Sailing out of Galveston

funhavn

I like the Saltwater Grill...on Post Office Street...couple of blocks inland from the Strand. It's walking distance from the Port Terminals. Lot of people like Paco & Rudy's or The Sky Bar, all on the same street.

The Harbour House is on the pier down from the cruise terminal. As for as Gaido's I wouldn't eat there. It is surviving on reputation only. It used to be the best place to dine and now it's like you are getting precooked food from Sam's. There is a restaurant on the Sea Wall called Fish Tale's which is awsome. You can sit inside or out and generally have great service. I grew up around Galveston I feel bad about Gaido's but it's true. They are catering more to the beach crowd now and have lowered their standards for food and service.

Linda

I agree with you on Gaidos...Way overrated for their prices.

We like Fishtales as well.But keep in mind,it is also part of the Landrys Chain,so they have a lot of the same taste.Rain Forest,Salt Grass,Willie G's , Joe's Crab Shack,Landry's are all part of the same chain.They each have some unique offerings,but a lot are repetative.

Don't get me wrong,you probably wont be dissapointed in any of them,but there are some lesser knowns,that are quite good as well.

A pretty unique place is the Old Mexican Cafe,on 21st street.Great location towards the strand,and some unique Tex-Mex/Sea Food.Some cool stuff on the strand.Rudy and Paco's for a more upscale setting,and wonderful steaks.

The Rest. at the San Luis is very nice,great steaks and seafood.Try the Mango stack here.Which is a big stack of Crabmeat,Mango's Alvocados served with a spicey sauce...WOnderful...Prett Pricey.

As far as hotels.

My Fab Five..

The San Luis,Tremont,Galvez,Moody Gardens and Harbour House (Harbour House makes it on location only)

Perfectly fine choices.The Holiday Inn Express.Holiday Inn on the Beach,

The Hilton,The La Quinta Inn and Suites (not the other La Quinta)

Best Western,Howard Johnson (although it is way back on 45,away from all activites)

Its hit and miss with Super 8,Motel 6 and Days Inn.You kinda get what ya pay for.

Gaidos Seaside Inn,and the Commadore,are very quaint,pretty clean, basic old timey seaside type Inns.Dont expect many frills,but fine for a nights stay.

Keep in mind,that all that say Beach front,are actually across the street from the Sea wall.Great views,very close...but a busy street in front..:p There are 2 Condo/Suite facilites.The Galvastonian and The Islander..that are on the beach,and really nice..But are usually more suited for big families.Priced according to view...Some very reasonable,especially during off season,which runs basically Sept 7-May 15

DO NOT CHOOSE :eek: The Flagship,The Victorian Condotel,Brentwood Inn and Suites ( who may have changed their name,are located across from Moody Gardens) or SAND PIPER (sorry) .

Some of these,yes are requiring 2 night stays during peak season,although some if you call,have cruise packages,and will work with you.

Archived