Just back from Carnival Spirit with 9mo old. Questions?

RoDel

Hi all! We just got back today from Alaska aboard the Carnival Spirit with our son who turned 10 months during our trip. We had a blast! Best trip eeeever. I hope to be posting a quick review as soon as I can, but for now, if anyone has questions about this, please let me know - it's still all fresh in my mind!

Just quickly:

I took a gallon of nursery water, but ended up using tap water just as much. I won't bother next time...

I took jarred baby food, but came back with over half of it - mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, fruit salads and cheerios did the trick.

We used the Camp Carnival late night babysitting services almost every night, worked out great.

I would suggest taking disposable bibs and little bags for smelly dipers.

Let me know if I can help!

Hey- me and my husband are taking OUR 9 month old on an Alaskan Cruise aboard the Island Princess at the end of August. I'm trying to plan everything out now. We're going with approximately 8 other family members (most of whom have expressed interest in helping us out with the little one).

Did you do a land portion AND a sea portion? If so, what tips do you have for your land experience? did you bring a car seat and/or a portable crib? i have had many suggest that i bring an umbrella stroller rather than a full "bells & whistles" type stroller. what do you think? tell me ALL the good, bad, and UGLY advice that you have for taking this type of a trip with a 9 month old! thank you!:)

Hi!

We travelled with 2 other couples, none of which have children. They were a big help, just in terms of taking him for a few minutes here and there while my husband and i went to the jacuzzi or played bingo, that sort of thing. Bringing family will be a huge help!

We only did the 7 day cruise, plus one day extra in Seattle on our own.

I have a big Valco jogging stroller that I thought would be too big. It would've been a nightmare. I own an umbrella stroller, but my son doesn't sleep well in it. Instead, i traded strollers for the week with my friend and took her Graco which fully reclines. Although it didn't fit through the cabin door (had to collapse it), it worked out great. He napped in it, so we could take him everywhere without having to stay in the cabin. I did take that plastic rain gear thing that the stroller comes with and would use that in port, when the wind was very chilly. He stayed nice and warm with it. i would say bring a stroller that your little one can sleep in, so that for at least one of his naps you don't have to stay in your cabin. Our son needs two naps - one would be in the stroller, one we would go back to the cabin for and use that time to nap, shower, etc.

As for the crib, we had the steward make up the couch for a third person, used the back cushions to make a barrier, and used that instead. We thought a crib might take up too much space... This worked out very well for us, he slept better than he ever has!

I hope this helps!

I will be cruising with my then-19 month old on the Carnival Dream in August. I am looking forward to using the late night babysitting but was wondering how quiet it is for the babies to sleep. Did your baby sleep or stay awake while there? Are the under 2s kept seperate from the older kids? Thanks!

We left him three times once he was already asleep. They offered to put him in a crib, but we always left him in hus stroller. Although it was already pretty dark in there, they put a blanket over the stroller because some of the older kids were watching a movie. It was never loud and the only kids we saw in there were 5 or 6 years old max. By the time we picked up our son, they were all asleep, so i would imagine it never got loud. In Alaska there weren't many kids to begin with, so I am not sure if older kids would stay there, but I think they have a seperate area.

They gave us a cell phone to stay in touch if they needed us and the only time we left him awake, they called us after an hour saying he was crying and some of the older kids couldn't sleep. All in all, the staff was wonderful and would highly recommend their services.

• 1 month later...

[you said you used the baby sitting service every night, how does it work, we have a 13 mon. and wondered, do you pay them cash? did you tip? did you dress them in jammies and change them before? do they change them if needed? what time did yall end up getting your baby and did they go back to sleep easy? how did your mornings go, did you have an inside cabin? we do and im afraid when we are up and he sees lights we will all be up. oh, and the dining room, we have the early dinner, was it easy to get a high chair and how was your baby with sitting and eating for a long period?

would appreciate any tips, thanks

babymomma1

quote=RoDel;29370312]Hi all! We just got back today from Alaska aboard the Carnival Spirit with our son who turned 10 months during our trip. We had a blast! Best trip eeeever. I hope to be posting a quick review as soon as I can, but for now, if anyone has questions about this, please let me know - it's still all fresh in my mind!

Just quickly:

I took a gallon of nursery water, but ended up using tap water just as much. I won't bother next time...

I took jarred baby food, but came back with over half of it - mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, fruit salads and cheerios did the trick.

We used the Camp Carnival late night babysitting services almost every night, worked out great.

I would suggest taking disposable bibs and little bags for smelly dipers.

Let me know if I can help!

[you said you used the baby sitting service every night, how does it work, we have a 13 mon. and wondered, do you pay them cash? did you tip? did you dress them in jammies and change them before? do they change them if needed? what time did yall end up getting your baby and did they go back to sleep easy? how did your mornings go, did you have an inside cabin? we do and im afraid when we are up and he sees lights we will all be up. oh, and the dining room, we have the early dinner, was it easy to get a high chair and how was your baby with sitting and eating for a long period?

would appreciate any tips, thanks

babymomma1!

On Carnival, there is a per hour charge for sitting, and the time is 10pm until 3am. Last cruise, the charge was $6.75 per hour and it's added to your Sea Pass account. Tipping is up to you. You can pick up the baby anytime until 3am. There is no infant program during the day on sea days.

Some kids handle the long dinners well, and others do not. My cousin's baby had a melt down one evening and we took him out immediately. You really can't keep a screaming or unhappy child in the dining room or in any of the entertainment venues. High chairs are very easy to get. Just ask your waiter.

Archived