Stingray City - Antigua

Hi,

We are looking into doing the Stingray Swim at Stingray City and just curious to see others reviews on this. I have swam with the dolphins before but I am little nervous about the stingrays. I have heard they can bite, is this painful and/or dangerous? Is there a better tour take? (first, last, etc)

Hi,

We are looking into doing the Stingray Swim at Stingray City and just curious to see others reviews on this. I have swam with the dolphins before but I am little nervous about the stingrays. I have heard they can bite, is this painful and/or dangerous? Is there a better tour take? (first, last, etc)

If I remember correctly, it's actually a strong suck, giving you a "hickey" or "love bite", not dangerous, but can be painful.

My companion received a "love bite" during our visit to Stingray City in March. He described it as a strong suck with a pinch at the end. It did bleed a little bit and he carried his "badge of honor" the rest of the cruise. I personally did not have anything happen to me like this. They will give you squid to feed them. When I was doing that - I experienced the sucking on my fingers but nothing uncomfortable. I don't feel it is dangerous - actually it was one of my favorite things on the cruise but something to keep at the back of your mind as a possibility.

Thanks for the information. I had heard about it and was just curious of how bad the bite really is. Would hate to be miserable the rest of the cruise. But it doesn't sound that bad:D

• 4 weeks later...
My companion received a "love bite" during our visit to Stingray City in March. He described it as a strong suck with a pinch at the end. It did bleed a little bit and he carried his "badge of honor" the rest of the cruise. I personally did not have anything happen to me like this. They will give you squid to feed them. When I was doing that - I experienced the sucking on my fingers but nothing uncomfortable. I don't feel it is dangerous - actually it was one of my favorite things on the cruise but something to keep at the back of your mind as a possibility.

Gkjta, did you take the early morning tour or a later one? I heard that stingrays are less agressive after they have been fed by a tour or two, so I was hoping for a confirmation.

It was early afternoon. We had ziplined in the morning and gone back to the ship for lunch and then went to stingray city. I can understand your point though - I would think they would have been somewhat full from the morning tour - I know our group had ALOT of squid to feed them.

It was early afternoon. We had ziplined in the morning and gone back to the ship for lunch and then went to stingray city. I can understand your point though - I would think they would have been somewhat full from the morning tour - I know our group had ALOT of squid to feed them.

Thank you. Do they still have an enclosure for stingrays or is it out in the open?

We took boats to a floating dock......Went down a ladder into the stingray area.....There is some type of enclosure around it but I don't think it was completely enclosed. It was big enough that I didn't pay attention.

• 3 months later...

5521554 - Did you end up doing this tour? I really want to do this in Antigua, trying to decide whether to book through the ship or on our own. From other reviews I have read it sounds like it is kind of difficult to get there, so I am considering just booking the ship's tour for ease and convenience. It is $60 through Princess, and from what I gather about $50 directly through Stingray City, but you still have to pay for transport to get there.

Archived