Cameron Reid Tours on Barbados

phoenixlady

We just returned from our S.Caribbean Cruise. We used private tours on each of our five islands. Our only truly bad tour was on Barbados. Based on recommendations from other CC people, we used Cameron Reid tours. He gave us a driver who was terrible. We told him our main interest was to go to Harrison’s cave first. He insisted that, because of its location on the island, we go there last. By the time we got there at 3:00, we found it crowded and waited an hour. Because we had to get back to the ship by 4:30 and still had to wait at least an hour more for our tram, we all opted to have him take us back to Bridgetown immediately and had Harrison's Cave refund our money. We were very disappointed. Throughout his tour this driver was rude, arrogant and showed us nothing of great interest while touring. Another family of our party went on Cameron’s tour with a different driver and found the same rude behavior with him. I strongly suggest never using Cameron Reid tours.

I also have a tour booked with him for April 14.I emailed him, after reading Julie's post, and he emailed me back that if anything goes wrong that is their fault we do not have to pay.I am sure after hearing about this negative review, and what it can do to his business, things will go well.He said to go with an open mind,which I will, and hope for the best.I am sure he will straighten his drivers out, or get new ones, if their are complaints.

I am in shock to read this post! We left for our trip on March 18- so did not get to see this post- thank Goodness- before we left. We toured with Cameron personally on March 21st.

Please see my review on this same Barbados thread.

I have for many years now depended on CC for many of our tours. I do realize WITH VERY MUCH AN OPEN MIND- that posts are truly from people's heart and in best interest, but also their opinion. I book, I inquire, and rely on my tour guide's expertise for recommendations- BUT MOST IMPORTANT- I plan AHEAD and email my tour guide MY ITINERARY with priorities highlighted and other multiple ambitious options. I let my driver know what is important to our family, however plan on options, in case something does not work out. Something not work out?

Allow me to explain;

I am also a believer of offering warnings where warning are due, however being a caribbean native, I also offer AS MUCH DATA of factors that may have affected the experience. The caribbean is very relaxed, depends highly on tourism and is eager to please, but every island is also FLOODED with tourists from both cruises and land based resorts. Many things are unpredictable in the caribbean. There are many times, that NOT OF DRIVER'S fault, tourist attractions are filled with lines and group tours that may affect the wait time for a popular option.

I am not trying to undermind Julie's post- and feel bad for her experience- in fact, rude behavior is NEVER acceptable. However, in meeting Cameron and a couple of his other drivers- sorry, but I CAN'T imagine them being rude. If it did happen, then they truly fooled me with an estellar performance.

What Julie failed to mention is that the Spirit does not get to Barbados until 1pm. Unless Julie traveled in a suite or was on an NCL sponsored tour, impossible she would have been off the ship and meeting with driver any earlier than 1:30pm. (That is if ship had customs clearance and all ON TIME). Even so, with all the driving and scenic stops- the earliest she would have been by the caves would have been 2:15 (counting on all being EXCELLENT) So- how is it the driver mentioned it was LAST stop but it was 3pm?? Something not accurate about the story.

For us, we were at caves approx. 2:30 and already there was a Group of land based tourists (LARGE) waiting; that in no way Cameron would have been able to predict. He did however, avoid the cruise ship buses getting there. Had we not, we would have BEEN THANKFUL for him to suggest for us to do something else of value on his beautiful island, than waiting in cramped, small, humid facilities that only nature can offer at Harrison's Caves. We would hope that Cameron as an EXPERT, would have led us elsewhere instead of having us wait in line for an HOUR plus (on a SHORT port of call), to ensure we still had a memorable time in Barbados. After all, that's what we hired him for. Right?

All I am saying is, have honest expectations, be open minded, have a good time- whatever comes your way! Remember- to arrive in an island at 1pm- this is MID DAY, this is the BUSIEST time and time is just too short to demand of a driver to know all and see it all. If this is anyone's expectations- perhaps renting a car may be the best venue for you. Hah- let's see you do that and find your way on time...:D ;)

TO ALL THAT HAVE BOOKED CAMERON- sure email him and voice your concerns and do what I told you above- set your expectations and you will have a good time! Out of all the drivers I have met in our travels- he has the "professionalism" award in my book! :)

Bon Voyage...;) and any questions- feel free to ask.

Archived