Bringing Liquor Back

DragonMouse

I'm confused about liquor rules.

I'm not interested in bringing Liquor IN to Canada (most of the posts I'm finding are all about bring liquor IN to Canada but we're leaving out of "Seattle" so I don't care)...but coming BACK to Seattle. If I buy something in Alaska or Canada...I KNOW Carnival will keep it in store till the final night. BUT...

When we dock in Seattle to come home. How much can I bring back with me? I know the Rules for "Texas" but not any place else.

How much would "duty" be to claim it. I've never sailed outside of Texas before. I "THINK" :confused: in Florida I can bring back up to $1000 but I know I have to pay "duty" and/or "tax" on that...(I haven't tried that either). I have no intention on bringing back THAT much...but we'll probably bring back a couple of bottles of "Sheridan" and perhaps a "rum" or two.

As a Texan coming back into Texas I'm allowed ONE bottle period. No duty, no taxes...just ONE bottle.:rolleyes: You can bring back more and pay "duty" on it IF you are NOT a Texan

While you can bring back $800 pp, if you bring more than 1 liter of liquor, and declare it, they may or may not charge duty. If they do its only a few dollars.

If you are over just a bottle or two, the customs people generally just let you go thru with it rather than holding up the line to charge you.

While you can bring back $800 pp, if you bring more than 1 liter of liquor, and declare it, they may or may not charge duty. If they do its only a few dollars.

If you are over just a bottle or two, the customs people generally just let you go thru with it rather than holding up the line to charge you.

How much is "duty"?

I didn't realize that Texas was so severe on that. We live in and mostly cruise out of Florida. The rules in the Caribbean are different from where you are heading, but the process is the same. You are allowed one liter of alcohol duty free, per person. Anything over that you are required to pay duty on, which is 10% of the purchase price. I always keep the receipts handy and detail overages on the customs declaration form. When you are buying Absolute for 13.00 a bottle (vs around 32 in state), 1.30 extra don't make any difference. As long as you have been up front with the declaration, you won't have any problem. And to be honest, they have never bothered to collect the 10% anyway. The only way you will get into trouble is if you try to smuggle it and get caught. That can get very expensive.

How much is "duty"?

Varys by which liquor, maybe google it if you need the exact amount/percentage, but the amounts I have seen posts are in the $2 to $3 range per bottle as above. .. and as I said they rarely charge you. If you are buying a case of something.. then yes, but for a extra bottle or two, they usually dont charge.

I see someone posted it is 10% .. so now you know. I guess Im buying more expensive tequila and save the cheaper stuff to buy at home, so thats why the customs amount would be a little higher.

Texas is only that strict with it's "residents". Believe me if I'd LOVE to change the rules but we still have "dry counties". I had a friend that lived in one. He had to buy a "membership" card in order to have a "drink" at a resturant. There won't be any problem if I'm flying in from Seattle. They can't say much about "state to state". And really and truly. I'm not gonna go NUTZ in this department. I really don't drink that much :eek: I've not tried to FLY...but other than Mexico we'd be stopping in another state first so it shouldn't matter. They're also persnickety about "cigarettes"...alas we don't smoke and neither do the friends we'll be with. So I really don't care.

Texas Residents can bring back into Texas a maximum of:

• 1 quart of distilled spirits;
  • 3 gallons of wine; and
  • 24 twelve ounces containers of beer

Nonresidents can bring back into Texas a maximum of:

• 1 gallon of distilled spirits or wine (or any combination of the two); and
  • 24 twelve ounces containers of beer

Nonresidents must have identification to prove their out-of-state residency.

Archived