naples on your own

coxy

That's what I needed to know. YOU are a lifesaver. I will adjust accordingly. How far south do you think its safe to go before starting the return?? Our sail away is 7PM and we are the only ship in port on October 22nd.

Have you already rented your car? Most rental agencies close early on Saturdays (around 1 PM or so), so are you sure you can return at the end of the day?

I like to start at the end and work backwards, just for a sanity check. Therefore, my first question would be how far the rental agency is from the cruise port, as there are none on-site. The distance you'll need to walk back could be five minutes (Maggiore/National on Via Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra), fifteen minutes (Europcar on Via Santa Lucia), or 30 minutes (Avis on Via Piedigrotta).

In any case, allowing for traffic, getting lost, and/or slow clerical help at the return office, you probably want to shoot for a 5 PM return, to ensure you're back on the ship by 6:30.

October 22nd (2011) is a Saturday, which should help with traffic. Let's assume your rental office opens at 8:30 and you can get out of there by 9:00. The paperwork, even with a prepaid reservation, can be a nightmare. Plus, if you're the first customer of the day, waiting for computers to warm up, etc., I've cooled my heels lots of times.

Departing downtown Naples at 9 AM and traveling via the autostrada, you can make it to Vietri Sul Mare, the eastern most point of the Amalfi Coast, by about 10:30. From here you can start a leisurely ride along the coast toward Positano. Without stopping you could probably make this in an hour, but you've got time so why not stop at Ravello and/or Amalfi along the way.

Lunch at Positano from 12:30 (or so) until 2 PM (or so). From here back to the cruise port should take you between 90 minutes to 2 hours (driving through Sorrento). That would put you back in Naples around 4 PM, which is why I said it's unrealistic to head back out at that point to Ercolano.

This is just what I needed!!! I love that you really know what you're talking about. I need to do some homework now... don't go far and check back every once in a while... I might need you. (Any interest on comming on a cruise?? LOL)

Thanks again!:D

We are taking my parents on this trip and they aren't big joiners (We aren't either). Because I can controle it, I have rented a car and made Lunch reservations at Hotel Splendido which is on my bucket list. Herculinium (Spelling?) is also important to my partner but perhaps not to my Dad. So... Here's the question: I am planning to take the highway south as far as is a good idea, start working my back doing the Positano lunch, staying on the coast back to Naples... making a drop off at the Ship and doing Herculinium last. If I have the fortitude to do the driving is this a realistic overview where we will see the highlights and feel like we can say "Been there, Done that." ? I appreciate your constructive suggestions. (PS: It's $100.00 to rent the car for the day... Price wise, it's a winner)

Hello fellow roll call member! I think that the advisability of renting a car for an Amalfi Coast drive all depends on your driving experience. Are you comfortable enough to drive the twisty turny roads barely wide enough for two cars and no guardrails or are you a white knuckle driver in those conditions? I am a mountain girl and a city girl and wouldn't think of renting a car for the Amalfi coast. Is there someone you can share the driving with? If not, you will miss the scenery that you are traveling to see. This is one of the ports I recommend splurging and taking a private tour. Leave the driving to them and enjoy your day. We are a friendly group of people and, with four months to go, I am sure you would have no trouble getting four other people to join you to spread out the cost. :D

:) any suggestions on what to do in naples have full day in port have done pompeii before thinking about capri/sorrento is this practical on your own:confused:

Once Naples was described to me as......the place you go to, to go somewhere else.

Having been to Naples 6 or 7 times......I agree with that observation. You should go somewhere else.....and Capri and Sorrento are two great place ......that most folks that come to Naples.......leave Naples to go to.....;)

Archived