Epic Mediterranean Cruise Sept. 2012

poma

I just booked the Epic Med. Cruise out of Barcelona for the week of 9/23/12. Can anyone tell me if this is a good time to cruise the mediterranean? We thought the weather would be cooler and the crowds not as large at this time instead of during the summer.

Has anyone done a Mediterranean cruise on Epic and what shore excursions are worth the money. Any other information would be great. I have never sailed on Norwegian.

Thanks,

Lorrie

In recent years Europe has had a late summer with August/Sept being hot months. As it's end of Sept though it should be quieter and the kids are back in school.

As for shore excursions the NCL prices looked incredibly high. You'd be better checking out your roll call thread for sharing private excursions!

Med in September is the best time of year. Not as hot but still very pleasant. No kids due to schools being back, ship will be less crowded and main sights also less crowded. Also, cruise fare will probably be better.

I have been on the Epic but not this itinerary although have done a similar itinerary before.

I would suggest you take a look at the reviews section and the port reviews in particular to get a steer on what to do. Most of the ports have a lot of options so I am sure you will find plenty of possibilities.

Enjoy.

We have sailed the end of Sept./first of Oct. and even Nov. in the Med. The weather will be warm and there should be few kids on board. The NCL tours for Italy are too expensive. Go to the Europe/Italy boards and look for some alternatives - also check out the Epic roll call to see if you can join any tours with others you are sailing with. The Med is my favorite cruise destination.

Hi Lorrie,

September is a good month to be in the Mediterranean, it's usually a bit cooler than July & August, and all the big summer holidays of European schools will have ended by the end of August.

Although September is still a warm month, there might be a slight chance of an early autumn-rainshower now and then, so do pack an umbrella & a thin summercoat, just in case!

Being an European myself, and having been many times to Mediterranean countries, I think cruise excursions are WAY overpriced when booked via the cruiseline. Specially when you realise that expenses in Med-countries are usually quite cheap!

I usually rent a car in advance, which will costs you in these countries Eur. 50,- at max! You have the freedom to see what you want to see, and you'll be in charge of your own day-planning!

Enjoy!

My last 8 years I cruise the med in sept or early oct. The weather is great and 1 year it was really hot but still kids are in school. Last year I went end of oct to early nov it was cold and wet. So now I would stay with sept early oct. Look on your roll call for peole who want to share excursions. I love this cruise thats why I did it 8 years in a row

When we cruised around the first of Nov. we did have one rainy day - and it was not pleasant. However, the rest of the weather was wonderful - cool in the morning, warm in the afternoon - not shorts - but no coats either. We went the first week in Oct and had fabulous weather, but the cruise before ours had rain almost the whole time - there is no guarantees so take that rain gear, and pray you don't use it ;) And when we rented a car in Monte Carlo (that was the rain day) the car with GPS and insurance (a must when out of the country) was around 100 euro - expensive, but as this was our second trip to Monte Carlo we felt comfortable moving futher away from the city. I know lots of people say renting a car is fine, but if it is your first trip, you may want to stick with the trains and tour companies. Check out the Europe boards for really good info.

We just got back from our Epic cruise (May 21). It was better than amazing. The weather was fantastic (the odd thunderstorm but quickly over). The crowds were pretty bad in Pompeii despite it being early in the season.

We got a driver in Naples to take us to the Almafi Coast and pompeii. You can often get a group together through your roll call which makes it cheaper.

As we had seen both Florence and Rome we didn't do tours there, just enjoyed the quiet ship (I even did the slides).

The Epic is a destination in itself.

Enjoy

:-)

Booked in December 2010 because we liked the itinerary. It will be my first cruise ever; my friend has cruised many times but never Europe so we thought it would be appropriate as a way to mark one of those milestone birthdays - we both were born in the same year. I've been posting and reading about the Epic on these boards ever since, and can't wait until I start conversing with others on this cruise. Already getting lots of really great tips from those posting this year's European legs.

Hope you choose this one as well.

Archived