Nautica - cabins at the very front of the ship?

sherkston

We have to finalize a cruise on the Nautica tomorrow morning - we have a hold on two cabins - one is on the very front of the ship (6001) and the other is 6014 - which is on towards the front end, but faces off the side of the ship. The only difference I can see is that the front facing cabin would have a steel balconey rail, which would limit your range of viewing, and the other would be glass or rail. We are not prone to motion sickness - so that's not something we have to consider. Anyone have any experiences with this - would love to hear them. Thanks !

We have to finalize a cruise on the Nautica tomorrow morning - we have a hold on two cabins - one is on the very front of the ship (6001) and the other is 6014 - which is on towards the front end, but faces off the side of the ship. The only difference I can see is that the front facing cabin would have a steel balconey rail, which would limit your range of viewing, and the other would be glass or rail. We are not prone to motion sickness - so that's not something we have to consider. Anyone have any experiences with this - would love to hear them. Thanks !

The thing of it is that, although the forward views are superb you will also hear more of the sounds of the working of the ship from a cabin at the bow.

231442.jpg231319.jpg

That front deck is a working deck and although they try to keep it quiet, there are times when the noise and vibrations are very intense.

Thankfully. the inconvenience is usually over within ten or 15 minutes, unfortunately, the noise is at its' worst VERY early in the morning as the ship is manuevering into dock.

You will also want to consider that the forward deck is only about 8 feet lower than the deck 6 verandahs. Crew standing on that deck appear to be VERY close, even though they cannot see over the steel balcony railing.

012626.jpg

Finally, because lights shining in the front of the ship cause a navigational hazzard after dark, cabins which face forward are REQUIRED to keep their curtains closed after dusk if there are any lights burning in the cabin. This is very strictly enforced.

On the other hand, the verandahs at the front of the ship are deeper than the ones at the side of the ship, and 6014 is not so far aft that you wouldn't get some of the noise and vibration anyway.

211227.jpg

Whichever cabin you choose, you are bound to have a fabulous cruise, but if you have never sailed in a forward facing cabin before, my personal opinion is that the benefits outweigh the problems, and you should go for it.

If nothing else, you'll have a killer conversation starter for the whole cruise!

Enjoy!

6001 is also right over the stage of the lounge.!there is constant constant thump, thump from percussion in the afternoon when they practice as well as when there are shows at night.

If this does not bother you go for it....

We had cabin 6001 in the Baltic and loved it.

Yes there is some noise as you maneuver into and out of port, but when you are going in, it is almost a wake-up call. We could go out on the balcony in our pajamas and watch the ship come in to port. It was a fantastic place to watch every port entry. The only time it was bothersome was when we entered Dover, as we were very early, and it was the middle of the night when we docked, but still only for a little while.

The men on the main deck cannot see into the cabin at all, but there is an officer posted up on the catwalk as you get close, and he would be able to see into the cabin if he was so inclined. But, that is really just as they are getting close to the dock.

It is a good bit more windy than other balconies, but if you enjoy watching the bow and seeing where you are going, it is perfect.

As for the noise from the lounge -- we never noticed it at all. We did not go to the shows the first three or four nights, and though I was concerned about the noise before we boarded, it was all but non-existent, and the shows are finished around 9:45 anyhow.

As for the lights -- the navigation bridge is not going to want to have their night vision ruined by white lights facing forward. Now you would think that ships would have this taken care of with red lights -- that's what they use in those situations. But for reasons beyond my understanding, no cruise line puts alternate red lights in forward-facing cabins. I ordered a few red night lights and slightly large incandescent bulbs (topbulb.com) and put the latter in plug-in sockets that I got at Home Depot. We were not out on the balcony that much at night -- again it is a bit cooler with the stronger breeze and lack of sun -- but when we wanted to, I was prepared. All I had to do was plug in a red light or two to have some light in the room, turn off the white lights, and open up the curtain. It's not much of a deal, but you do have to have the socket and bulb with you.

The steel side to the balcony does break the wind, and we often read outside on the balcony.

As you can see, it did take a small amount of preparation (red lights), but we loved the cabin, and will likely stay in the bow many times again.

If you are at all prone to seasickness I do not recommend it.

We (2 couples) had 7006 and 7007 (the oversized outside deluxe cabins where the balcony space is enclosed) on Nautica this past February. Both husbands did not handle it well. LOL There was a lot of movement in the cabin. We opted for midship on our next Nautica cruise.

Archived