Early Saver specific Question

LucyR.

My teenager grand-son will not be cruising with me for a Halloween, Oct. 30th cruise. I can't do a name change because of the early saver rules. I didn't want to lose his deposit since eventhough I paid for his deposit I was told by my T.A. that I couldn't use his deposit for solo me . So, I have kept his name on the booked cruise. When do I ask for the cruise refund of port charges and taxes, fees, etc. since he isn't crusing with me?

My teenager grand-son will not be cruising with me for a Halloween, Oct. 30th cruise. I can't do a name change because of the early saver rules. I didn't want to lose his deposit since eventhough I paid for his deposit I was told by my T.A. that I couldn't use his deposit for solo me . So, I have kept his name on the booked cruise. When do I ask for the cruise refund of port charges and taxes, fees, etc. since he isn't crusing with me?

if you cancel him- you lose 50.00 the deposit will be held for your future cruise within 2 years. (if he goes as a no show you lose it all)

She would lose it anyway...arent cabins based on double occupancy?

Yep... so there is no loss if he's a no show. There would be the $50 penalty if canceled and the remaining $200 would be diverted to another cruise.

I believe your only recourse would be to report him as a no show at the cruise terminal and request the fees and taxes then.

Actually its better not to report him then. My PVP warned me not to, but did I listen ... nooo, and I had the dickens checking in, it locked up my booking.

They automatically refunded some very small amount of add on taxes and fees.

You dont get port taxes back. I got about $30 back on the 5 day. The taxes and fees went down, but only I got the OBC from that so looks like I lost about $10ish in the translation .. but I was happy to get the little bit back I did.

It was refunded automatically. dont waste energy trying to get it refunded onboard.

if you cancel him- you lose 50.00 the deposit will be held for your future cruise within 2 years. (if he goes as a no show you lose it all)

Unless the OP faxes a form to Carnival saying she paid it, the future cruise credit would be held in the name of the booked pax, not the OP.

Sounds like the best option would be to cancel him and take the $50 hit. Fill out the form for Carnival saying you paid his deposit so that they will hold it for credit for you toward your next cruise and get a friend to go as the second passenger in your cabin. Then you are only out $50. Of course, you have to find a friend you would enjoy rooming with.

Sounds like the best option would be to cancel him and take the $50 hit. Fill out the form for Carnival saying you paid his deposit so that they will hold it for credit for you toward your next cruise and get a friend to go as the second passenger in your cabin. Then you are only out $50. Of course, you have to find a friend you would enjoy rooming with.

sounds like a terrible idea to me!!!

The new person would then have to pay the full fare. The compromise if you want a new pax is usually to keep the 2nd pax in place who will be a no show and if there is a triple in the same category, only have to pay the small 3rd pax fare additionally.

Unless the OP doesnt want to go on the cruise at all .. unless they have insurance, the best bet to me is to not say a word and have the 2nd pax just not show up and either go alone, or move to a triple and pay only the 3rd rate. I know I priced it out every which way when I was in this position. I finally decided to cruise solo.

remember even if the OP signs the fax for the credit in her name.. it cannot be used on THIS cruise... only on a future cruise.

Thank you all for your advise. I have decided to cruise SOLO and not ask for any money back until I am on the ship. I will ask for OBC credit. If they don't agree it will be okay with me until I get home and ask my credit card to have them send me the refund of taxes, etc. whatever..... if it is worth it to me.

I did ask a friend to join me as a third person but she decided to have her own cabin. I have learned my lesson on the EARLY SAVER:

1. Don't pay for another person even if they are relatives. Relatives flake out and I end up losing THEIR deposit that I paid for.

2. Saving the deposit for the unknown future of my grandson time to cruise is not a great idea. He will not be cruising with me in the next two years or more. I booked the cruise on a impulse. I should have known better.

3. Can't do NAME CHANGE AT ALL. BUMMER!

4. I have lost money but I have learned my lesson about the early saver plan.

5. Early saver plan is a gamble but worth it if it is just for my name only.

I have saved lots of money cruising with the Early Saver plan.

Next time I plan to put a deposit on a regular rate if I am traveling with relatives or friends. They always flake out and I end up paying for them

and cruising solo. Solo cruisers have to pay almost double on Princess.

Carnival sometimes gives me a better deal as a solo cruiser. LucyR.

Thank you all for your advise. I have decided to cruise SOLO and not ask for any money back until I am on the ship. I will ask for OBC credit. If they don't agree it will be okay with me until I get home and ask my credit card to have them send me the refund of taxes, etc. whatever..... if it is worth it to me.

Same advise as above .. there is nothing you can do onboard regarding getting back the fees and taxes. They will be AUTOMATICALLY refunded to your card if he doesnt board.

Once you board the people at the pursers desk are not in a position to do additional OBC ... its not going to help to talk to them. Just go and enjoy your cruise. I got the little refund weeks later.

Carnival used to do 150% on a 1A cabin .. no more, now it would be 200%, so dont sweat it. Carnival has decided to discourage solo cruisers, .. for whatever reason.

Unless the OP faxes a form to Carnival saying she paid it, the future cruise credit would be held in the name of the booked pax, not the OP.

if the OP can prove that she paid for the passenger--it will be given back to her

I don't think Carnival is discouraging solo cruisers so much as wanting to maximize their profits. They don't want to give a reduced rate for one person when they can have 2 full fare people in a room. They also don't like to put 3 people in a 4 person room. Do the 1A cabins ever drop to a good rate, because at the moment the reduction is quite small. I wish they had them in connecting rooms to a PH room though. I was looking at the 1A as an option for the kids if we decide we need more space.

As for ES - we booked it but you really have to be careful. I booked with a PVP and I really don't think he fully explained it (I know from reading here).

Thank you all for your great advise.

Firefly333, I hope to meet you someday on a cruise. I think you are really great at helping in answering with accurate information for us cruisers because you have the experience with the Early Saver plan and other cruise experiences.

Since I am retired I do look for the lowest rates for the cat.1-A's cabins.

I have found them as low as $329. per person on a 7 day cruise. I book them as a solo cruiser and I come up with a great deal. I used to get better deals before they raised the prices.

Info. for other cruisers: The Cat.1-A's are smaller and have one twin bed on the bottom and the top bed is locked up in the ceiling and the cabin steward brings it down when there are two persons in the cabin. The space is okay for one person.... or teenagers or college students. Plus, for people who don't spend much time in their cabins and pack moderate luggage.

Carnival is my favorite ships for cruising Solo. I like having a friend with me when I cruise on other cruise-lines because they are not the party ships and I can get lonely if I don't have a friend with me.lol.

Archived