Cruising Labor Day Week, Have You Ever?

lilmsonry

What is it like to cruise during labor day week on Elation at Western Caribbean? Anything extra going on? Would love to hear from you? Does this sailing usually sell out? New cruiser here, just gotta know, ya know?:confused: :eek: :p :D

Your biggest excitement will be dodging hurricanes or potential hurricanes. Maybe we'll get a reprieve this year as last year was so bad. We usually sail in Sept or Oct. One reason being that the rates go down after Labor day, plus our anniv is in Sept. :D We sailed between hurricanes last year. Ivan had come through Ocho Rios before us and they still didn't have power to most of the area. Jeanne came through Labadee after we left. And I think it was Ivan that destroyed Grand Cayman (a missed port of ours) so bad they didn't receive ships for months afterwards. Just be prepared for a change in itin.

Laurie, yeah, I am really hoping that nothing crucial happens!!! After last year, they could use a "light" year for hurricanes....We will be cruising 9/4/05, maybe it won't be so bad the beginning of September.

Is the beginning of September better than the middle? Latter? Thanks everybody, will be sailing with DH, DD, DS, and DS. :o

Other than weather events, another thing you *may* notice will be significantly fewer children onboard as school has resumed session in most of the country.

Actually, if you look at past history late August and early Sept seem to be peak times for hurricanes. The season technically lasts from June to November. If you're really concerned you may want to think about moving the date to later in Sept.

We enjoyed ourselves even though we missed a port and dealt with the power outages in Ocho Rios. Your cruise is what you make of it. Good times & unexpected changes. I will admit it always makes our vacations interesting. We get addicted to the weather channel and http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ before vacations.

Lauri, thanks for the web site! Also, I was supposed to go 4/10/05 and had 2 major surgeries in December, 1 planned, 1 not planned:eek: which unfortunately led to me having to reschedule to 9/4/05.....so, understandibly, I don't want to move it, I'll take my chances as stupid as it may be to some people....April is coming up and it is difficult knowing that I really should be packing now!#^%&*(#$%!! I am trying to stay on the bright side of it, at least I get to go in September!!! (again, trying!!;) ). Thanks for all the insights!:o

Archived