Bringing Liquor Onboard

Cruiser199965

I've openly carried on 6 bottles of wine (I have a canvas shopping-style wine bag that's divided into 6 compartments) without anyone batting an eyelash. The Mrs. prefers gin; we bring that inside of a carry-on but again no hassles. If you buy in port you have to send your articles through the X-ray scanner - it's probably obvious what you have but again I've never heard of any problems bringing a bottle onboard from a port of call.

This is a big no-no on every other cruiseline but apparently Cunard its OK? Please post experiences. Thanks.

I have taken bottles aboard regularly (on a very long trip I once took about a dozen bottles of spirits aboard and bought more as time went on). We're on QE in August and I'm packing three bottles of malt for that trip. :)

I think that the more this is publicized, the better the chances are that Cunard changes their policy.
It's hard to find on their FAQ (or I'd link) but the public Cunard policy is "Don't be unreasonable."

It's hard to find on their FAQ (or I'd link) but the public Cunard policy is "Don't be unreasonable."

This is probably the most discussed topic.

Here it is once again.

Please everyone, just be sensible or it will ruin it for us all.

We returned last week from 10 days on QM2 after having taken 6 bottles of fizz aboard with no trouble.

Remember, they do ask you to "drink in moderation at all times"

Stewart

I agree that this is a issue that should not be brought up time after time. It comes under the category of questions that you don't want a negative answer if you're looking for a positive answer.

Why not instead of asking this question, use the SEARCH block here and you will find several threads addressing this question. I don't think we need another booze thread.

And yes, I've brought a couple of bottles on board myself for an afternoon drink before dinner. :D

This is probably the most discussed topic.

Here it is once again.

Please everyone, just be sensible or it will ruin it for us all.

We returned last week from 10 days on QM2 after having taken 6 bottles of fizz aboard with no trouble.

Remember, they do ask you to "drink in moderation at all times"

Stewart

BigMac, I agree! And I'll add that from my experience it is extremely rare to see an inebriated passenger on QM2. It just isn't done, and fellow passengers have no tolerance for those who abuse that rule.

Salacia

I took two litre bottles of gin on the QE for a 3 week trip - it was actually cheaper to buy it on board !

I have never found liquor cheaper on a vessel than in a shore liquor store. I may be proven wrong on the QM2 in September 2011 (my first with Cunard) but liquors on board other lines were often double what I paid at before boarding. Jack

This is a big no-no on every other cruiseline but apparently Cunard its OK? Please post experiences. Thanks.

I have found it to be yes-yes with two lines. I brought 3 bottles of wine on board Regent's Mariner last January and the only request they made of me that it was for use in my cabin. They really don't care since wine is free all over the ship having been paid for in advance through an expensive fare. Holland America made no fuss when I brought wine on board, too, but there would have been a corkage fee if taken into the dining room.

As a general metric, a liter of Captain Morgan rum or Beefeater gin is $40 on the QV, but it comes with 6 12 ounce soft drinks of your choice so that reduces the cost (the 12 ounce soft drinks in the fridge would normally cost you $2 each).

I didn't know this about Cunard, and probably a thousand other things as well! :)

The other Carnival Lines let you bring wine but no hard Liquor. You can buy bottles onboard, but not to take back to your cabin, and they are much cheaper than US prices. They are delivered to you the last night of the cruise. They are usually pretty loose at the port calls, and I have been able to come back with my Uncle Johnny Walker as a guest. Just to replenish the cabin stock in the Rum Runner Flasks you understand.

Royal Caribbean does not allow any alcohol to be brought on. They do scan and search your luggage. Although they didn't get carried away with it, as I only lost one rum runner flask to them. They also ask you to turn in alcohol you buy in the port to a table past security to be delivered to you later. I'm somewhat hard of hearing and the table had a line, so I seemed to have skipped that part of the process.:rolleyes:

Norwegian is IMHO the worst, they search everything when you get on, and search everything you bring back at every port. We won't do that again.

Archived