travel agent or direct with cruise company?

Glycine

Hi everyone,

We are planning for Alaska on celebrity Century (9days) on september 2012.

We were wondering if a lot of people buy their cruise direct or most or you buy from a travel agent??

And do you think we are too early too book for sept. 2012????

Thanks for your comments.

Brigitte

(sorry for my "french" accent):)

Been on 5 cruises in the last 2 years. Never booked once directly through the cruise line. I've ALWAYS found a better deal through a travel agent, whether lower fare or extra onboard credit.

Unfortunately, CruiseCritic doesn't allow us to recommend specific agents but make sure you clearly read the Terms and Policies before you book as many online agencies charge cancellation or change fees. Also, check with the BBB to make sure they have a reputable standing.

Read the detailed review with photos of my Alaska cruise, packing list, and shopping tips:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

I always recommend booking with an agent. They can get the same price you can and often provide additional amenities such as on board credit. If something goes wrong a good TA can be an advocate for you with the cruise line.

The challenge is to get a good TA. Ask friends, family members and colleagues who cruise a lot for recommendations.

Keith

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Actually, I have a travel agent, I asked for a quote but her price was higher than Celebrity cruise direct... that is why I was wondering if any of you had previously booked direct... and if so..had any bad or good experience...

Brigitte

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Actually, I have a travel agent, I asked for a quote but her price was higher than Celebrity cruise direct... that is why I was wondering if any of you had previously booked direct... and if so..had any bad or good experience...

Brigitte

If your agent is giving you a higher price than booking direct, it's time to find another agent. :) CruiseCritic has a list of agents here that you can check out:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Brigitt, Should you ever review previous posts, you will find both the best and worst regarding Travel Agents. Secondly, the horror stories do pop up from time to time from those who have tried to "wing it" on their own, and ended up in some sort of a pickle.

Personally, I would always recommend the use of an experienced and established TA. Finding the right one may take some time, and you'll need to ask for recommendations, but when you find one, you will have someone who will know more about the "in's and out's" than any private traveller will ever know.

Travel agents work for themselves and are paid a commission from most cruise lines, but no longer by the airlines. Therefore, expect that you may be charged for air bookings. However, some may be able to get you a better cruise cost, either by negotiating with the line, or by sharing their commission with their client. But do be wary of anyone who wants to charge more! Determine your cruise cost direct from the line, and use that as your starting amount.

Good luck, or as we used to say in Vancouver before I moved away - "Bon Chance".....

Archived