Need help deciding...Legend or Dream?

BusyFLmom

This is my first post so please bare with me:)

Wanting to book our first family cruise. It will be husband and I (40's) and 3 kids...13, 8 and 8. Looking at spring break 2012 to the Western Carribean. Itineraries for both are pretty similar. I was leaning more towards the Dream but after reading reviews on how poorly the ship is laid out...now Im not so sure:confused: Is the Legend any better?

Hi! My family and I were on the Dream in April of this year! We loved it and would go back in a heart beat! The only downside for me was that we missed Roatan. Since this is your first post, I'm not sure how long you've been on cruise critic. I have a review that I did after our trip that may help to answer some of your questions. It's here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407878. If you have any questions after reading, I'll be happy to answer them for you. We thought the Dream was great and didn't have any issues in layout. It's funny that you are trying to decide between the Legend and the Dream because the Legend will probably be our next cruise. There are 6 of us and just too much money to fly so we have to drive to the port we are leaving from! Be sure and read my review and let me know if you have any questions!

Hi there,

My wife and I have sailed the Dream as well as the Miracle. (which is the same class of ship and layout as the Legend) Please trust me, you will much prefer the Legend.

The layout of the ship was great. It never felt crowded at all. Our cruise on the Dream was good, but the lineups (for everything) were annoying.

You can't go wrong with the Spirit class! (Miracle, Legend, Spirit and Pride)

Just my opinion of course, but I hope this helps.

We have never sailed on the Dream, but we did sail on the Legend last July out of Tampa. We completely enjoyed ourselves on the ship and it did not feel crowded. The steakhouse was amazing. The Port of Tampa was very easy to sail out of. For us coming from the west coast, we saved lots of money in both airfare and cruise fare by picking the Legend. Happy cruising!:)

My partner and I were on the Dream October 2010 and loved it. We were booked in a Spa Balcony Cabin and had the use of the Spa included with our fare. Our Balcony was located on the very top deck with open air, which we loved. This is us on the balcony, taken from the Serenity Deck Above:

73170_1203822752854_1747193670_360078_1026335_n.jpg

Then clowning with the Cruise Director Josh Waitzman (Who is on the Glory now):

66571_1204353366119_1747193670_360624_7205107_n.jpg

Drinking my signature Martini!:

73784_1204354126138_1747193670_360629_2720448_n.jpg

Heck we had a blast. And I just don't get the people who think they are so entitled, bitch and moan about LINES>>>> that they won't wait in a line for ten minutes at the buffet, but are the very same people who wait two hours for a two minute ride at Disney or Universal Theme Parks. We love the lines, we get to meet lots of people and have fun.....

The Dream is a Dream, larger, and takes some getting used to, navigation wise, but stunning. We are booked on her for the Cruise Critic Reunion Cruise again October 2012.

The Legend this October is a trip we are looking forward too. We are booked in a Vista Aft Wrap Suite:D This year, many of our original Dream Roll Call'ers are sailing with us again and that is in 124 days!!!!:D

Which ever ship you choose, its Carnival and you will have a wonderful vacation. All the kids that were on our roll call sailing, about 80 of them, ages 7 to 17, all participated in the Camp Carnival programs....and just try to pry them away from those programs....ain't happening...great vacation for moms and dads too!

Have fun, either ship will be fantabulous!!!!!

JW

For us, the Legend is perfect. More space:passneger ratio makes it feel less crowded. Staff has been excellent on our 3 cruises on Legend. We love Spirit class ships. A precaution about the Dream is that she sometimes cannot dock in Roatan (which is our favorite port). Because of her size, if it is too windy or rough, she can't navigate the channel to get to the port. The thought of possibly missing Raotan would be enough to make my mind up!;)

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time! Oh and welcome to CC!:)

The Legend is my favorite ship. It's laid out great and you never feel crowded on board. The downside is that it doesn't have all the fun features that the Dream has for the kids, like the Waterworks and Seaside Theater.

Thank you everyone for the replies!! They were all very helpful. It was a tough decision...but we decided on the Legend :) Just booked it:D I think I would still like to try the Dream so maybe next time ;)

We were on the Legend and really loved the ship. We booked it again for April but are trying out the Dream in October. The Legend layout was very nice. We had absolutely no problems on the Legend. We are a little bit worried on our upcoming Dream cruise as there seems to be alot of negative posts.

This is my first post so please bare with me:)

Wanting to book our first family cruise. It will be husband and I (40's) and 3 kids...13, 8 and 8. Looking at spring break 2012 to the Western Carribean. Itineraries for both are pretty similar. I was leaning more towards the Dream but after reading reviews on how poorly the ship is laid out...now Im not so sure:confused: Is the Legend any better?

We did the Dream last year, and the Miracle (sister ship of the Legend) this year. I can say without a doubt that Dream is much easier to get around in. The layout is so simple and straight-forward. Everything is so easy to find. It's so easy, there's no challenge to it. Legend has more sections, such as 2 separate main pool areas, plus the waterslide is elsewhere. But the Dream has the main pool, tanning area, and waterpark all in the same big open area, which I prefer. The Miracle for me was very difficult to get around in. I kept getting twisted and turned around. There's all kinds of hidden hallways to get to things. For a ship like Dream, we had it figured out within 3 days. On a ship like Legend, it took much longer. We have been baffled that people consider a ship like this to be easier to get around in than a Conquest/Dream/Triumph layout. Strange twists & turns and hidden hallways/entrances makes for a confusing ship. You can get used to it, but you'll get used to Dream much quicker. I can go into specifics about what confused us if you want me to. Legend will be less crowded, Dream will have an easier layout to navigate.

Either choice, IMO, was a good one! You probably choose the better of the two, for a "first timer". We've done both ships, and I don't find either of 'em to be "confusing" to get around on. The "Conquest Class" ships, on the other hand, ARE difficult, because of the galley being forward of the aft dining room, with no way around. That leads to dead ends and having to go "up and down" to get "there from here".

Congratulations, on an excellent choice. "Legend" is truly outstanding!

"SKY"

Having sailed both ships (both sailings within the last year) I would choose the Dream again. Overall the decore on the Legend is much prettier. However the Dream offered SO MUCH more to do. I also didn't find the Dream any harder to get around then the Legend. I also much prefered sailing out of Port Canaveral compared to Tampa. However the Staff on the Legend was hands down the best we've sailed with. You can read my reviews about both ships in my signature. The Legend is one of our favorites but it takes 2nd place to the Dream. You really can't go wrong with ether ship.

Archived