying to fleece the unwary, but by the same token they tend not to negotiate.

You don't have to pay any entry fees.

Steal some fruit from the breakfast buffet for the apes - they do like fruit, & junk-food does them no good. But hang on tight to everything else, they're thieving little Herberts :p

John Bull :)

Will there be taxis willing to give you a ride to the cable car station, or will they be insistent on only wanting to give you a tour? I figure we can save good amount of time if we do not have make the walk from the dock to the station if we want to go the cable car route.

Will there be taxis willing to give you a ride to the cable car station, or will they be insistent on only wanting to give you a tour? I figure we can save good amount of time if we do not have make the walk from the dock to the station if we want to go the cable car route.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Most drivers reckon that on the way to the cable-car station they'll be able to talk you into taking their upper Rock tour if they want to :D

If you want to avoid their overtures, when you get on the quayside share a van with others that also want to go to the cable-car.

JB :)

Archived